snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 11 August 2018, 06:08 AM

Airplane SeaTac stolen plane: Airline employee allegedly steals plane, takes off, then crashes

An airline employee who worked on the ground stole a plane at Seattle-Tacoma Airport (SeaTac), took off and then later crashed, SeaTac airportsaid. It's believed the employee was the only one on board, CBS News transportation correspondent Kris Van Cleave reports.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seatac-...ay-2018-08-10/
Old 11 August 2018, 06:09 PM

When I saw the headline on my phone just before I went to bed last night I assumed he must have crashed shortly after takeoff. I guess we don't yet know how much previous flying experience this guy had, if any, but I was a little surprised to hear this morning that he flew around for over an hour before crashing. As a mechanic he presumably knew enough to know how to start the plane, and maybe taxi it (IIRC some mechanics are allowed to taxi the planes, but it requires some additional certification).
Old 11 August 2018, 08:40 PM

Airplane

Listening to an excerpt from his conversations with ground controllers, he claimed to only have experience with flight simulators. Not that that rules out experience with taxiing or maintenance operations as a means to at least get going. Or lying.
Old 11 August 2018, 09:08 PM

No Worker who stole plane told air traffic controllers: 'I don't want to hurt no one."

An airline worker who stole an otherwise empty passenger plane from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport talked to air traffic controllers as he flew, saying at one point he only wanted to do a couple of "maneuvers" and at another that he was "just a broken guy."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/stolen-pla...ry?id=57141064
Old 14 August 2018, 02:37 AM

Default ĎTry To Do A Barrel Rollí: Colorado Manís Friend Crashed Stolen Plane

Days after learning his friend and former coworker died in a hijacked plane crash, Robert Reeves opened up about the story which took the nationís attention to the skies.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/08/...n-plane-crash/