snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 04 August 2017, 02:23 PM

Even trying to chop fresh peppers in a chopping jar like this one yields mush, IME.
Old 05 August 2017, 02:45 AM

Mouse

Is there a reason there is so many names for Mountain Lions? You can refer to them as Mountain Lions, Cougars, Pumas, Panthers, and Catamounts, and all the names would be correct. How did this cat wind up with so many names? I don't know of any other big cat that racked up so many different names.
Old 05 August 2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Is there a reason there is so many names for Mountain Lions? You can refer to them as Mountain Lions, Cougars, Pumas, Panthers, and Catamounts, and all the names would be correct. How did this cat wind up with so many names? I don't know of any other big cat that racked up so many different names.
They are Just. That. Awesome.
Old 05 August 2017, 10:15 AM

That cat has a lot of names in English. But don't the lion and tiger, for instance, have a lot of names in various places in Africa and Asia? (I don't know for sure; but it seems extremely likely.)
Old 05 August 2017, 11:15 AM

Hello Kitty

My wag is that it's that they've always been relatively uncommon (to encounter) and were rediscovered many times, each time causing a new word to be borrowed (or coined) and used for a while before the realisation that there was already a word or four. Unlike them, tigers and lions have been well known for millennia and have rather striking appearances; their mane and stripes are easy to describe. The cougar, on the other hand, can appear very differently by subspecies and coloration (cf black panther, which is a different cat) and has some striking features of its own but not necessarily the same ones every time.
Old 05 August 2017, 11:49 PM

When discussing Chaz Bono's childhood, is it appropriate to use female pronouns?
Old 06 August 2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
is it appropriate to use female pronouns?
From experience (not with him), no.
Old 06 August 2017, 12:38 PM

From experience with my nephew who was my niece until about 20, yes. He was a girl, now he is not. (It gets confusing, and I think each person might be different, so it is best to just not ever discuss anything at all for fear of giving offense. ) Or you hope you have someone who is pretty cool, like my nephew, and is willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, and is also quite willing to explain when asked.
Old 13 August 2017, 10:00 AM

Is anybody into cryptic crosswords?

Here's a clue from an old Times crossword (the London one not New York), which I have in a collection:

Eye one initially appearing during Debussy piece? (4-5)

I had all the letters, and the answer was clearly "LATE-COMER" but I couldn't see why. I thought there must be a piece of music by Debussy called The Late-comer or something similar. (The answers are in the book so I could have checked that part, but the answers don't explain why they're the answers).

So I Googled "Debussy The Latecomer" to see if this piece of music came up, and instead, everything that came up were crossword solving sites, giving this answer to clues about Debussy. This exact clue came up, with the answer LATE COMER, and so did the clue:

Private eye's over interrupting Debussy piece ___ being this? (9)

(I think that one is from a New York Times crossword, so it follows different conventions from the ones I'm used to).

So now I'm wondering why this is. The "eye" in my clue may be a detective as well, since the other clue has "Private eye". Usually that would be something meaning "eye" or "detective", inside another word, and possibly backwards (if the NYT conventions match the ones I know well enough).

But is there a Debussy piece called The Latecomer to form the overall definition? And if there is, why is it invisible to Google, to the extent that the only connection between the two appears to be in crossword clues? I found a book with an anecdote about Debussy hating to conduct his pieces, which also included a description of people turning up late to a concert, but there was no obvious link between them.

I can't work out the construction of this clue at all, and it's annoying me more than usual!

(eta) Never mind... reading more of the results always helps. The second clue is actually from Phi in The Independent, and further on in the search results I found an actual explanation:

http://www.fifteensquared.net/2012/1...dent-8135-phi/

Quote:
10 Private eye’s over interrupting Debussy piece – being this?
LATECOMER TEC (private eye) + O (over) inside or ‘interrupting’ LA MER (Debussy piece) = if you were a latecomer you would interrupt the concert!
So the Debussy piece is La Mer. The same explanation works for my clue, with "O" being "one initially", and the definition in mine is the whole clue (again, if you "appear during the piece" you're a latecomer...)

