snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 09 August 2018, 09:47 PM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Charlton Heston - ďTake your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!Ē

But heís probably be most remembered for Ben Hur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Actually I tend to think of "Let my people go!" Though the "stinky paws" line is close, along with "You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"
"Soylent Green is people! We've gotta stop them somehow!"

Unfortunately that bloke's most memorable line will be some bullshit about a gun and his cold dead hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
To this day, people still compare any role Keanu Reeves plays to Ted Logan
Neo surely
Old 09 August 2018, 10:10 PM

I have to agree with TGG on Keanu Reeves. His role is Ted "Theodore" Logan, no matter what else he does.

How about Rowan Atkinson? Is he Mr. Bean, or Black Adder? I think Black Adder, but I despise Mr. Bean, so I think I need other takes on this.
Old 10 August 2018, 12:58 AM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post

How about Rowan Atkinson? Is he Mr. Bean, or Black Adder? I think Black Adder, but I despise Mr. Bean, so I think I need other takes on this.

Blackadder for much the same reason.
Old 10 August 2018, 02:15 PM

Glasses

I agree with Darth & Queen of the caramels (love Blackadder, despise Mr. Bean). On the other hand, perhaps he will soon be best known for playing Maigret.

Seaboe
Old 10 August 2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
To this day, people still compare any role Keanu Reeves plays to Ted Logan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
Neo surely
Quote:
I have to agree with TGG on Keanu Reeves. His role is Ted "Theodore" Logan, no matter what else he does.
I feel like he's an odd case - personality-wise I think we all still expect him to be Ted, but in terms of his highest profile role I don't see how it could be anybody else but Neo.

A few "they've been in everything" actors:

George Clooney - Danny Ocean? Or is he still Dr. Ross despite all the movies he's made since ER?

Brad Pitt - Tyler Durden?

Edward Norton - Fight Club Narrator?

Ben Affleck - ?

Last edited by Meka; 10 August 2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11 August 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
IMDB user poll - Moore is 4th behind Connery, Craig, and Brosnan.
The Guardian reader poll - same order as above.
CBS poll - Moore is 3rd behind Connery and Brosnan.
Buzzfeed poll - same as IMDB.
YouGov poll - same order as CBS, with the caveat that the highest votes were "no favorite".

Those are all polls from this decade. I think what you say may have been true once, but it isn't any moore.
I absolutley dismiss all of these facts!
Old 11 August 2018, 01:02 AM

Ian McKellan is Gandalf, of course.

However, John Huston is Gandalf's voice. Because I think I'm the only person in the world who non-ironically and non-nostalgically likes the old Rankin Bass animated version of The Hobbit.

In a similar vein, I can't watch old clips of "Brother" Theodore without thinking of Gollum, despite Andy Serkis' iconic portrayal.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:01 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Now, this one isn't going to resonate with most people, but to me, Mark Hamill will always be the Joker.
Resonates with me, but then again, I am massively obsessed with the DCAU. Not only does it do everything the movies do but better, it also does a magnificent job handling themes that the movies donít touch, though the DCAU is allegedly meant for children.

But yeah, Iím in total agreement with you on Mark Hamill. However good Heath Ledger was, itís Mark Hamillís Joker laugh I hear when I think of the character. I also consider Kevin Conroy to be Batman.

Christopher Lee will always be Saruman for me. The late great Mr. Lee had such a good rich voice that really helped deliver the ďYouíre NBSKed,Ē kind of dialogues.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:44 AM

Yes he did.

Now here's a tough one: James Earl Jones. What does everybody think?
Old 11 August 2018, 01:44 PM

Ponder

Some of these actors seem difficult to pin to an "iconic role" in spite of having been in numerous films for which they are known by many. Brad Pitt and Keanu Reeves for instance. Others have been in truly iconic roles, but seem to be getting binned into quirky fan-favorites that may not be especially well known, like Mark Hamill and... I guess he was the Joker or something?

May I posit that perhaps it is possible that part of being iconic involves being remembered after a long time by a lot of people? Because I don’t think Keaneu Reeves has an iconic role, or at least if he does it’s too soon to say. Failing that, at the very least I think it’s for a later generation than most of us to decide. I think we’re gettimg too much caught up in our contemporary experiences.

