snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 11 November 2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'll give you the second part of that, but only at the cost of the first. Death and life are halves of the same thing; one doesn't cause the other, but they're not separable.
If you said it the other way, yes: 100% of deaths have been attributed to life. But since there are over a million trillion trillion (30 zeroes!) living organisms on this planet alone, who have not yet died*, evidence for life causing death 100% of the time is dubious. (*Cue bacteria shouting Monty Python line: "I'm not dead yet!")
Old 12 November 2015, 12:19 AM

Arguably, organisms that reproduce by binary fission are (so far) immortal. On the one hand, each 'daughter' is as much a continuation of the parent as the other. On the other hand, after several generations, it's kind of like homeopathy, in that there may well not be a single atom that was present in a parent ten or so generations back. The concept is all the more muddied by the ready exchange of genetic material between many unicellular organisms.
Old 12 November 2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My father had heart disease. So did both his parents, his half-brothers, his full brothers, his sister, and at least one of his nephews. When Dad had his first open heart surgery at the age of 52, he asked "what could I have done to avoid this?" and the surgeon said "pick different parents."

Seaboe
One positive of genetics (well a minor positive but I will take it) is that I don't look my age. When first finding how old I am people ask how I do it, expecting, I am sure, a skin care routine or some such. I always say "Well first you have to pick the right parents"
Old 12 November 2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Arguably, organisms that reproduce by binary fission are (so far) immortal.
Lots of those species have presumably gone extinct as well so the evidence for all such organisms being immortal is also not great.

But just to be clear, I'm also talking about the eukaryotes. Not all of us are dead yet so, so far, life has not caused death 100% of the time.
Old 12 November 2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Lots of those species have presumably gone extinct as well so the evidence for all such organisms being immortal is also not great.

But just to be clear, I'm also talking about the eukaryotes. Not all of us are dead yet so, so far, life has not caused death 100% of the time.
Considering the age of the Earth, and the sheer number of things that have lived on Earth and died, 99.99999999999% (the number of 9s was pulled out of thin air; no actual calculations were done) of things that have ever lived have died, well within anyone's reasonable margin of error.
Old 12 November 2015, 02:30 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
That said, I'm still not going to make radical changes in my diet based on articles I read on the internet.
Or my exercise regime, or medical regime, or where I live....

Seaboe
Old 12 November 2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Considering the age of the Earth, and the sheer number of things that have lived on Earth and died [...]
Why do you hate immortality so?
Old 13 November 2015, 04:35 PM

As Woody Allen once said,

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my works; I want to achieve it through not dying."
Old 14 November 2015, 11:31 AM

Back on the topic of people not letting you just not like certain things. I did a free course today on "10 Essential Plants for Your Edible Garden" and it was quite good. A bit hippy trippy (i.e. organic gardening and superfoody) and it was more for people who had yards and were wanting to be a bit more self sustaining. But it was interesting and well free, so can't complain.

At one point she said "Who here doesn't like beetroot (beets)?" and I raised my hand and she said "Was it pickled you'll like it if you try it fresh" Me: "My Dad used to grow it" Sigh one of those "You just havn't done it right" people. Although she did allow I was allowed to not like something. And to be honest I have never heard of pickled beetroot, did she mean canned? I don't think canned beetroot is pickled? Is it pickled?
Old 14 November 2015, 12:17 PM

Yes, it's pickled. And it's a lot different than not-pickled. I particularly like Harvard Beets. Plus you can pickle eggs in the leftover beet juice and they turn an amazing pink.
Old 14 November 2015, 04:46 PM

I actually don't mind not-pickled beets. Pickled is a whole 'nother story.
Old 14 November 2015, 04:51 PM

Some canned/jarred beets are pickled and some aren't. My supermarket sells both
Old 14 November 2015, 04:57 PM

I don't eat the beets, but I use them pickle eggs, which I love. I have made the mistake of buying non-pickled beets, there is a big difference.
Old 15 November 2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Some canned/jarred beets are pickled and some aren't. My supermarket sells both
nfbsk I have been to supermarket twice since posting that question and both times forgot to check.
Old 15 November 2015, 12:16 PM

I also remember having blithely bit into a non-pickled canned beet, having previously tasted only pickled ones, and being quite shocked by the taste. Not a pleasant shock, either.

I've since learned to eat non-pickled beets in certain contexts -- they're nice in a salad with goat cheese -- but I still prefer the pickled ones.
Old 24 November 2015, 01:53 AM

This is on the topic to trying to increase the vegies in their diet.

I have been trying to increas my veggie intake for the last few years. I grow lettuce and just pick the number of leaves I need. This saves me having a whole lettuce from the supermarket and having most of it go off in the fridge before I can use it.

I also brought two bags of mixed veggies recently (they were on special) both asian mixes, one thai and one chinese. I cut them up small and used them in steamed chicken wontons. I also try to do stirfries regularly. Stirfries are one of the first things I learned how to cook. I also did a thai curry last night and all thought the recipe didn't have veggies or at least a lot of veggies in it, I add some of my asian mix in.