snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 16 June 2010, 07:50 PM

Default Elf ears

Comment: Here is forward of an email I received today, is this for real??

New teen trend: Elf ears.

What next?

Old 16 June 2010, 08:00 PM

http://www.instructables.com/id/Body-Mod-Elf-Ears/

Looks real to me. If they can undo it, why couldn't a surgeon create it? People get fangs, horns, ridges, etc., why not elf ears?

EDITED TO ADD:

Yes, it's real, her name is Kimberleigh Roseblade

The guy that did it, Russ Foxx.

Not my taste mind you, but whatever floats your boat as long as you're over 18 & can afford it.
Old 16 June 2010, 08:16 PM

Thats really disgusting. I just wonder can they put it back if they dont like it later,
Old 16 June 2010, 08:44 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy_pooh_1997 View Post
Thats really disgusting. I just wonder can they put it back if they dont like it later,
Disgusting? Howcum? I see it as ever so cute! The "elfin" meme is a rich one in our culture. Not just Spock, but, say, Peter Pan, Oberon and Titania, etc.

They probably could reverse it...but you've got to be careful with too many modifications of modifications, or you end up with Michael Jackson's nose.

Silas
Old 16 June 2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy_pooh_1997 View Post
It's not really my cup of tea either, but I don't see 'disgusting'. Why such a strong reaction?
Old 16 June 2010, 08:59 PM

Disgusting? Not really.

Not as disgusting as a nose piercing or one of those bottom lip piercings. Now, that's gross.

Guess it's diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. If you think it's disgusting, don't get it done.
Old 16 June 2010, 09:06 PM

How is it more "disgusting" than flesh plugs in the lobes or lips, or multiple piercings (and I mean scores, not just 4 or 5), full body tattoos or scarificaton? As long as it's one's own body and one knows the risks, it's up to one to use it as one's canvas.
Old 16 June 2010, 09:09 PM

I think it's cute too, I've always liked the look of elf ears, but I'd never go to such lengths to have those ears myself, but I would think it cool if I ever met someone in person who did it.
Old 16 June 2010, 09:15 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllavus View Post
I think it's cute too, I've always liked the look of elf ears, but I'd never go to such lengths to have those ears myself, but I would think it cool if I ever met someone in person who did it.
This sums it up perfectly for me. I've always kinda wished I had been born with elf ears, and if I woke up tomorrow and had them I'd be pretty happy. I'm just not willing to go to surgical lengths to get them.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:01 PM

I can see how the one picture with stitches could be extremely off-putting. This more extreme form of body modification can produce some intense emotional reactions in people, which in some cases may be point. (Not so much with elf ears, maybe.)
Not my cup of tea at all. While I don't find the pictures disgusting, I could see how someone could.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
It's not really my cup of tea either, but I don't see 'disgusting'. Why such a strong reaction?
Well, I don't find the ears themselves "disgusting" either, but it's interesting that a fairly strong beauty ideal seems to exist for a physical feature that's never been human.

"Elfin" has long been a compliment or ideal of sorts, but I don't know how long the idea of an "elf" has had pointy ears. Not long, I suspect, in social terms. So now, some people who would like to be "elfin" think that pointy ears helps them to live up to this ideal, and be cute.

Even if the actual ears aren't disgusting, there are some interesting implications, some of which are arguably more disturbing than the ears themselves...
Old 16 June 2010, 10:42 PM

My niece was born with ears nearly that pointy. DD and I refrained from mentioning them until we heard her parents comment on them.
Old 16 June 2010, 11:26 PM

Icon05

This is probably a really stupid question, but I've always wondered, would having elf ears be detrimental or beneficial to one's hearing in any way, or would it be just purely cosmetic and have no affect at all?

I suppose using headphones might be a bit of a problem, but besides from that...
Old 16 June 2010, 11:32 PM

I think pointy ears look better than round ears, but my reaction to this is the same as my reaction to most "artistic" body modification: you like the way something looks so you... carve it into your flesh? Not the reaction I think is appropriate.
Old 16 June 2010, 11:42 PM

Hmmm... kinda odd, kinda cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
How is it more "disgusting" than flesh plugs in the lobes or lips, or multiple piercings (and I mean scores, not just 4 or 5), full body tattoos or scarificaton? As long as it's one's own body and one knows the risks, it's up to one to use it as one's canvas.
I didn't see anyone say it was more disgusting that anything in particular- did I miss something? She finds it disgusting- it's subjective, big deal.
Old 16 June 2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFurg View Post
Hmmm... kinda odd, kinda cute.

I didn't see anyone say it was more disgusting that anything in particular- did I miss something? She finds it disgusting- it's subjective, big deal.
No, you're right. Her reaction seemed kind of vitriolic to me, but she can react any way she likes.

I didn't mean to sound as though I was finding fault with the 'disgusting' comment. I was just curious about why some people's reaction is 'cool!', mine is 'meh', and hers and presumably others might be 'disgusting'.
Old 17 June 2010, 12:36 AM

I think body modification is a fascinating form of self-expression. William Gibson has some interesting takes on it in his stories.

I have kind of pointy ears. When I was a kid my grandma made fun of them once, and I was extremely self-conscious of them for decades afterwards. If only I had realized how cute they are!
Old 17 June 2010, 12:44 AM

Aw, cool. I always wanted elf ears. I'm not prepared to go to those lengths at all though. Especially since I have to hold down a job in corporate America.
Old 17 June 2010, 01:04 AM

She's cute, and the ears suit her. Not something I would do, although I have some tattoos.

There are some bodymods that creep me out. Implants, namely. *gulp* Metal things...bumpy things...
Old 17 June 2010, 01:45 AM

I think it's cute. I actually have points on my ears (although more subtle than the OP). When I was younger, I kept pinching the tops of my ears because I wanted them to be pointy, and after a while they actually stayed that way! Luckily I still like it. Heck, I'd love to have big ol' elf ears like Link from Legend of Zelda.