snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 27 December 2018, 06:56 PM

Default What campaign contributions tell us about the partisanship of government employees

Those following the news have probably heard about Trump's tweet this morning claiming most of the federal employees who are not getting paid during the government shutdown are Democrats. Whether this should matter and why might be worth discussing (or not), but as this is the ULMB, we might be more interested in whether or not the claim is true.

The Washington Post took a look, and while they admit their methodology is far from definitive, it does look as though they probably do lean that way:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...rats-accurate/
Old 27 December 2018, 07:31 PM

And he's been sitting all alone (poor him) in the White House all week waiting for them to talk to him.

~Psihala
Old 28 December 2018, 07:45 PM

And this shutdown is starting to appear to be a lengthy one. Not clear to me if enough Senators and Representatives are in town to make a decision.

Ali
Old 28 December 2018, 09:25 PM

The shutdown is intractable because Trumpís wall is ridiculous and Republicans know it

Quote:
Back at the beginning of the year, when it seemed as though a compromise involving wall money and a path to citizenship for DREAMers was in the works, it was immigration hardliners in Trumpís own administration who scuttled the deal. Thatís certainly their prerogative, but it underscores the core truth of this standoff: Immigration hardliners themselves donít think the wall is especially useful or important in the real world. If they really wanted a wall, they would go get a wall by offering something ó it wouldnít even necessarily have to be immigration-related ó in exchange for it. But since they know the wall is a bad idea, they wonít trade it for anything.
Old 31 December 2018, 02:09 AM

Mouse

Ugh...Since this is the third NFBSKing shutdown in just 2018 alone, is there a way the federal employees can just ignore it or work around it? Clearly these things are going to become a regular thing with the Trump administration, so the workers are going to have to figure a way around this because thereís work that needs to be done, and you canít let a president who is basically the Cheeto-skinned embodiment of all the seven deadly sins, cause needless suffering and upheaval every time he throws a tantrum over it.

Of course, at the rate things are going, I more than understand if they just decide to go with the torches and pitchforks approach. If you constantly spread misery and suffering, make impossible for the ordinary folk to live their lives in peace, donít be too shocked if the ordinary people might decide to pursue extreme measures.

Before anyone brings up te Obama shutdown, some facts to point out: 1) he only had one shutdown during his eight year presidency, whereas Trump has had three in this year alone, and 2) Obama was dealing with a bitterly divided government, whereas Trumpís Party currently controls all three branches.

Until Trump, there had never been a government shutdown under a one-party government. There have been 9 total government shutdowns and Trump is currently responsible for a third of them.

THIS. IS. NOT. NORMAL!
Old 31 December 2018, 03:46 AM

There cannot be, and should not be, any kind of work - around. Money is either appropriated for the government to operate, or it isn't. And Congressional Republicans are ultimately to blame. Sure Trump is being an idiot, but they are letting him. Congress can pass an appropriations bill and override a veto any time they want. They still choose to back their chosen bozo. I don't want bad things to happen to people because of these idiots, but I think it would be much much worse if they were insulated from the consequences of their idiotic actions.
Old 07 January 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
The Washington Post took a look, and while they admit their methodology is far from definitive, it does look as though they probably do lean that way [Democratic]:
Not surprisingly, the country is more Democratic than Republican. Counting all states where voter registration includes party affiliation, Democrats lead Republicans by almost 12 million voters (44.2 million to 32.6 million). In the latest Gallup poll people identify as Democrat 32% vs 26% Republican.
Old 08 January 2019, 01:57 AM

Genyus, maybe that is why Trump has no problem with screwing over the country. It has a lot of Democrats in it.
Old 08 January 2019, 02:25 AM

That would pretty well sum up about how far he thinks things through.

~Psihala
(*"Look st me! I'm sticking it to the Democrats! What? I'm screwing over Republicans, too? But there are more Democrats. #MAGA!"
Old 08 January 2019, 03:23 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Insulating him and Republicans who are not willing to go against him, would be for those workers to just keep working so as not to disrupt air travel or put people at risk. But it is the shutdown that puts people at risk, not individual workers who can't pay rent with IOUs. For non-essential workers, there aren't even IOUs. Any work they do is charity to the administration.
Thank you for explaining everything. I now better understand it a bit better and am totally onboard with all government employees going on strike. Ideally the communities would take care of their workers, feeding and housing them, but I donít know how likely that would be. Society and culture have so pounded into us the idea of individuality, even though the basic point of a society is to take care of each other. Given that we have an estimated ten empty homes for each homeless person and much of our food winds up rotting in dumpsters, itís obscene that homelessness and hunger are even problems at all.

In the event workers are kicked out of their homes, maybe we needs to happen next is a Bonus Army or Occupy Wall Street sort of action. Though Iím still not opposed to torches and pitchforks. If the powers that be are making it impossible for you to live your life, do what you can to make it impossible for them. Just donít be surprised when cops in military gear or the military show up. Thatís what happens anytime someone calls out traditional systems of power and control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
That would pretty well sum up about how far he thinks things through.

~Psihala
(*"Look st me! I'm sticking it to the Democrats! What? I'm screwing over Republicans, too? But there are more Democrats. #MAGA!"
I think itís a reflection of just how Trump thinks. To be fair, much of the GOP also shares this mindset, but Trump probably has no problem with burning it all down, just so the other side canít ďwin.Ē Trump is totally all, ďIf I canít get what I want, than no one gets to have anything! If I canít be happy, then no one gets to be happy!Ē

Lately, Iíve been fairly certain thatís how Trumpís presidency will end. When it becomes apparent to him that he wonít be allowed to do whatever he wants, seeing as we still have a vestige of a democracy, or if he loses his reelection bid, or Mueller finds enough material to get him run out on a rail, Trump is likely to take whatever money he can, then heíll metaphorically burn everything down, then leave the country and start over somewhere else. Itís pretty much what heís spent his entire life doing and now he has the potential to do it on a national level. He has always been able to buy his way out of trouble and really has no reason to think anything will be different.
Old 08 January 2019, 04:41 AM

And he doesn't get the potential issue of trashing the American system that keeps his American wealth valuable.