snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Old 12 February 2011, 08:52 PM

Default 100s of recorded cases of accidental electrocutions because of hairdryers

I was trying to figure out how to turn a blow-dryer(for hair) into a hand-held fan* when I came across this...
Quote:
In the late 1970s, manufacturers began to focus on improving the safety of dryers. Early hairdryers were dangerous because if they accidentally came in contact with water they would short circuit and cause an electrical shock. There are hundreds of recorded cases of accidental electrocutions because a hairdryer was dropped into a bathtub or sink full of water while it was being used. In the late 1970s the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) recommended guidelines for hair dryer manufacturers to follow that would create safer products.
http://www.answers.com/topic/hairdryer

This seems awfully high even with the amount of dolts I know!

*No luck with this either, so if anyone has a clue it would be great if you could share it.
Old 12 February 2011, 09:02 PM

Just open up the case and cut and remove the heating element.

Last edited by jimmy101_again; 12 February 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12 February 2011, 09:15 PM

Won't that leave live wires?
Old 12 February 2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
Won't that leave live wires?
Yes. But the dryer already has "live wires", in fact, it has at least two sets of "live wires". Even when the device is switched off it still has "live wires" in it.

Cut the heater and remove it. Reassemble the case. The resulting device has the same hazards as the original device. And, those hazards are exactly the same as a purpose built hand held fan that never had the heating element in it to start with. The hand-held fan is still a 120V (or 240V) device connected to a power source that is at least 15 amps. More than enough oomph to kill a person.

For increased safety, just plug it into a ground fault (GFI) outlet. (IIRC, in the US all new bathroom, garage and outdoor outlets have been GFI protected for the last 30 years or so.)
Old 12 February 2011, 09:55 PM

My hair dryer, and my mother's, both have a button that shuts off the heat. I think that's fairly common on newer models.
Old 12 February 2011, 09:56 PM

Ok, that makes sense. I really do not know much about finished electronics and was thinking along the lines that I would need to somehow cover the ends. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
Old 12 February 2011, 10:05 PM

Mine does too Cervus. Micah found a hair-dryer in the attic and decided that he is going to make a fan to blow his parachuting bombs over the wall into his lego city(hope that makes sense, he is a strange kid). I told him to just use a fan but he feels he needs a more directed air flow, so I want to be able to supervise this.

I swear this kid tries to thwart any and all attempts by me to ensure he survives to adulthood.

Luckily I happened to glance over as he was passing by juggling the hair-dryer, several screwdrivers, a steak knife, and several kinds of tape.
Old 12 February 2011, 10:14 PM

Don't most hair dryers allow you to turn the heat on or off?

Don't handheld fans cost like $1?
Old 12 February 2011, 10:22 PM

I thought so but it doesn't appear to have one and I love mine and do not trust him to give it back in one piece.

He has several small fans off varying sizes and shapes(even one that shoots water with the air) but he insists they will not work. He wants very strong but directed air. I told him to use the thing that blows up his camping bed and he appears satisfied so far.
Old 12 February 2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
For increased safety, just plug it into a ground fault (GFI) outlet. (IIRC, in the US all new bathroom, garage and outdoor outlets have been GFI protected for the last 30 years or so.)
The last few hairdryers I bought also had their own GFI switches.