snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 12 August 2017, 02:11 AM

Damore's own graph, on page 4 of his paper, doesn't support the argument he's making.

He shows two overlapping bell curves, one for women, one for men, of unnamed "trait". Whether these curves are actually taken from any evidence, and if so what evidence, is entirely unclear; and he may have only meant them to give an example of traits that are on average somewhat more likely in some populations than others, as opposed to traits that are entirely in one population and not in the other, as shown by the next graph. But he says that the first one, the overlapping bell curves, is what the actual situation is in regards to the issue at hand: that while there may be an average difference in personality traits, there's a huge degree of overlap.

But those curves wouldn't support a situation in which almost all the engineers, or programmers, or whatever, are male. They would support a situation in which slightly more of the engineers and programmers are male. This does not appear to be the situation that Google's actually got; and I doubt people would be making all that much of a fuss if, say, engineers and programmers were 55% male.

So even if all the rest of his argument were correct -- which I'm not granting -- it would still be necessary to explain the rest of the discrepancy.

As far as McArdle -- she may actually have come to the realization "these are not my people" because her specific co-workers reacted badly to her information dump about her romance and turned in relief instead to a different worker's fiber channel network, and not because of years of hearing them tell about client outings involving (presumably female) strippers; while, apparently, taking for granted that the clients routinely sexually harassed her. But the effect of that environment on a whole lot of other women may well have been quite different. I would have come to that conclusion much sooner, and for reasons having nothing to do with after work hobbies.

And also, I'm female. And unless the person's a close friend, which is a different situation entirely, I don't want to hear all about how their romance with somebody I've never met is going badly. I might want to read about it in an advice column; but I don't want to hear it in my face from a co-worker. I might well have turned with relief to a conversation about tillage equipment.
Old 14 August 2017, 09:47 PM

A different take on the job qualifications portion:

Quote:
The Google engineer who was fired last week over his memo wrote that most women were biologically unsuited to working in tech because they were more focused on “feelings and aesthetics than ideas” and had “a stronger interest in people rather than things.”

Many scientists have said he got the biology wrong. But the job requirements of today’s programmers show he was also wrong about working in tech.

In fact, interpersonal skills like collaboration, communication, empathy and emotional intelligence are essential to the job. The myth that programming is done by loner men who think only rationally and communicate only with their computers harms the tech industry in ways that cut straight to the bottom line.