snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 14 January 2014, 11:31 AM

Default My Guesses

Quote:
1. Canada's second longest river is named for which of its thirteen provinces and territories?
WAG - Yukon???

Quote:
2. On average, food spends about three-quarters of the time of digestion in which of your internal organs?
Small Intestine???

Quote:
3. Two of the biggest movie stars of their time named nonprofits--one for filmmakers, one for sick kids--in honor of their roles in a 1969 film. What was that film?
No idea

Quote:
4. The so-called "West Coast Offense" was developed by Bill Walsh while he was coaching what football team?
Sports Question!!!!!

Quote:
5. What royal house ruled France for over two hundred years after the 1589 coronation of Henry IV?
Ah, one I know (or at least I think I know) - Bourbon

Quote:
6. Who is the only woman mentioned by name in the Qur'an?
I do not know

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode, "Here There and Everywhere" by the Beatles, "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure, "Last Exit" by Pearl Jam, "One More Try" by George Michael, "Running to Stand Still" by U2, "Square One" by Coldplay, "Up the Junction" by Squeeze, "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music, "Wasn't Born to Follow" by the Byrds.
I haven't heard of most of these songs, so I can't even hazard a guess.

Not my week I guess.

MacLloyd
Old 14 January 2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Canada's second longest river is named for which of its thirteen provinces and territories?

Yukon
Quote:
2. On average, food spends about three-quarters of the time of digestion in which of your internal organs?
small intestine
Quote:
3. Two of the biggest movie stars of their time named nonprofits--one for filmmakers, one for sick kids--in honor of their roles in a 1969 film. What was that film?
no idea
Quote:
4. The so-called "West Coast Offense" was developed by Bill Walsh while he was coaching what football team?
San Fran 49ers?
Quote:
5. What royal house ruled France for over two hundred years after the 1589 coronation of Henry IV?
PLantagenet?
Quote:
Mary, mother of Jesus
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode, "Here There and Everywhere" by the Beatles, "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure, "Last Exit" by Pearl Jam, "One More Try" by George Michael, "Running to Stand Still" by U2, "Square One" by Coldplay, "Up the Junction" by Squeeze, "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music, "Wasn't Born to Follow" by the Byrds.
Old 14 January 2014, 01:31 PM

Large intestine

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

49ers?
Old 14 January 2014, 02:49 PM

1. Canada's second longest river is named for which of its thirteen provinces and territories? I am woefully ignorant of Canadian geography.

2. On average, food spends about three-quarters of the time of digestion in which of your internal organs? Small intestine?

3. Two of the biggest movie stars of their time named nonprofits--one for filmmakers, one for sick kids--in honor of their roles in a 1969 film. What was that film? The Hole In The Wall Gang? ETA: Duh. Got one of the charities right, but didn't give the film title.

4. The so-called "West Coast Offense" was developed by Bill Walsh while he was coaching what football team? WAG - the 49ers?

5. What royal house ruled France for over two hundred years after the 1589 coronation of Henry IV? Whatever house had Louis XIV, Louis XVI, etc.

Eve?

Hmmm.... I only know a few of these. Could it be that the complete title is only found in the last line?
Old 14 January 2014, 03:50 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Manitoba
Quote:

small intestine
Quote:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Quote:

Michigan. What. What?
Quote:

Valois
Quote:

Fatima
Quote:

All of them feature the harp.

Seaboe
Old 15 January 2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode, "Here There and Everywhere" by the Beatles, "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure, "Last Exit" by Pearl Jam, "One More Try" by George Michael, "Running to Stand Still" by U2, "Square One" by Coldplay, "Up the Junction" by Squeeze, "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music, "Wasn't Born to Follow" by the Byrds.[/COLOR] Hmmm.... I only know a few of these. Could it be that the complete title is only found in the last line?
Hmm, maybe close. For the first song though, the title is never mentioned in the song I don't know the others well enough to say.
Old 15 January 2014, 05:40 PM

Glasses

That is not true of Here, There and Everywhere (Kirk's guess, not the one he quoted)

Seaboe
Old 15 January 2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
Hmm, maybe close. For the first song though...
I beg to differ. In the original video it's sung in a cappella harmony after the repeat and fade ending. I distinctly remember (although we know how that goes!) hearing that version occasionally on the radio as well. I'm almost 100% sure I've got this one. I know it's true for entries 1, 2, and 5, and pretty sure that it's also true for 3, 4 and 6. Don't really know the others.
Old 16 January 2014, 06:00 AM

Australia

I only knew two on the list, "Here, There and Everywhere" and "Up the Junction", and I've spent two whole nights at work wracking my brain for what they could have in common with no luck.

Thanks for the headslap moment, musicgeek, but at least I can confirm that the UK Squeeze song fits the bill.
Old 21 January 2014, 09:37 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Canada's second longest river is named for which of its thirteen provinces and territories? As long as you count the Alaskan stretch of its length, the Yukon River is Canada's second-longest.

2. On average, food spends about three-quarters of the time of digestion in which of your internal organs? Food is in the mouth for a matter of seconds and in the stomach and small intestine for a matter of hours, but it can spend a day or two in the large intestine.

3. Two of the biggest movie stars of their time named nonprofits--one for filmmakers, one for sick kids--in honor of their roles in a 1969 film. What was that film? Paul Newman's Hole in the Wall Gang Camps and Robert Redford's Sundance Institute (which is holding a little film festival this week) are both named for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Hey, I just realized there was another Newman-Redford question on the quiz just a month or so ago. Oops.

