snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 June 2018, 05:37 PM

Bang Head "Upskirting bill" blocked by one MP in the UK

Quote:
A bill to make upskirting a specific criminal offence punishable by up to two years in prison has been blocked in the House of Commons after a single Conservative MP objected to it.

The voyeurism (offences) bill on upskirting – the taking of surreptitious, sexually intrusive images – was put forward by the Liberal Democrat MP Wera Hobhouse after a campaign by Gina Martin. Police have declined to prosecute a man Martin accused of taking underskirt pictures of her on his phone at a music festival in London last summer.

As a private member’s bill it would normally have little chance of becoming law. But early on Friday the justice minister Lucy Frazer said the government would back it.

However, when the deputy speaker Lindsay Hoyle read out the name of the bill later that day, the Tory MP Christopher Chope shouted: “Object”. Without sufficient time in the session for a proper vote it was sent back for another try on 6 July.

The MP for Christchurch also used the Commons session to delay another government-backed bill, which would make it an offence to attack police dogs or horses, or prison officer dogs.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...pskirting-bill

When even your own party shouts "Shame !" at you, maybe you should consider retirement, you worthless piece of manure.

Last edited by Kermor; 16 June 2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 17 June 2018, 02:44 PM

Baseball

We had a similar situation in Canada a few years ago where one politician would object vociferously to any legislation put forth by one committee because he considered the head of that committee to be a fraud of a politician.

I could understand it if the politician who objected did so because he thought the legislation did not go far enough, went too far, or had some area of concern or error. But in this case, it looks like it was more a case of him wanting to disrupt the legislative process.
Old 17 June 2018, 04:10 PM

Backbencher Christopher Chope says he backs bill but objected for procedural reasons
Old 17 June 2018, 04:33 PM

Yes, there's an opinion piece here from somebody who's encountered him before, and basically he does this all the time on all sorts of bills just to be difficult (or "stand up for Parliamentary scrutiny" as he apparently puts it). He's just never managed to annoy quite as many people at once with it before:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...las-no-contest

Quote:
Chope will no doubt lean on this defence to explain why he objected to a bill that would have made sexual offenders of perverts who instead of calling their mothers are using their iPhones as their only chance of ever seeing a vagina. He will exclaim that the bill needed more scrutiny. I dare say he will claim he fully supports the bill. I call bullshit on that. He doesn’t care less about women who have suffered this indignity.

I was part of a group of MPs who tried to put forward a bill that would have allowed mothers’ names to be listed on marriage certificates. The Tory MP who was taking the bill through parliament sheepishly approached me and said it wasn’t going to pass because he’d had a chat with Chope who didn’t like the bill because of something some vicar in his constituency had said to him. So our old friend Chope and no doubt an imaginary vicar trumped a nation of mothers. That was that. I searched for him in the corridors of Westminster that day in order to give him a bollocking, but couldn’t find him – it wasn’t a Friday and I can’t say I have ever noticed him doing anything but wrecking bills.
Old 10 February 2019, 07:59 PM

Shout

You know, when I heard about the upskirting bill blocking, I wanted to slap him. When I heard that he had similarly blocked a bill which would make an offence to stab police dogs and horses, I wanted to kick his a**e. Now, I just want to strangle him :

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...es-deselection

Quote:
Demands for Conservative MP Christopher Chope to be kicked out of the party were mounting last night as colleagues and campaigners voiced their anger over his move to block a law protecting girls from female genital mutilation (FGM).

Chope, who gained infamy after previously halting a bill to make upskirting a criminal offence, blocked a planned law protecting children from FGM by shouting “object!” when the bill was presented on Friday to the Commons for its second reading.
The sooner that piece of s**t is gone, the better.
Old 10 February 2019, 10:06 PM

Did they eventually manage to get the other two bills through?
Old 11 February 2019, 06:16 PM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Did they eventually manage to get the other two bills through?
Yes for the upskirting bill and yes for the service animals.

Hurrah.
Old 11 February 2019, 08:56 PM

Thanks, Sultana.