snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 12 December 2018, 09:39 AM

Default Your Christmas Movie Traditions

The day is fast approaching, so let’s talk about these!

Tři oříšky pro Popelku (Three Nuts For Cinderella): I stumbled upon this one several years ago. It’s a Czech/German retelling of the Cinderella story, with Cinderella (Libuše Šafránková) being given three hazelnuts that give her dresses at key points. It’s not a particularly spectacular movie (and until a couple of weeks ago, my experience was hampered by bad subtitles) but it is at least worth a gander. Especially since this is one of the few tellings to explain why the Prince needs to go by shoe size. Bizarrely, I found this one on my local iTunes library.

Other than that, my tastes run pretty pedestrian. Old Miracle (even though Mara is awesome, I prefer the old one), Wonderful Life and Nightmare Before Christmas are all favourites. Also, the occasional A Christmas Carol adaptation has passed my way. Also, I have sat through all five Home Alone movies (I kinda like 3, 4 was an insult and 5 was a bit better).

Also, I did once see an hour-long TV movie about a girl losing her teddy called En liten Julsaga. Any idea where I might find it?
Old 12 December 2018, 12:44 PM

I have only two things I have to watch around Christmas.

Sadly, one of them won't be on until New Year's Day this year: Doctor Who. Admittedly I didn't always watch the Christmas episodes on Christmas Day itself because quite often Christmas visitors would keep talking over it. But I still joked that Christmas was a day where we all get together to celebrate a person who was sent to earth to be our saviour and who came back from the dead - meaning the Doctor, obviously.

The second thing is The Snowman. I'm referring of course to the animated Raymond Briggs film, not the poorly-received thriller of the same name. I can't easily express what it is about this film that has always resonated so deeply with me. There's something almost spiritual about it. It's a subdued little gem at a time when everything else is noise and manic cheerfulness. It helps that the film is beautiful to look at with its muted, dreamlike colours, and the music is gorgeous too (I really love the upbeat tune during the snowman dance scene and would like a digital copy of it).

I always identified more with the little boy in the film, despite the fact that he doesn't say a word, than with any other child protagonist of any other movie. I identified with the gentle quietness of it all. The joyful moments aren't aggressively forced Christmas cheer like in so many other Christmas movies. The sad ending is perfect too and I felt its message was undermined slightly by the more recent sequel. Yes, the snowman melts at the end, but didn't he have an amazing life while it lasted? Christmas doesn't last forever, a snowman doesn't last forever, a person doesn't last forever: that's why you have to appreciate things to the fullest while you can.

Oh and, mocked as it often is, the song still gets me right in the Christmas spirit. I like the Irn Bru version too, though.

If you haven't seen it, seek it out.

Last edited by Blatherskite; 12 December 2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 12 December 2018, 01:00 PM

Elf

and other words...

"Santa! I know him!" has become a traditional family greeting for Santa with us and our nieces.
Old 12 December 2018, 01:27 PM

A Christmas Story (the BB gun movie). Multiple stations run it back to back for 24 hours so we start watching at any point and watch until we get to that point again.

A Charlie Brown Christmas if we can catch it. For some reason, it seems to get played only once on a Wednesday evening 10 days before Christmas.

If we see that Rudolph or the original Grinch are on we will watch them too.
Old 12 December 2018, 02:46 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Also, I did once see an hour-long TV movie about a girl losing her teddy called En liten Julsaga. Any idea where I might find it?
Have you tried YouTube?

My primary Xmas movies are Scrooge and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Seaboe
Old 12 December 2018, 02:55 PM

We watch a Muppet Christmas Carol and the Boris Karloff Grinch every year. We also make sure to check the TV schedules so we don't end up having A Christmas Story, Elf, It's a Wonderful Life, or any Hallmark type specials show up at all. Everything else may be watched if it is on TV while we are doing other things.
Old 12 December 2018, 03:58 PM

I'm not a Grinch, but I've been so swamped with Christmas music and movies every year that I no longer have any interest. But my wife will watch almost any Christmas TV show and movie, from the old Rankin/Bass stuff to whatever pops up on Lifetime or the Hallmark Channel - even if it's way out of season (I believe Hallmark had a run of Christmas movies back in the summer). Last night I called her bluff and we watched a couple of groaners called Christmas on the Bayou and Christmas in Mississippi on Lifetime. She gave up before I did! Not that I was actually watching, nor was she, but she went to bed first. Don't think she'll let me pick a Christmas show again...

On the plus side, Christmas on the Bayou starred Ed Asner, or, as I pointed out to my son, the voice of Granny Goodness.
Old 12 December 2018, 06:30 PM

TV

Last year I hauled out my (somewhat grainy, probably bootleg) copy of the 1991 BBC TV movie "Bernard and the Genie," which is a charming, funny holiday tale by Richard Curtis, starring Alan Cumming (very young and fresh-faced), Lenny Henry, and Rowan Atkinson.

