snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 15 September 2017, 04:16 PM

Continuing on the subject of cars, on my way home yesterday I noticed a 1988 Chevy Nova (the one that was basically a Toyota marketed by Chevy) next to me at a red light. The reason I know it was a 1988 model will become clear shortly. A 1988 Nova might not be considered a classic just yet, but I took note of it just because I hadn't seen one in a long time. I also noticed that it had a "Twin Cam" badge on the trunk. I then went home and read this article, where I learned that that actually makes it a pretty rare version of that car -- they only ever sold about 3300 twin cam models. I'm sure there are much fewer still on the road now.

On the way to work this morning I saw a Corvair station wagon.
Old 16 September 2017, 02:23 AM

Saturday morning here, so I am watching the Saturday morning music shows, flipping between two, one on the ABC* (rage**) and one on one of the commercial stations, when I realised they were playing the same song at the same song. Which wouldn't be surprising if it was a current song but it was a song from the '90's.

*Australian equivalent of the BBC not the ABC as in America.
**Australian slang for party
Old 16 September 2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
, when I realised they were playing the same song at the same song.
Same song at the same time.

One station had a guest programmer and one was doing songs from the '90's. It was "I'm Just a Girl" if you were wondering, cant remember who by although checked just a few hours ago.
Old 16 September 2017, 01:00 PM

Icon106

The band is No Doubt.
Old 16 September 2017, 01:36 PM

I was in a pub in Windsor last night when a policeman in uniform walked in. This isn't all that unusual as you sometimes see the police making the rounds of pubs even when there's nothing obviously going on - maybe to warn of a disturbance elsewhere or to check on some report or other.

So I looked back at my book, then looked up again a moment later, and the policeman was standing at the bar holding a broom and a wire coat hanger. He then proceeded in a northerly direction towards the back of the pub, where the toilets were... A few minutes later he came back looking pleased, showed something to the bar staff, gave them the broom and coat hanger, and left.

I spent ages trying to work out what had happened (drugs in the toilet? Surely that would have involved more than one officer with a coat hanger) and eventually my curiosity got the better of me and I asked the bar staff. Apparently somebody had dropped their keys down a drain and called the police to get them back. This almost raised more questions than it answered...

(Coincidentally, this is the second time I've been to this pub in Windsor, and the first time was when I saw that Westfield 11 parked next to the Lamborghini just down the road from it. This time I also saw a Porsche 944 outside - these seem to be making a comeback as I'd not seen one for years, and as well as this one there's the gold one that parks in my road. I also saw somebody trying to do a u-turn in a narrow road in a massive RV / mobile home thing. I was going to blame American tourists but then saw that it had German number plates. Stupid German tourists! And on my way into Marlow on the way to Windsor earlier in the day, I saw a McLaren 575 drive past.)
Old 18 September 2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Stupid German tourists!
Hey!

Let's make that "Stupid inexperienced recreational RV drivers", shall we? Although I admit that it doesn't have the same ring to it.
Old 18 September 2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
recreational RV drivers
Warning! Nitpick ahead!

"RV" is an acronym for "recreational vehicle". You can improve the ring of it by not saying "recreational" twice.
Old 18 September 2017, 01:35 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Warning! Nitpick ahead!

"RV" is an acronym for "recreational vehicle". You can improve the ring of it by not saying "recreational" twice.
Not if they're driving the RV for recreational purposes.
Old 18 September 2017, 02:12 PM

Isn't that the default, though?

I'm sure occasionally a mechanic drives one to test it, or somebody drives one to deliver it; and I know that sometimes people live in them. But most people are driving them for recreational purposes.
Old 18 September 2017, 02:48 PM

Glasses

I think Kitap is thinking of re-creation, which is spelled exactly the same as recreation, but has a completely different meaning (and is pronounced differently as well). Not the kind of pun that works very well in writing.

I don't know how odd it is, really, but I saw one of those pubic utility trucks with a spool of cable today, and it had California plates (what is it doing in north Seattle? Got me).

Seaboe
Old 18 September 2017, 04:56 PM

I didn't read it that way - I'm sure there are many people who might drive an RV for reasons other than recreation, in the same sense as the "R". I didn't think Don Enrico's sentence was redundant, although "casual" might have worked there too.

If anything it was the "inexperienced" that made his (as I read it) intended sense redundant, not the "R" of "RV" part.

Anyway, we're all losing sight of the real issue, which is the stupid German tourists. (Sorry, Don Enrico).

(eta) I mean, how many people who drive SUVs are doing so for either sporting reasons, or reasons of "utility" (whatever that means, never mind "sports utility")?

(eta again) For example, they might have had a meth lab in the back, for all I know.

Last edited by Richard W; 18 September 2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 18 September 2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
This time I also saw a Porsche 944 outside - these seem to be making a comeback...
I actually read an article a while back on some car site that recommended an older Porsche 944 for people who want an affordable sports car and want something more exotic than the Miata/MX-5 and such. Perhaps that article was a reflection of a trend that was already underway.

And that reminds me of an odd things I saw last Friday -- a Porsche 911 with a vanity plate that read "QUAK" (I guess QUACK was already taken). Owned by a doctor with a self deprecating sense of humor, maybe?
Old 18 September 2017, 07:05 PM

Visited NYC for a day. In Times Square, I saw a yellow car with an Autobot emblem and cat eyes for headlights. In Penn Station, I saw a guy with some sort of armored costume. Quite entertaining.
Old 19 September 2017, 06:16 AM

Germany

Quote:
Anyway, we're all losing sight of the real issue, which is the stupid German tourists. (Sorry, Don Enrico).
Not only stupid German tourist blocking your roads doing recreational u-turns, but stupid German snopsters messing up your thread by inexperienced use of English vocabulary, eh?

But maybe if you could consider driving on the proper side of the road and using a proper language in your daily communication, all would turn out for the good...

Old 19 September 2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Not only stupid German tourist blocking your roads doing recreational u-turns, but stupid German snopsters messing up your thread by inexperienced use of English vocabulary, eh?

But maybe if you could consider driving on the proper side of the road and using a proper language in your daily communication, all would turn out for the good...

Does German humor count as an odd thing?

This morning my coworkers were wondering at the webcam for the nearby construction site. I showed them we had our own webcam for our own construction site and noticed there was a crane which I hadn't seen on the first webcam. I looked at the window and couldn't see the crane at the nearby crane site, and finally determined the reason I couldn't see the crane is because I had to look up. I could only see the top 3 meters of the crane - the remainder was hiding behind the building next to me.

So if I hadn't been looking at the webcam I would have never noticed the crane which was about 20 meters away from me.

Still don't know why the crane was there. We were theorizing it was putting yet another cell antenna on top. I think there's already 2, and with the massive number of new apartments and retail locations, the local usage is going to go up a bit.
Old 20 September 2017, 03:20 PM

Driver

Saw a homemade trailer yesterday afternoon. It looked like it was cobbled together from an old school bus and a wood pallet. Had a roof as well, but I think that the roof was once a hood on the aforementioned old school bus. Really, the sturdiest part of this trailer was its hitch, which is, of course, a good thing.
Old 20 September 2017, 03:34 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Visited NYC for a day. In Times Square, I saw a yellow car with an Autobot emblem and cat eyes for headlights. In Penn Station, I saw a guy with some sort of armored costume. Quite entertaining.
If these are the strangest things you saw at those locations, you weren't looking very hard!