snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 12 August 2017, 12:02 PM

Whalephant

Here in Tucson we have Ft. Lowell Road, which does a weird jig. A few years ago they decided to fix this-sort of. From the cross street of Swan Road to.where the jig ends they paved it and named that stretch Camp Lowell Road-it's about a 1/2 or 3/4 of a mile long. So going west on Ft Lowell you cross Swan, then go about a,block, then turn right at the stop sign, go for about half a block to the stop sign and turn left on Ft Lowell. If you turn right at that stop sign, you're on Camp Lowell.

On the southeast corner of Ft Lowell and Swan there used to be a restaurant. I was at the gas station on the Northwest corner of Camp Lowell and Swan once and a poor guy approached me in despair; he'd driven up and down Ft Lowell but could not find the restaurant. What he needed to do was exit the gas station right (southbound) onto Swan, go south to the next stoplight and turn left onto Ft Lowell then turn right into the parking lot.. His expression when I explained was priceless.
Old 12 August 2017, 06:41 PM

Outside of my town, there are two Black Brook Roads, going in opposite directions, followed by Middle Black Brook Road, which isn't even in the middle.
Old 12 August 2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Let's have a meet up in Atlanta. There's a neat bar I know on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree.
Back in the day, I wrote occasional short scripts for "A Prairie Home Companion." On one occasion when Garrison Keillor and crew were coming to play the Fox Theatre (on Peachtree), I submitted a Guy Noir bit in which the gumshoe from Minnesota is hired to shadow a man on a "business trip" to Atlanta because his wife suspects the man is off to meet the Other Woman.

Guy picks him up and follows him all over heck and gone, then impatiently heads off his car and asks where he's going. "I dunno," the guy admits. "My girl told me the name of the hotel, but I'm not sure I got it right, and she's not answering her phone. I do remember it's on Peachtree."

Noir then reels off (IIRC) eighteen Peachtrees, and the guy decides just to go home to his wife. At the end, the private eye muses, "Adultery is rare in Atlanta. By the time you find the assignation spot, you're no longer in the mood."
Old 12 August 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Was there ever a set of railroad tracks passing down the middle?
No, just deep woods and a swamp and some unbelievably creepy old houses that the woods had taken over. Then there is a highway and on the other side of that (still) one of the wealthiest black towns in the country. The tracks were on the opposite side of where we lived. On the other side of the tracks and down further were the mixed neighborhoods (including the one we had lived in before that that I didn't want to leave).
Old 12 August 2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Let's have a meet up in Atlanta. There's a neat bar I know on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree.
I tried to find that place once, but I went too far and ended up on Peachtree.
Old 12 August 2017, 11:45 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Outside of my town, there are two Black Brook Roads, going in opposite directions, followed by Middle Black Brook Road, which isn't even in the middle.
Haha. That happened in Winnipeg too. In the early 1970s, what we now know as Winnipeg was actually a much smaller Winnipeg and several other small cities nestled in all along two rivers in southern Manitoba. However, about 1972, they amalgamated**. All of these cities had common street names (Elm Street, Main Street etc). So, for a while, one had to be careful of what part of the city you were heading to to get the right street address.***

This was not the only problem. Those streets that nowadays cross the entire city sometimes have 4 names. One from my route home, remember, this is all the same street... Oak Point, King Edward, Century, Kenaston. They resolved the issue by giving all these multi-named roads route numbers (in my case, it was route 90)

As for the multiple streets with the same name, over the past few decades, I know more than one has been renamed in honour of some famous Manitoban or Winnipegger. So, eventually, it will resolve itself. I can't wait for the day that UEL Parkway is revealed to the world.

**I have a friend who was born in his house in St James Manitoba according to his birth certificate and his sister, born in the same room two years and a day later, was born in Winnipeg Manitoba.