I wonder whether Phi wrote the Times crossword as well (The Times doesn't name its setters) or if one of them cribbed from the other? Either way, I'd never have worked that explanation out myself from the clue I was attempting.

Also, the site I quoted above has mangled the second clue to put a "blank space" indicator where there should just be a dash. (It had also messed up the punctuation by having a double quote instead of the apostrophe in "eye's", but I corrected that when quoting it). That misled me as well.

Last edited by Richard W; 13 August 2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 13 August 2017, 12:34 PM

So "tec" is British slang for private detective/private eye?
Old 13 August 2017, 12:46 PM

In crosswords, yes. Pretty much nowhere else, I don't think, and it's not that common in crosswords...

I expect people have used it at times in the past.
Old 13 August 2017, 01:45 PM

I've seen "tec" for "detective/private eye" outside the crossword context. Don't remember where; it's just part of my vocabulary, though not a part I'd ordinarily use. I may have read it in old detective stories.

I'm glad for some sort of explanation as to how such crosswords work. I only do simpler ones, and had glanced at some of the others but had no idea where to start. (Not sure I'm gonna start now, either.)

Last edited by thorny locust; 13 August 2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: remove extraneous word. How did it get in there? -- good grief, two of them.
Old 13 August 2017, 03:10 PM

The NYT standard (non-cryptic) crosswords use "tec" fairly often. It's one of those words I know because I do crosswords (and/or because my mom also did), like ort and ret, and the surname Alou (of MLB fame).

Unfortunately, I can't help Richard, I've never learned to do cryptic crosswords.
Old 13 August 2017, 05:38 PM

I don't need help any more - on the second or third page of results I found a page explaining it! I was just having a mental block when I couldn't work it out even knowing the answer.
Old 13 August 2017, 11:47 PM

Mister Ed

Recently I've encountered several different demonstrations of arts and crafts that use horse hair. Every time it's been a kind of fuzzy, wooly hair I've never seen on a horse, even though I have spent some time around horses. Is there a prehistoric wooly horse I'm not aware of or does this come from a wooly part of the horse I haven't seen or is there another explanation?
Old 14 August 2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Recently I've encountered several different demonstrations of arts and crafts that use horse hair. Every time it's been a kind of fuzzy, wooly hair I've never seen on a horse, even though I have spent some time around horses. Is there a prehistoric wooly horse I'm not aware of or does this come from a wooly part of the horse I haven't seen or is there another explanation?
Maybe winter hair? Our Shetland ponies lived outside and got very, very wooly in the winter. And mangy looking in the spring when they shed. The local birds loved it. Any bird's nest you would find had a lot of pony hair in it.
Old 14 August 2017, 03:46 PM

Icon95

What exactly is the point of a Sleep Number bed? If we all have our own best number (as some of the ads imply) why not just get a regular mattress that matches that number? I can see its purpose in hotels, if you're a strange sort that wants your bed soft today and firm tomorrow, or if you're a VERY accommodating host furnishing your guest room, but for most of us - why?
Old 14 August 2017, 03:55 PM

Two people sharing a bed can set their numbers independently. Most of the ads I see are clearly aimed at couples. I suppose if you have a king bed you could use two mattresses, but one mattress with two settings would be more convenient, I'd think.
Old 14 August 2017, 04:44 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Two people sharing a bed can set their numbers independently. Most of the ads I see are clearly aimed at couples. I suppose if you have a king bed you could use two mattresses, but one mattress with two settings would be more convenient, I'd think.
I do see that. But the original marketing was not so couple-oriented, and ultimately, the same argument applies. One mattress that changes density in the middle can't be much more comfortable than two different mattresses side by side with a single cushioned top and sheet. Why invent a whole new thing with a primary difference that isn't necessary?
Old 14 August 2017, 05:03 PM

I have never found a conventional mattress that I found comfortable. My Select Comfort (precursor to the Sleep Number) is extremely comfortable.