snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 24 January 2019, 11:48 PM

"Only 1 in 10 people are gay, therefore if [the new Ghostbusters sequel] has only four Ghostbusters then statistically it's impossible for one of them to be gay" is not how statistics work. It's not remotely how statistics work. It's also one of the stupidest arguments against having a gay character in a film I've ever heard.
Old 25 January 2019, 05:23 AM

To add on, statistically impossible is not a thing. Something is possible or impossible.
Old 25 January 2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
"Only 1 in 10 people are gay, therefore if [the new Ghostbusters sequel] has only four Ghostbusters then statistically it's impossible for one of them to be gay" is not how statistics work. It's not remotely how statistics work. It's also one of the stupidest arguments against having a gay character in a film I've ever heard.
We've already had two teams of 4 Ghostbusters and none of them are openly gay so if that was how statistics worked then one of this next group of 4 would have to be gay.

(Paul Feig and Kate McKinnon confirmed that Holtzmann is gay after the 2016 movie came out but the studio pretty much banned them from making it too obvious in the film, and they had to be pretty coy talking about it for a while)
Old 25 January 2019, 01:47 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
(Paul Feig and Kate McKinnon confirmed that Holtzmann is gay after the 2016 movie came out but the studio pretty much banned them from making it too obvious in the film, and they had to be pretty coy talking about it for a while)
Which leads us to the immortal question: which is worse, poor representation or no representation?

Merely saying the character was a closeted (by the studio) homosexual isn’t necessarily better than just leaving the question open/unanswered. And it may even be worse. Especially when it’s such a bad movie.
Old 25 January 2019, 04:18 PM

Isn't the problem really a matter of assumption that if there is no indication one way or another that characters much be straight? Or even more to the point, that an assumption needs to be made anyway?

I entirely agree with seeing a much greater diversity in sexuality of characters, but I would much rather that it stop being some characteristic we need to attach to every character. It just adds fuel to this myth that people aren't complete if they aren't actively pursuing an attraction to someone else.
Old 25 January 2019, 04:39 PM

I thought it was pretty obvious that Holtzmann was attracted to women.
Old 25 January 2019, 05:58 PM

I thought she was way more into technology than humans of any gender.
Old 27 January 2019, 10:46 AM

Whalephant

An extended cab pick-up truck is not a compact car. It should not be parked in the "compact car only" section of the parking garage. Especially when the driving lane is a little on the narrow side.
Old 27 January 2019, 02:48 PM

I hate people that do that. Especially given that they often try to take up more than one parking place.
Old 27 January 2019, 02:54 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I hate people that do that. Especially given that they often try to take up more than one parking place.
Oh, two other pick-up trucks elsewhere in the garage did that. They both spilled into the parking space between them. Only a motorcycle could have parked there. I was doubly irate because I was worried about getting a spot and since I was heading to the courthouse to be a juror (it was the second day of the trial) I definitely couldn't be late.
Old 28 January 2019, 01:39 AM

Mouse

Donít have any words of wisdom to offer about jerks who canít park, but I have a webcomic link. Thatís just as good, right?
Old 28 January 2019, 02:00 AM

I knew it was going to be xkcd before I looked.
Old 28 January 2019, 03:01 AM

Sometimes that happens in real life as well.

Old 28 January 2019, 06:10 AM

Was that staged?
Old 28 January 2019, 12:46 PM

I would guess it's staged. If nothing else, if real it would invite retaliation from the driver of the damaged car, if they get back to the parking space first -- their car's already damaged, it would be very tempting to back out at the angle at which they went in, thereby inflicting equivalent damage on the car belonging to the person with the saw.
Old 28 January 2019, 01:16 PM

Driver Watch This Probably Fake Video Of A Russian Guy Cutting The Corner Off A Car So He Ca

Jalopnik gave some reasons they thought it was staged.
Quote:
First of all, this is almost certainly staged. The car that gets angle-ground is an old, bumperless Lada, the most likely sacrificial car of the ones seen in the video.
https://jalopnik.com/watch-this-prob...ing-1823805275
Old 28 January 2019, 02:32 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Especially when the driving lane is a little on the narrow side.
I flat out won't park in garages with narrow driving lanes (I drive a small, extended cab truck) because they're too hard to drive a vehicle with a long wheelbase in.

Because my vehicle is fairly narrow, I also make it a point to park as close to dead center in the parking spot as I can, even--especially--when this means the bad parker beside me who parked right on the line may have difficulty getting into, or out of, their car. It's not my fault you can't park.

Seaboe
Old 28 January 2019, 09:11 PM

One parking garage at my grad school was terrible for bad parkers. One person would be on/slightly over the line on one side, so the person next to them had to be slightly over, and on and on until there's 5-6 cars in a row that are all off by a foot. Then one little bicycle space between the last car and the support pillar. I'd park on the top floor and take the walk rather than join the row of badly parked, wondering whether the other bad pearkers would all leave before me and I'd just look like an @ss.
Old 29 January 2019, 02:36 PM

I've occasionally been forced by the bad parking of previous parkers into parking in a bad position myself -- other people are over the line in such a fashion that the only available space left to park straddles the line.

Part of what bothers me about this is that the people who caused the problem may leave before I do, in which case anyone else coming into the lot after they leave isn't going to know that I only parked that way for lack of another choice. ETA: it occurs to me on re-reading that that's also what worries mbravo.
Old 29 January 2019, 02:39 PM

This is why we need Polaroid cameras. When you arrive and the only spot is next to a bad parker, you take a picture of the bad parker with the empty space. Then you post it on the trunk of your car with a note pointing out that you had to park that way because of the other parker.