snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 08 August 2017, 06:12 PM

Default London Police Search for Jogger Who Pushed a Woman in Front of a Bus

Article headline is a bit misleading, because she didn't get hit.

More like he attempted to push her in front a bus. Still disturbing.

Quote:
The London Metropolitan Police released disturbing video on Tuesday, showing a male jogger shoving a female pedestrian out of his way and into the path of an oncoming bus that misses her by inches.
Old 08 August 2017, 09:27 PM

I was going to say the description was also misleading because when I watched it earlier, I thought he'd just misjudged his line and accidentally shoulder-barged her over into the road rather than "shoving" her. But watching again, it does look almost deliberate - he certainly does something with his arms. And he had plenty of room to move around.

It's a good thing it was a wide pavement and she wasn't closer to the edge of the road - if she'd been a couple of feet nearer the edge then the bus would have gone over her even with the driver's good reactions.
Old 10 August 2017, 04:54 PM

Default Man arrested after woman pushed in front of London bus

Police in London arrested a man on suspicion of pushing a woman into the path of an oncoming bus while jogging.

The 50-year-old was arrested Thursday morning on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm at an address in the affluent Chelsea area, a Metropolitan Police statement said. Police have released the man after questioning him, though he remains under investigation.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/10/europe...bus/index.html

Had I written that second paragraph for a paper in Miss Hillman's grade 9 English class I can only imagine the consequences. They would not have been pretty .
Old 10 August 2017, 05:08 PM

You mean causing grievous bodily harm at an address in the affluent Chelsea area is not a crime under UK law?
Old 10 August 2017, 11:06 PM

I'm convinced that it was deliberate.

He's trotting along pretty much in the center of the lane. When he approaches the woman, it seems to me he actually moves to his right a bit before shoving her. Now, if he knew that bus was behind him? I'm sure he'll deny it. Still, I think it was a deliberate shove.
Old 11 August 2017, 02:03 AM

Yes, the more you watch it the more it seems obvious that he did it deliberately. I only didn't see that the first time because it seemed so unlikely, and my default assumption was that he'd accidentally run into her. But he actually moves towards her - and she starts to step away - and he pushes her.

Bizarre. At least he's been arrested.
Old 11 August 2017, 12:41 PM

... Although they might not have arrested the right person, of course.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...woman-into-bus

Quote:
“Our client has been wrongly implicated in this matter; he categorically denies being the individual concerned and has irrefutable proof that he was in the United States at the time of the incident. Consequently we expect a swift resolution to this wholly untrue allegation.”