snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Old 04 April 2017, 06:37 AM

Snake Scientist Believes DNA Test Will Finally Solve The Loch Ness Monster Mystery

Quote:
A scientist from New Zealand has claimed that a simple DNA could finally solve the mystery of ‘Nessie’ the Loch Ness monster.

Professor Neil Gemmell from the University of Otago, will use the forensics test to look for traces of DNA that do not match known animals that already live in the lake.
Basically they're going to run a DNA test on the water of the loch to try and find traces of monster
Quote:
‘All large organisms lose cells as they move through their environment. New genomic technology is sensitive enough to pick this up and we can use comparisons to databases that span the majority of known living things.’ he explained.

‘If there was anything unusual in the loch these DNA tools would be likely to pick up that evidence.’
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0b3918c84ad17

DNA testing didn't verify the existence of Bigfoot and I'm pretty sure they're going to have similar results here, eg: the test results will be inconclusive so the believers will keep on believing and the skeptics will stay skeptical.
Old 04 April 2017, 07:21 AM

Most likely they're just going to find some degraded DNA that isn't in good enough condition to get a conclusive match for anything and claim that it might be from the monster.

Which was really a story the locals cooked up as a tourism gimmick.
Old 04 April 2017, 02:47 PM

When we visited Dumnadrochit in 2000, my wife and I discovered that the Monster Centre & Exhibition, despite having a plesiosaur-like statue outside, actually presented displays and explanations that debunked the monster story. It was a nice day for monster-hunting--overcast, with the hills on either side of the loch vanishing in the low clouds, and a thin drizzle falling into the choppy gray water--and looking at the odd wave formations caused, I suppose, by the deep water and the narrow banks, we understood how easy it would be to suppose something big was swimming nearby.

By the way, the water straight out of the loch tastes peaty. It's supposed to be very pure, free of microorganisms, and all I'll say is that we survived with no ill effects after swigging some of it.
Old 04 April 2017, 09:09 PM

A peaty taste is not a bad thing...I like my single malts like that. Although DW claims that several smell of fire rather than peat.

Ali