snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 30 January 2019, 02:07 PM

Default 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett attacked in possible hate crime

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/enter...ack/index.html

Quote:
"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett was attacked in the early morning hours on Tuesday in what Chicago police are calling a possible hate crime.

Smollett was attacked by two people who were "yelling out racial and homophobic slurs" and "poured an unknown chemical substance on the victim," police said.
One of Smollett's alleged attackers also put a rope around his neck, according to police. Both fled the scene.
I'm glad we live in a post-racist (and post-homophobic) society, otherwise things could have gotten serious.
Old 31 January 2019, 04:30 PM

I like how ""yelling out racial and homophobic slurs" and "poured an unknown chemical substance on the victim," police said. One of Smollett's alleged attackers also put a rope around his neck" all this, translates to a "possible" hate crime...

because people who commit crimes for professional reasons go around with bleach and rope... just in case they need to make it look like a hate crime, right?
Old 31 January 2019, 04:57 PM

That's just standard disclaimers since it hasn't been proven to be a hate crime in a court of law. And while I doubt that's the case, people have committed what appear to be random crimes to cover up a crime against a specific target.
Old 04 February 2019, 01:05 PM

Icon05

There's an odd smell about the way this case is being covered that I can't quite figure out. The news stories keep making oblique statements that sound like there's doubt whether it happened the way Smollett says it did, but they don't explain that doubt. It's always "Smollett says he was attacked" instead of "he was attacked." There's emphasis on him not giving police his phone to prove he was talking to his agent (as if that was necessary). Mention is made that he added the "MAGA country" to his story after his initial report, but only one story I heard made mention of him changing his story – indirectly and only in the context of Smollett seeming to address those allegations. One reporter on a soft news show said he was a pleasant and decent man – something you don't normally hear at the start of a story about a celebrity. All in all it's like I'm expected to know what's fishy here by word of mouth – again not normal reporting.

I keep thinking it may have something to do with the hate crime aspect of this, but I'm not sure how. Normally if anyone - black or white, gay or straight - says he was attacked, we tend to believe him. Certainly if Smollett was a woman claiming a sexual attack, it would be unthinkable to report the story this way. Perhaps it's a case of the media confusing context with bias. To avoid looking like they're prejudiced against Smollett, they don't explain why some people are prejudiced – leaving people like me confused. If there is legitimate reason to doubt his story, say so; if doubts are there but seem unwarranted, tell us what they are and why they are unwarranted.
Old 04 February 2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
There's an odd smell about the way this case is being covered that I can't quite figure out...
Thank you for putting into words what I've been thinking. I don't want to say that I doubt the story - worse things can and do happen, sadly, all the time. But as you say, there's been a lot of hinting at inconsistencies, questionable elements, etc., but no one seems to be actively questioning the narrative. Again, there's no reason that anyone should be by default, but the media reporting has been strange. It's like they want to have it both ways - be able to claim the moral high ground for sticking by the victim assuming that evidence corroborates the event as described, but express juuuust enough skepticism to be able to claim that they were sniffing out the story early on if it goes a different way.

This is another of those cases where I wind up hoping, perversely, that the attack was genuine and happened as described, because otherwise it gives anecdotal ammunition to the racist, homophobic idiots out there, who then might use that as incentive for further violence and horrible acts of intimidation.
Old 04 February 2019, 04:24 PM

Honestly, I'd be more suspicious if the details of the story didn't change. Memory is a tricky thing. It's not a video recording that captures every detail perfectly for instant recall at a later time.
Old 04 February 2019, 05:37 PM

You bring up a good point, crocoduck_hunter.

Trauma affects the release of neurotransmitters that are more focused on keeping a person's body alive than retaining memories. As a result of the flood of neurotransmitters, new pathways are built and memories get stored in different pieces in different areas that may take more or less time for the person to access once they've overcome the trauma.

Trauma-informed police interviewing is important and something that I believe more precincts are beginning to understand.

Inconsistencies from a bad guy could mean that they're forgetting their lies.

Inconsistencies from a trauma survivor (especially if they're being pressured into giving answers soon after the trauma) often corroborate the fact they've been traumatized and are victims.

