snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 30 July 2013, 06:23 PM

Bang Head How do I access images stored as .sbs files?

I've got an old version (2002 edition) of Microsoft Picture It! Publishing Platinum - it had a crappy user interface and was glitchy (frequent crashes) under Windows XP, and won't work at all under later Windows releases. However, it had some really terrific artwork included on the 5 CDs. About a hundred or so were in the .wmf format on the first disc, which I was able to successfully convert. However, the remaining four discs (as well as a folder on the first disc) only have "Shoebox" folders with the artwork all in ".sbs" files. (They show up on a Mac as Unix executable files, and on Windows, even Microsoft's online file recognition tool doesn't know what to do with them.) Is there any way for me to get at these images?
Old 30 July 2013, 06:43 PM

Not sure if this will help but you might be able to access the files via Word (or PowerPoint or excel). Try to "insert clip art" or "insert picture" in Word and see if they will let you browse to and access the sbs files.

My best guess is that the .sbs file is a MS proprietary image format file (or image archive) that they used to keep their art from being used in other company's graphics programs.

A Google searched turned up very little except that the "sbs" extension is associated with Spybot (an antivirus program) as well as the old MS Picture It program.
Old 30 July 2013, 07:36 PM

Try Irfanview. It's a freebie, and is able to see all types of files. Worth a shot.
Old 30 July 2013, 07:39 PM

I checked and .sbs. isn't listed for IrfanView, but it might be worth a shot anyway.
Old 30 July 2013, 07:43 PM

It also isn't listed at Zamzar.com (a free online file conversion service).

Edit: A long shot but trying changing the file extension to ".cab", ".z",".zip", and other file types for archives and see if any of the file archiving programs will open it then.
Old 31 July 2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks, all - I'll try some of these. (Word didn't recognize it as a valid extension, either. Flippin' Microsoft. ) The "change the extension" trick had occurred to me, too, but I haven't had the chance to try it just yet.