4. The so-called "West Coast Offense" was developed by Bill Walsh while he was coaching what football team? Those were the pass-happy San Francisco 49ers coached by Walsh and his disciples.

5. What royal house ruled France for over two hundred years after the 1589 coronation of Henry IV? The Bourbons would stay on the French throne until the Revolution removed them. And their heads.

6. Who is the only woman mentioned by name in the Qur'an? "Maryam," as she's called in the Qur'an, is Jesus's mother, Mary.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode, "Here There and Everywhere" by the Beatles, "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure, "Last Exit" by Pearl Jam, "One More Try" by George Michael, "Running to Stand Still" by U2, "Square One" by Coldplay, "Up the Junction" by Squeeze, "Virginia Plain" by Roxy Music, "Wasn't Born to Follow" by the Byrds. All these pop songs use an unusual device: the title doesn't appear in the lyrics until the very, very end. (In each case, the title comprises the last words of the song.) This was (very briefly) a subject of discussion on Ken-Jennings.com seven or eight years ago, so a few of you OLD-timers might have had an edge here. But I hope not.
Old 21 January 2014, 09:40 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

Tuesday Trivia is here! Let the global celebration begin. Cue montage of cheering crowds in world capitals from the end of some Michael Bay movie. Meanwhile, an aboriginal man in a torchlit cave nods wisely, makes the final small adjustments to his sand painting. All is proceeding exactly as it should.

Thanks to your ace grader Lilly, there is new scoreboard action posted at http://ken-jennings.us3.list-manage....f&e=2ff95778e0. Are YOU on the board? If you have sent in answers, yes! If not...well, you have no one to blame but yourself.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The host of public radio's This American Life often scores the show with the music of what modern composer, his first cousin once removed?

2. In what southern French city would you find the medieval Gothic fortress called the Palais des Papes, the "Papal Palace"?

3. Spain's Josep Maria Sert and Missouri's Thomas Hart Benton are most closely associated with what large art form?

4. What TV show awards its winners the Mirror Ball Trophy?

5. There are six U.N. member states that are not officially recognized by one or more of their fellow U.N. members. What two U.N. members each have more than a dozen nations that don't recognize them?

6. The 1999 Eiffel 65 dance hit often called "Da Ba Dee" actually has what color as its official title?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these famous people? Muhammad Ali, Tim Berners-Lee, Bjork, Jackie Chan, Placido Domingo, Wayne Gretzky, Etta James, Sophia Loren, Olivia Newton-John, Seiji Ozawa, Mitt Romney, J. K. Rowling.
Old 21 January 2014, 09:43 AM

Whalephant

#7 They all wore a swan dress to an awards show?
Old 21 January 2014, 09:44 AM

Default My Guesses

Quote:
1. The host of public radio's This American Life often scores the show with the music of what modern composer, his first cousin once removed?
This American Life is hosted by Ira Glass, so I would guess Phillip Glass.

Quote:
2. In what southern French city would you find the medieval Gothic fortress called the Palais des Papes, the "Papal Palace"?
Avignon SP???

Quote:
3. Spain's Josep Maria Sert and Missouri's Thomas Hart Benton are most closely associated with what large art form?
I don't know

Quote:
Dancing with the Stars???

Quote:
5. There are six U.N. member states that are not officially recognized by one or more of their fellow U.N. members. What two U.N. members each have more than a dozen nations that don't recognize them?
WAG - Israel and China???

Quote:
6. The 1999 Eiffel 65 dance hit often called "Da Ba Dee" actually has what color as its official title?
I don't know

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these famous people? Muhammad Ali, Tim Berners-Lee, Bjork, Jackie Chan, Placido Domingo, Wayne Gretzky, Etta James, Sophia Loren, Olivia Newton-John, Seiji Ozawa, Mitt Romney, J. K. Rowling.
Wow, that's quite a list. Can't think of anything though.

MacLloyd
Old 21 January 2014, 10:23 AM

Whalephant

More seriously could #7 have something to do with being on Olympic Committees? Or torch lighting?
Old 21 January 2014, 10:40 AM

I think that is Avingnon.

One is surely Palestine, but what is the other one?
Old 21 January 2014, 02:16 PM

Icon05

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

I think the guess/suggestion above, Philip Glass, is very likely.
Quote:
Avignon
Quote:
Mobiles? That doesn't seem right. Mosaic?
Quote:
I'll go with the other one - So You Think You Can Dance
Quote:
Israel and Palestine
Quote:
Purely a guess, as I have heard of neither the band nor the composition - red
Quote:
I know that Loren has commented on her belief in getting lots of sleep, and I know Romney naps. I have a vague recollection that Rowling and Chan take naps as well, so I am going to suggest they are all famous nappers.
Old 21 January 2014, 02:43 PM

#5 I'm not sure that Palestine is an official UN member. Israel must be right. Other possible options: Cyprus, North or South Korea, Taiwan...
Old 21 January 2014, 03:21 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Aaron Copeland
Quote:

Avignon (but not "sur le pont")
Quote:

landscape murals
Quote:

So You Think You Can Dance
Quote:

Tibet and Taiwan
Quote:

Purple
Quote:

They are related to Nobel prize winners.

Seaboe
Old 21 January 2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
#5 I'm not sure that Palestine is an official UN member. Israel must be right. Other possible options: Cyprus, North or South Korea, Taiwan...
I like Taiwan for this.
Old 21 January 2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:

I think it is Blue???
Closed Thread