So police need to know that similar behaviors can be due to different causes.

Police officers in officer-involved shootings are often told to have at least one full sleep cycle before answering any questions related to the event, and they've been trained to deal with and overcome trauma quickly. Perhaps similar procedures should take place with victims as well.

All that being said, I'm with others that the way this is being covered is set up as if the reporters don't quite believe what the victim is saying. Or at least they are hedging their bets and wording things very carefully in case more detail comes out later that contradicts the current story. Maybe the whole "FAKE NEWS!" protests have made them extra careful, especially since this has anti-Trump supporter stuff going on.
Old 04 February 2019, 06:51 PM

It certainly seems that that's what the media's doing.

So far, there haven't been any reports of the medical examination showing inconsistencies with his story like a lack of chemical burns or bruising patterns consistent with the attack, right?
Old 04 February 2019, 07:23 PM

Right. Which is what makes the insinuations so maddening. I believe that I read that two people were wanted for questioning (don't know if they got a hold of them or not), so hopefully they're getting close to catching the guys and can dispense with the weird hedging.
Old 16 February 2019, 11:16 PM

Icon18

Police sources: New evidence suggests Jussie Smollett orchestrated attack
Quote:
Chicago (CNN) — Two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation told CNN that Chicago Police believe Jussie Smollett paid two men to orchestrate the assault.

The brothers, who were arrested Wednesday, were released without charges Friday after Chicago police cited the discovery of "new evidence." The sources told CNN that the two men are now cooperating fully with law enforcement.
The "weird hedging" just got a whole lot hedgier.
Old 17 February 2019, 11:07 PM

...and now more details have emerged.

Jussie Smollett Case: Brothers Questioned By Police Were Paid $3,500 To Stage Attack, Which Was Rehearsed Days Before, Sources Say
Old 20 February 2019, 09:53 PM

Jussie Smollett now considered suspect in his report of hate-crime attack, Chicago police say

"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett, whose claim of being attacked in a possible hate crime came under doubt, is now suspected of filing a false police report, which is a felony, Chicago police said Wednesday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-crime-n973036
Old 20 February 2019, 10:17 PM

*grumble* Thanks for (allegedly) making life harder for actual victims of hate crimes...
Old 21 February 2019, 01:15 PM

Ponder

What would be the actual purpose of this?

Just publicity?

And as for the two brothers who did the act...
Did they not think that maybe they ought to say no to being asked to commit a criminal act? How did he convince them to go ahead with it? "it's all going to be fake, but you need to punch me for real"

Quite a headscratcher...
Old 21 February 2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post

And as for the two brothers who did the act...
Did they not think that maybe they ought to say no to being asked to commit a criminal act? How did he convince them to go ahead with it? "it's all going to be fake, but you need to punch me for real"

Quite a headscratcher...
Smollett wants attention?

The two (alleged) perps did it for $?

OY
Old 21 February 2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
*grumble* Thanks for (allegedly) making life harder for actual victims of hate crimes...
Exactly. I've already seen this case invoked once on social media by a right-wing commenter using it as "proof" that "there are no crises except lies cooked up by libs." Never mind that for every Jussie Smollett, there are countless actual horrible acts perpetrated all the time.

I imagine that his colleagues who supported him in the early days of this story are pissed.
Old 21 February 2019, 02:15 PM

Jussie Smollett arrested for allegedly making up hate-crime attack
Quote:
"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett has been arrested for allegedly filing a false police report claiming he was the victim of a hate-crime attack in Chicago, a police spokesman said early Thursday.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-crime-n973036
Old 21 February 2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
It certainly didn't help anything, but I don't know if it really did much damage either. The people claiming this means that there are no hate crimes would just have found another excuse anyway.
Old 21 February 2019, 03:06 PM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post

Just publicity?

Apparently, Smollett thought his salary was too low.
Old 21 February 2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It certainly didn't help anything, but I don't know if it really did much damage either. The people claiming this means that there are no hate crimes would just have found another excuse anyway.
It's still something that people who are on the fence about the issue of hate crimes are going to look at and say "huh, maybe those people saying they're all faked by liberals have a point."