snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 21 July 2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
It was an excellent idea but once the guy who created it retired it kind of petered out. No more movie nights or other get-togethers, the cars weren't as good. It was kind of sad.
We bought 6 Saturns and would still be buying them now if they were around. The treatment at the dealership was just so different. You were a face and mattered. They knew your name. And not because they'd checked the file.
I still remember the mechanic who worked on my car. His name was Joe.
It was a pretty different car company compared to its parents, that's for sure. But the quality wasn't so much different (at least to me). Oil consumption in the 2 quart/3,000 miles was common and sometimes reported as normal by the dealers. Here's a webpage with a number of recalls: http://www.autosafety.org/saturn-all-models

Their marketing was really good in getting the customer a "feel good feeling" and making the customer feel special.

OY
Old 23 July 2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
Just as an FYI, most GPS units now have a speedometer feature. And most cell phones are GPS enabled and many apps exist for a speedometer.

[Not knowing when that speedo' broke, I can't speak for whether this was available to you].

OY
It was June 2013, so I definitely should have been able to get something on my iPhone -- it didn't even occur to me, though - thanks for the heads up!

I didn't commit to a Canadian cell phone until August so I probably wouldn't have wanted to pay ATT's international roaming charges anyway. Well, to be honest, I would have done the math at an OnRoute to figure out which would cost more, the intl charges or a speeding ticket. But I'm a nerd.

To totally hijack this thread, I've done a few casual searches for apps that replace Siri's default voice to no avail. I cannot believe Apple or someone else isn't cashing in on this. My husband wants a Yoda voice (which after an hour on a road trip would result in murder one for me) but having other options would be fun. I now refer to as Miss Bossypants. She gets so mad when I stop for gas!
Old 23 July 2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
It was a pretty different car company compared to its parents, that's for sure. But the quality wasn't so much different (at least to me). Oil consumption in the 2 quart/3,000 miles was common and sometimes reported as normal by the dealers. Here's a webpage with a number of recalls: http://www.autosafety.org/saturn-all-models

Their marketing was really good in getting the customer a "feel good feeling" and making the customer feel special.

OY
I had one recall.
It wasn't the marketing - it was the way they treated you. They would pick up my car from school when I worked close by, service it, and drop it back off.
The fact that I thought it ok to ask them to do this is telling.
When they shifted me to GM I was blown away by the difference in service. A whole different ethos. I hated it.
Old 05 August 2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niner View Post
Like the Saturn Outlook, which was virtually identical to the Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, and Buick Envoy
Yeah, I should have said in the beginning they were allowed to do their own thing, and their original models were very different from other GM cars. After they introduced the Ion they started to become just another GM brand making cars that were just like other GM cars. I was disappointed when that happened -- I like the one I have now and would have considered another one when the time cones to replace it if they were still around and made cars that were similar to their first models, but I didn't really like the Ion or the other models that came after it.
Old 05 August 2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Yeah, I should have said in the beginning they were allowed to do their own thing, and their original models were very different from other GM cars.
I always felt that GM missed a huge opportunity to sell their European models here via the Saturn brand. Vauxhall has no recognition here, and Opel was such a small name here that by the 90's nobody remembered them except as that weird small car they sold at Buick dealers. They eventually did it with the L-series in 2000, but by then Saturn's reputation was pretty much set at "cheap appliance cars" instead of "quality cars". Nobody took Saturn seriously when they finally had quality cars like the Astra, Aura, and Sky.
Old 05 August 2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
I had one recall.
It wasn't the marketing - it was the way they treated you. They would pick up my car from school when I worked close by, service it, and drop it back off.
The fact that I thought it ok to ask them to do this is telling.
When they shifted me to GM I was blown away by the difference in service. A whole different ethos. I hated it.
I had the reverse happen to me. When I first went to test drive a '92 SL2 manual, the salesman pretty much forced me to test drive a 92 SL1 automatic. A much different car. I was pretty annoyed at it. I ended up going back, talking to a different salesman, who let me test drive a SL2 manual, and he made the sale. However, I was pretty livid that salesman #2 had to share the commission with salesman #1.

Alas, that's a long time ago.

OY
Old 06 August 2014, 04:25 AM

Well, this factor and several others resulted in the following....as of Sunday, I got a new 2014 Hyundai Sonata. The major factor is that I'm not paying for it, it was bought for me as a gift. I hadn't initially planned to accept, but several things came into play, my friend's experience being one of them.

I like the new car. It's nice. I thought I'd miss the Saturn, but I'm finding that oddly enough, I don't. It was a pretty good car through most of my time with it, but I'm enjoying the new one too much to miss it.

Magdalene
Old 06 August 2014, 05:40 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
I always felt that GM missed a huge opportunity to sell their European models here via the Saturn brand. Vauxhall has no recognition here, and Opel was such a small name here that by the 90's nobody remembered them except as that weird small car they sold at Buick dealers.
Ever wonder why some European-built cars aren't sold in North America - especially the lower end vehicles? It all comes down to cost and competition. Generally speaking, cars for the European market will have smaller engines, or diesel engines - the latter make sense only when diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline, as it is in much of the world, but not in the US or Canada. (Sure there are VW diesel aficionados, but the price premium on the diesel engine and its maintenance make it only worthwhile if commuting long distances each day.) Those cars won't sell well compared to a comparably sized car built in North America, Japan, or more recently, Korea. Lack of power and higher cost of production, stricter emission standards (limiting the engine choices), and the poor reputation of lesser-known European brands just make it impossible.

It was worse when Saturn was just starting out - consider a car like the Citroen XM - sold from 1990 to 2000, and even winning European Car of the Year. Even with a full dealer network, the car would have cost 20% more than its competition, while at the same time saddled with underpowered engines and poor performance. You can't market it as "upscale" if it isn't, and it just wasn't going to work very well compared to what was offered. A lot of this is based on the exchange rate - the cost of production is higher in Europe - and only becomes cost-effective for premium models and their premium price. Porsche has no trouble selling as many cars as it wants to sell in the US - even consciously making a decision to sell fewer cars, at higher prices, to keep the brand more "exclusive", but they outperform their competitors in the same price range.