snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 21 August 2018, 02:23 PM

Icon06 Mollie Tibbetts, missing Iowa student, found dead, sources say

Mollie Tibbetts, missing Iowa student, found dead, sources say
Quote:
The body of missing college student Mollie Tibbetts was found Tuesday, two sources told Fox News, bringing an end to an intensive search that lasted more than a month and captured national headlines.

A law enforcement source told Fox News the body was found in Iowa, but more specific details about the location were not released. Greg Willey, the vice president of Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa, also told the Associated Press the body found Tuesday is believed to be Tibbetts.
Old 21 August 2018, 10:35 PM

Oh, crap.

Undocumented immigrant faces murder charge in Mollie Tibbitts case

Quote:
An undocumented immigrant has been charged with first-degree murder in the presumed death of Mollie Tibbetts, an Iowa college student who went missing on July 18, officials said Tuesday.
Not that it outweighs the tragedy to Ms. Tibbets and her family, but I could certainly have done without a high-profile murder case with an undocumented immigrant suspect.
Old 21 August 2018, 11:12 PM

From a conservative web site:

The MSM is already scrambling to cover it up.

That is, covering up that the suspect is an illegal alien.
Old 21 August 2018, 11:17 PM

I mean, look, CNN called him "undocumented" instead of "illegal"! FAKE NEWS!
Old 22 August 2018, 12:45 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I mean, look, CNN called him "undocumented" instead of "illegal"! FAKE NEWS!
If he's found guilty of a crime, can we then call him "illegal" on those grounds?
Old 22 August 2018, 01:17 PM

Jaded GOP seizing Mollie Tibbetts murder as political issue

The disappearance of a well-liked college student from America's heartland had touched many people since she vanished one month ago while out for a run. But the stunning news that a Mexican man living in the U.S. illegally has allegedly confessed to kidnapping and murdering her thrust the case into the middle of the contentious immigration debate and midterm elections.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-sei...litical-issue/
Old 22 August 2018, 02:00 PM

I wonder how many other people got murdered in the USA during the past month. (Statistics apparently not yet available; at any rate, I can't find them.)

I wonder how many of the victims were undocumented immigrants. Of course, some such cases may not only be unreported in the national news, but unreported by anybody at all, as reporting such a person as missing will currently not only risk their deportation if found alive but also very likely risk the deportation of friends and/or family members.

I am, however, going to take a wild, or not-so-wild, guess that a) a number of other people got murdered and/or kidnapped in the USA this summer but aren't in the national news and b) most of them got murdered and/or kidnapped by USA citizens.
Old 22 August 2018, 02:36 PM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I most of them got murdered and/or kidnapped by USA citizens.
Here's an article from Reason from this past February.
Old 24 August 2018, 08:42 PM

Default Some of Mollie Tibbetts' family don't want her death politicized

A body believed to be Tibbetts' was found in Iowa on Tuesday, a month after she went missing during an evening jog. The man arrested in her death is an undocumented immigrant from Mexico.

President Donald Trump and other Republican politicians have highlighted the case to argue for stricter enforcement of immigration laws. But some of Tibbetts' family members, including her aunt, Billie Jo Calderwood, say they don't want her death to be used for political leverage.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/us/mo...ath/index.html
Old 24 August 2018, 09:04 PM

Interesting that it's always too soon to talk about remedies to tragedies in the days and weeks following the event, and how much criticism is leveled at those who'd dare use said tragedy for political purposes, and how quickly that all goes down the nearest toilet when it just happens to align with one's own self interests.

~Psihala
(*Who cares about your pet peeves...")
Old 26 August 2018, 06:52 PM

In the wake of Mollie Tibbetts’ death, don’t blame immigrants for murder. Blame men
Old 26 August 2018, 08:43 PM

When have you ever seen it reported that the perpetrator of a crime in the US was a US citizen? It goes unremarked because it has no relevance, and because it is by far the overwhelming and disproportionate norm.
Old 27 August 2018, 03:25 PM

No

I generally agree with the content of this editorial, but I find the title about as offensive as pinning the crime on illegal immigration. It's not "blame men", it's "blame society's acceptance of toxic masculinity".
Old 27 August 2018, 03:40 PM

The offensiveness is deliberate and part of the point. Lumping a bunch of people in with this murderer based on a shared demographic category actually makes more sense with "male" than it does with "Hispanic immigrant" because there is actually a correlation between male and murderer where there isn't one with Hispanic immigrant.
Old 27 August 2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The offensiveness is deliberate and part of the point.
Probably, but that point is not immediately discernible, and it may alienate some people (like me) who might otherwise find value in the piece.
Old 27 August 2018, 06:07 PM

And it might wake up some other people, who otherwise wouldn't have paid attention.

No form of drawing attention to a problem is going to make everybody happy; and no form of drawing attention to a problem is going to work on everybody. Why should every such article be aimed to work specifically for ChasFink?
Old 27 August 2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
And it might wake up some other people, who otherwise wouldn't have paid attention.

No form of drawing attention to a problem is going to make everybody happy; and no form of drawing attention to a problem is going to work on everybody. Why should every such article be aimed to work specifically for ChasFink?
My point is not that it doesn't work for me. As I said, I read the article and essentially agree with it. My point is that the "blame men" in the title is going to make some people look at the link and say "this person has an anti-male agenda and I'm not interested in her opinion." In other words it will turn away the very people who otherwise might read the article and be enlightened.
Old 27 August 2018, 07:37 PM

It will turn away some such people, yes. It may well draw in other people.

The point I was trying to make was less that not every article needs to be aimed at you personally, but that not every article needs to be, and probably not every article should be, aimed at people who have the reaction you describe. I realize that I may not have phrased my post well to make that clear.

People's attitudes aren't monolithic; and there may well be people susceptible to anti-immigrant rhetoric, but convinceable otherwise, who aren't put off by language bluntly making the comparison to blaming men.
Old 27 August 2018, 09:40 PM

Baseball

Quote:
It will turn away some such people, yes. It may well draw in other people.
I suspect that it will turn away the people it should be drawing in, and the people it draws in would be drawn in regardless. (in the past, see "Deplorables" for another example.)

It is a weak title if it is intended to convince anyone.

It is an excellent title if it is intended to rile up a supporting base.

I don't know what the author's intent was, so I won't decide for myself.
Old 27 August 2018, 10:01 PM

Icon108

The author's intent may be irrelevant. Salon.com's intent, however, was almost certainly to generate clicks and therefore ad revenue. In which case, riling up the base while encouraging those who should be reading the article to open it just long enough to share on Facebook along with their comments about how feminists hate men and this is proof are just was the editor ordered.