snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 03 September 2018, 03:32 PM

Default 'Nothing but vermin': 'Disgusting' letter left throughout neighbourhood

Really not on...

Quote:
A vile letter has been found distributed throughout a neighbourhood, threatening a vigilante killing spree of some of the community’s most vulnerable, sparking a police investigation.

A resident found about 100 copies of the lengthy note signed off by someone who called themselves Night Lion, calling to eradicate the groups referred to as “nothing but vermin”.

“The city of Davenport has been infested with the diseased. The homeless, the addicts, the gang members and the like need to disappear permanently from our world,” reads the letter found in the Hilltop neighbourhood in Iowa, US.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/disgusting...071341365.html

I hope they catch the person(s) who wrote and distributed these letters quickly. I think the only thing worse than finding out the author was deadly serious would be to find out the whole thing is a prank.
Old 04 September 2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Really not on...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/disgusting...071341365.html

I hope they catch the person(s) who wrote and distributed these letters quickly. I think the only thing worse than finding out the author was deadly serious would be to find out the whole thing is a prank.
'Prank' would be too minor a word for it even if it does turn out to be a false threat.

Whether the danger is real or not, the letter can only be intended to terrorise and that by itself causes harm.

Due to the pompousness of the name Night Lion and the text in general, my bet is that the author is some emotionally-stunted nitwit who fancies himself a vigilante and thinks homelessness is a crime.

That doesn't mean, however, that this behaviour shouldn't be taken seriously. Like I said, the threat itself can be harmful and it could also indicate a propensity towards violence even if this particular violent fantasy remains mercifully unfulfilled.