***When I was on my apprenticeship programme in '93, I had to go to a worksite on Wellington St. I went to the wrong one and got totally spun around trying to find an address. It was like 234 Wellington St, and there was a 232 and a 236. It was almost like looking for platform 9 3/4. As this was before the proliferation of cell phones, it took a while for me to sort out.
Old 13 August 2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
They resolved the issue by giving all these multi-named roads route numbers
IME, that doesn't resolve such issues at all. It only adds the route number to the list of multiple names for the same street. Since the route number (just like any of the other names) may or may not be the name given by the person giving directions, and may or may not be the name on any given street sign, and may or may not be the name on any given map, that only increases the confusion.

I used to live near a road that had six names in about 15 miles. One of them was a route number. It didn't help.
Old 13 August 2017, 04:08 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
IME, that doesn't resolve such issues at all. It only adds the route number to the list of multiple names for the same street. Since the route number (just like any of the other names) may or may not be the name given by the person giving directions, and may or may not be the name on any given street sign, and may or may not be the name on any given map, that only increases the confusion.

I used to live near a road that had six names in about 15 miles. One of them was a route number. It didn't help.
Oddly enough, your are right, but it is not an issue. There are only about 20 numbered routes in the city, and the people know when to say the street vs the number. "Follow Route 90 south until 3017 Kenaston Blvd" (Route 90 consists of Kenaston Blvd and the other streets I mentioned earlier). And route signs are just as prevalent as street signs. If you are from the 'Peg, it is not hard to grasp. However, nowadays with a GPS in every smart phone, I suppose it is getting more and more moot.
Old 13 August 2017, 06:06 PM

Purely residential roads don't usually have road numbers here, but any road that goes somewhere probably has one, and it will have different names along that length. For example, the main road that my road turns off* is called London Road where it goes past my road (because in one direction it goes to London - a standard name) but it's also the A40. Further up, the A40 is called West Wycombe Road, and beyond that, Oxford Road. And if you followed it all the way down into London**, it would go through plenty of other names.

In fact, Oxford Street (the famous shopping street) is also the A40, at its far end, although there is a bit of a discontinuity even in the road number, because a flyover called the Westway was built at one point that changed the original course of the road in London, but after it already had its number... The other end is in Oxford, because it used to be the main road between London and Oxford before the M40 was built. Hence the name of Oxford Street in London.

It does all more-or-less make sense in practice.

* (Or rather that the road my development is on turns off, as my development has its own road name.)

** I had to edit this to decide which way was "up" and which way "down". Usually "up" means "towards London", but given that the other end is in Oxford, and going to Oxford for term is referred to as going "up", whereas leaving is going "down" or "being sent down" if you're expelled, as an Oxford graduate I thought I'd better call the Oxford direction "up". This all makes sense as well in practice, even though different people mean different things by it. OK, actually this bit doesn't make much sense.
Old 13 August 2017, 06:26 PM

In the Columbus area, there is a High Street that runs north-south from southern Franklin county into the southern end of Delaware County. US23 runs along part of High Street, but it's generally called High Street in addresses along its length, even when it runs through landlocked suburbs surrounded by Columbus.

There is also a High Street in a suburb called Dublin, which is a few miles west of High Street in Columbus and those other suburbs. High Street in Dublin is only a few miles long; the name changes to Dublin Road as soon as you leave the Dublin city limits.
Old 13 August 2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
** I had to edit this to decide which way was "up" and which way "down". Usually "up" means "towards London", but given that the other end is in Oxford, and going to Oxford for term is referred to as going "up", whereas leaving is going "down" or "being sent down" if you're expelled, as an Oxford graduate I thought I'd better call the Oxford direction "up". This all makes sense as well in practice, even though different people mean different things by it. OK, actually this bit doesn't make much sense.
That's as bad as upstate and downstate New York!

My rule of thumb*:
A) In Westchester County and points south, people are Downstate and proud of it.
B) North of Westchester County, the line between Upstate and Downstate is somewhere around twenty miles south of where the speaker lives; and Downstate is perjorative, though possibly only mildly so.

