snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 13 April 2016, 01:14 AM

Last night, crawfish etoufee. Tonight, blackened fish, at a jazz bistro on Frenchman Street. Oh, and lunch was shrimp and grits with bread pudding for dessert. I am loving the food in NOLA so far.
Old 13 April 2016, 02:21 PM

Glasses

Last night, dinner was a thin-cut pork loin chop cooked in lemon, ginger and a little black pepper. It was very good, even though I used too much lemon. I've already prepped the recipe for next time in my head:

1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tsp. lemon
1/2 tsp. ginger
black pepper to taste

Brown the chop, add the liquid and let it boil down (believe me, the chop will be cooked by that time). Serve over rice.

Seaboe
Old 13 April 2016, 07:00 PM

Fillet, smashed potatoes with avocado aioli, and roasted asparagus.

Related, yesterday was my and LizzyBean's eighth wedding anniversary.
Old 13 April 2016, 07:14 PM

Nice!

I finally cleaned enough of my kitchen and adjusted my mood enough to cook properly again, after a week or two of mostly takeaways and sandwiches. On Sunday and Monday I had kedgeree. Yesterday and today, lamb stewed slowly in red wine with onion, garlic, peppers and tomato, with lemon-zesty couscous. I've got some "mini" portabella mushrooms that I'll probably use for a mushroom risotto tomorrow.

The lamb is partly based on a dish I cooked at my parents' house for my mum and brother a couple of weeks ago when my dad was in hospital / had just come out. (He was discharged while I was cooking!) It was a recipe my dad likes but usually adjusts to his own taste, whereas I did it as close to the recipe as I could - as I usually do when I first try a new recipe.

It involved a whole leg of lamb slow-cooked for several hours in a dish in the oven with blended onion, garlic, leek and celery, together with fried aubergine and tomato; also harissa and a bit of cinnamon. It was really good, although I say so myself, but it made an enormous quantity. My dad couldn't eat any the day he came out so we had it again (reheated) for lunch the next day, and my mum also froze several meals' worth to have with guests they were expecting later in the week. I think we worked out it would be 12 decent-sized servings from the one dish - so even if I had a casserole big enough, it would be unfeasible to do it just for myself unfortunately! I could maybe try it with just a shank...

The only part I can do directly is the couscous, which is just couscous with butter and lemon zest and very easy - but for some reason that's absolutely perfect with this, and is now my favourite way to prepare couscous.
Old 30 May 2016, 06:27 PM

Last night I attempted to make this Texas style chili recipe some snopester posted several months ago. The only problem was that I don't have a blender; I have a food processor. I assumed that would work just as well, but when I tempted to puree the chili/broth mixture it just kept splashing up and getting all over the counter (food processors don't have a rubber seal like blenders). So the chilies just ended up being coarsely chopped rather than pureed. Other that that little mishap it came out really good, even with the large chunks of chilies.