snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 09 March 2014, 01:52 AM

Glasses 300: Five historical errors in the new film

300- the cartoonish film retelling of the Spartans' defence of Thermopylae against a Persian horde - now has a sequel, 300: Rise of an Empire. How much of it plays fast and loose with the history, asks Paul Cartledge, professor of Greek culture at Cambridge University.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-26484784
Old 09 March 2014, 03:04 AM

It's okay. I'm sure somebody will counter the criticisms using the "INAD"* defense, eventually.

*"It's Not A Documentary."

~Psihala
Old 09 March 2014, 03:20 AM

I admit, I have absolutely no idea why Frank Miller's comic books are so popular.
Old 09 March 2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I admit, I have absolutely no idea why Frank Miller's comic books are so popular.
At the moment, they're not. Miller's only finished ONE comic project in the last 5 years: A graphic novel published in 2011 called "Holy Terror." The project originally was supposed to be "Batman captures and kills Osama bin Laden" but, after DC got the first pages, they were a bit appalled and refused to let the work proceed. The fact that Miller hadn't finished his script for "All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder" had a bit to do with it as well. (Artist Jim Lee has said that the delay has been all his doing but not even Lee is so slow as to take SIX YEARS to "wrap up" the last 2 issues of the series' "first half"--especially as he's turned in a half-dozen issues of a Scott Snyder-written Superman book. But I digress......) "All-Star Batman etc" still has 2 solicited issues unpublished after 6 years (and both of those were resolicited about a year after their original solicits).

Leaving aside "All-Star Batman etc," Miller's largely coasting by on his reputation. The new "300" movie was supposed to be preceded by a comic book series (which was discussed with a couple of panels of artwork some 2 1/2 years ago in an issue of the "Dark Horse Presents" series) but it never came to pass, apparently going "straight-to-cinema." The upcoming "Sin City" film sequel is also basically from Miller's "glory days." (There are apparently two plotlines in the new film that are original to the movie--the main part is based off the "A Dame to Kill For" volume and a previously published short story.)

Now, Miller's early work on "Daredevil" (which introduced Elektra) was nothing short of a masterpiece. And his 1980s Batman works ("The Dark Knight Returns" and the Year One story from issues 404-407 of the regular "Batman" series) were also classics. "Ronin" was a little bit of a mixed bag (the artwork is top-notch but the story is a bit iffy, though overall, it's a case of YMMV). And both the "Sin City" series franchise and "300" really were excellent works (though, admittedly, they could be a bit over-the-top at times). Miller also worked on a number of works, only as a writer, that were surprisingly great: "Hard Boiled" with Geoff Darrow (incredibly violent, almost to the point of farcical); the "Martha Washington" series with Dave Gibbons; and "Robocop vs Terminator" with Walt Simonson.

But really, since Miller released "DK2" (aka "The Dark Knight Strikes Again"), his work has been pretty laughable--and not in the good way. It's akin to a car wreck: You really hate yourself for looking but you just find it almost impossible not to look.
Old 09 March 2014, 08:28 AM

I always heard that All-Star Batman and Robin read more like Superdickery than DC canon.

Also that Sin City and 300 were really author fetish material.