*[braces for argument]
Old 13 August 2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
In the Columbus area, there is a High Street that runs north-south from southern Franklin county into the southern end of Delaware County. US23 runs along part of High Street, but it's generally called High Street in addresses along its length, even when it runs through landlocked suburbs surrounded by Columbus.

There is also a High Street in a suburb called Dublin, which is a few miles west of High Street in Columbus and those other suburbs. High Street in Dublin is only a few miles long; the name changes to Dublin Road as soon as you leave the Dublin city limits.
In a town not that far from me they decided to extend High Street and add a road on to the end so the extension is called High Street Road.
Old 13 August 2017, 08:45 PM

Police

Quote:

My rule of thumb*:
A) In Westchester County and points south, people are Downstate and proud of it.
B) North of Westchester County, the line between Upstate and Downstate is somewhere around twenty miles south of where the speaker lives; and Downstate is perjorative, though possibly only mildly so.

*[braces for argument]
I thought it was just Upstate New York and New York City?
Old 13 August 2017, 09:35 PM

Oh, no. People in, say, the Adirondacks will refer to pretty much the whole rest of the state as downstate. People in the Finger Lakes will refer to Binghamton as downstate. Et considerably cetera.

To people in New York City, yes, there's that city and then everywhere else. But I grew up in Dutchess County, I live in the Finger Lakes, and if people here ask where I grew up I'll say 'way downstate in Dutchess County.' But if I were in NYCity, Dutchess County would be definitely Upstate.
Old 13 August 2017, 11:13 PM

I grew up on Long Island. Anything north of the Bronx was considered Upstate.
Old 14 August 2017, 12:00 AM

In the town I grew up in, whenever the streets were made longer they were given a different name. So, you'd be driving down Lafayette Road, suddenly be on Middle Street, and then on Maplewood Drive. It tended to confuse tourists. There was also a Congress Street (well, for a few blocks. It had a different name at each end) a Congress Avenue, a Congress Square and a Congress Court. When the 911 system was put in they had to rename three of the Congresses to make it less confusing.
Old 14 August 2017, 12:18 AM

I'm sure I've said it here before, but I can always tell where someone's from how they refer to two local highways that start in the city of Chicago and go almost all the way out to the border with Iowa. People who call IL-38 "Roosevelt Road" are from somewhere close to Chicago, out to about the Fox Valley area. Anyone who calls it "Lincoln Highway" is from someplace like DeKalb, to the west. Similarly, anyone who calls IL-64 "North Avenue" is from Chicago or the surrounding towns, and anyone who calls it just "64" grew up or lives further west. Funnily enough, both roads are called "Main Street" near where I live, as they pass through the downtowns of two towns and were the roads both cities were founded around.

Quote:
Here in the Chicago area, "downstate" is shorthand for the state legislature in Springfield. To some native Chicagoans, anything south of I-80 is considered "downstate".
Old 14 August 2017, 11:46 AM

LTTAM: companies on social media who promote their t-shirt designs by photoshopping them onto photos of celebrities

Not only are their designs not licenced by the BBC but I'm pretty darn sure that David Tennant didn't give permission for his likeness to be used in their ads.

The Whovians at least makes other posts that are about Dr Who in general and aren't all ads for their unlicenced merchandise, a friend just reposted a link on FB from a group which describes itself as "a community of gay, bisexual, lesbian, trans, and questioning people and their friends" but every single one of their posts was an ad for a t-shirt they're selling, mostly using photoshopped images of celebrities.

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 14 August 2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 14 August 2017, 12:47 PM

I seriously doubt they have to get a license for a parody or joke commenting on the original subject matter. As the BBC itself reported:
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29408121
(As for using a celebrity, that's a different matter.)
Old 14 August 2017, 02:57 PM

It's not a parody of a Dalek, it's an actual image of a Dalek.