I also have a VHS of "On the Twelfth Day..." which is a 1955 British short film which my mom and I laughed ourselves sick watching on cable TV late one Christmas Eve long ago. I searched for it for years and finally found two beat-up VHS copies on eBay. Now it's available on YouTube (link above).

I hope someone plays the Albert Finney "Scrooge" this year, as it's probably my favorite version of the tale, if not precisely the best or most accurate.

Other than that, we're a "Christmas Story" family. I'm actually one of the few people who went to see it on its original release, in a movie theater, long before it became a TV classic. I never get tired of it - although I don't need to watch it all day on Christmas Day.
Old 12 December 2018, 06:55 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
I hope someone plays the Albert Finney "Scrooge" this year, as it's probably my favorite version of the tale, if not precisely the best or most accurate.
I have it on video tape, if you'd like to borrow it. I bought it when I realized that each year, Thank You Very Much was getting shorter and shorter.

Plus, until I watched the video, I had never seen the Scrooge in Hell portion (it was always cut from the broadcast version).

I should see if I can get a The Man Who Invented Christmas this year.

Seaboe
Old 12 December 2018, 06:57 PM

For "classic" Scrooge, my favorite is Alistair Sims. For updated Scrooge, I like Bill Murray in Scrooged. It always gets dusty at the end when the boy says "God bless us, every one."
Old 12 December 2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
On the plus side, Christmas on the Bayou starred Ed Asner, or, as I pointed out to my son, the voice of Granny Goodness.
Always wondered what inspired that particular bit of casting -- not that he didn't do a fine job.

(Also liked his turn as Kent Nelson in Young Justice) [/hijack]

No traditional Christmas movies here. Just not that kind of a thing for me these days.
Old 12 December 2018, 07:54 PM

Hoo boy, where to start? White Christmas, the original Miracle on 34th Street, some of the Rankin-Bass stuff, and the Boris Karloff-narrated, Chuck Jones-animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas. My favorite Christmas Carol is the George C. Scott version. Also the Muppet Christmas special where they spend the holiday at Fozzie Bear's mom's house, along with "Doc" from Fraggle Rock.
Old 12 December 2018, 08:08 PM

Die Hard and White Christmas, and I also like to catch a couple of the Lifetime/Hallmark Channel-type movies.

I just saw Jim Henson's Holiday Special at the theater, which included Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas and a Christmas-esque episode of Fraggle Rock. Emmet Otter really holds up to my childhood memories; the puppetry is incredible (a puppet otter rolling out pie crust!) and it's super cute. Also a nice sweet story, not religious or glurgy. I'll probably add this to my yearly list. The Fraggle Rock episode was nice to see for nostalgia but if you're older than 6 you probably won't get much out of it.
Old 12 December 2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
A Christmas Story (the BB gun movie). Multiple stations run it back to back for 24 hours so we start watching at any point and watch until we get to that point again.
That's my tradition as well. On Christmas morning I get up and turn on TBS and start watching at whatever point it's at, and leave it on in the background while doing other Christmas stuff. Eventually I see the whole thing throughout the day, even if not in the right order. But that doesn't matter much since really the only plot is Ralphie trying to get the BB gun for Christmas, the rest is just a series of short vignettes.
Old 12 December 2018, 08:28 PM

Emmet Otter was a childhood favorite for sure. When you realize just how much work went into that production, it's incredible.

Old 12 December 2018, 08:40 PM

Whalephant

Die Hard, Did Hard 2, Lethal Weapon and The Ref.
Old 12 December 2018, 08:42 PM

Throw Tomato

That was awesome! They stayed in character the whole time.

FYI the special is playing again at theaters nationwide on the 16th.
Old 12 December 2018, 11:19 PM

Pretty much any version of A Christmas Carol, but my top 3 favorites are the Richard Williams/Chuck Jones animated version from 1972, Scooge the musical with Albert Finney, and the George C. Scott 1984 version. Scrooged with Bill Murray is a very close to third fourth.

The first one I mentioned is an amazing adaptation and does quite a good job at telling the story despite being only 22 minutes long. Scrooge is voiced by Alistair Sim, Jacob Marley is absolutely terrifying, and it's the only version I've ever seen that makes an attempt at depicting the Ghost of Christmas Past as Dickens described it. That was always my favorite of the Ghosts, because the description is just so damn trippy. The Jim Carrey CGI version got close by making it like a candle, but it wound up looking like Chris Kattan going to the Roxbury... (Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more!)

I also like to try to catch the Rankin-Bass animated and stop-motion specials. I like how they made their own "cinematic universe" long, long before the Marvel movies.

Then there are the other classic, such as the Grinch and Charlie Brown. Gotta see those!
Old 13 December 2018, 12:25 AM

We try and watch a rather large pile of Christmas movies on DVD from about Thanksgiving to New Years, but we always start and end with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
Old 13 December 2018, 12:57 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
For "classic" Scrooge, my favorite is Alistair Sims.
That's my favourite too. I watch that one every year and "It's a Wonderful Life". I try to avoid most other Christmas movies.