I guess I’d sum by saying... "I was born sometime after this film came out, but every time I hear the name John Doe I think of this film" is closer to fitting the bill for an iconic role, in my mind at least, than "I saw X in theaters/first-run on television and I loved it. Every time I think of John Doe I think of that."
Old 11 August 2018, 02:38 PM

I can see where you're coming from ASL. And that is actually why I think Keanu's role is Ted. The movie is almost 30 years old, and it keeps coming up. I honestly haven't thought of The Matrix for quite a while before this thread, and I don't know of anyone clamoring for a sequel or a reboot. But any rumor of a third Bill and Ted spreads like crazy.

But moving on, to something that is more in line with what you are saying. Sally Field.
Is she Gidget, The Flying Nun, or Norma Rae? Those are all older than my memory. I can't decide between Gidget and Norma Rae (FWIW, my wife was sure it was the Flying Nun). I think of her and I think of three things - Gidget, "You like me! Right now, you like me!", and her standing with her arms overhead holding a union sign. Can an Oscar speech be a most iconic "role"?

For James Earl Jones, I think it's obvious that I would say Vader. But Jack Jefferson, from the Great White Hope, could be it.
Old 11 August 2018, 02:43 PM

James Earl Jones' voice is Darth Vader. His look is Thulsa Doom, from Conan.

He'd absolutely HATE this, but Alec Guiness is, to me, Ben Kenobi.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Some of these actors seem difficult to pin to an "iconic role" in spite of having been in numerous films for which they are known by many. Brad Pitt and Keanu Reeves for instance. Others have been in truly iconic roles, but seem to be getting binned into quirky fan-favorites that may not be especially well known, like Mark Hamill and... I guess he was the Joker or something?
Mark Hamill was the voice actor for the Joker in Batman: The Animated Series and nearly all DC animated series, movies, and video games since. So for people like Mouse and myself that spent (and still spend) a lot of time watching those, the Joker is actually a more defining roll for him than his role in a movie older than we are.
Old 11 August 2018, 07:32 PM

Ponder

Ah, but my line of thinking (which I grant may not be shared by others, I’m not claiming to be the arbiter here) goes that it is your or my association of him and a movie older than ourselves that certifies it as a truly iconic role. Doesn’t mean people who saw the Star Wars OT in theaters can’t have an opinion, but when it comes to differentiating popular, memorable, or what have you vs iconic, I do think it is for a later generation to cast the final vote. Although there is certainly an input from earlier generations sustaining interest long enough for something to take hold.

It’s how to distinguish between a flash in the pan nine days' wonder vs something with staying power that rises to iconic levels. Icons last. That is until an iconoclast comes by. I’m looking at YOU, Rian Johnson.
Old 11 August 2018, 09:40 PM

Baseball

I think ASL is close to the definition I am using. For example, someone like Sandra Bullock, will she be remembered for her role in Speed, or her role in Blind Side? In one, it was a very, very popular film, and in the other, she won an Oscar.

In 50 years time, I suspect that Speed will be the one everyone can reference, and The Blind Side will be the answer on Jeopardy when someone tries to figure out the name of a film in which Sandra Bullock won an Oscar. The category will be Obscure Academy Awards Notes and it will be the $400 answer.

But today, many people will believe that she will go down in history for her Oscar win.
Old 12 August 2018, 12:03 AM

Icon401

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I think ASL is close to the definition I am using. For example, someone like Sandra Bullock, will she be remembered for her role in Speed, or her role in Blind Side? In one, it was a very, very popular film, and in the other, she won an Oscar.
Just as long as it’s not Crash. The central character in that film was irony and, though it was integral to the plot and had a lot of screen time, it couldn’t act. It’s delivery went from rambling and incoherent in one scene to deafeningly loud in the next with nothing in between to ease the transitions and the film fell apart as a result. Not that the writer/director gave it much to work with.
Old 18 August 2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
Brad Pitt - Tyler Durden?

Edward Norton - Fight Club Narrator?
Brad Pitt I still reckon no matter how big he is the first thing people will mention is that he got his start in Thelma and Louise.

Edward Norton - American History X?
Old 19 August 2018, 05:37 PM

Well, she’s early in her career, but I like my odds here. Tatiana Maslany will be known for her “role” as the Clone Club in Orphan Black. She had to play multiple characters, IIRC as many as five per episode, and some of them within the same scene, which meant Maslany had to reshoot the scene while switching characters. And this is not even counting the clones imitating other clones where she had to layer on subtle chararacter quirks from each clone. The show’s plot is pretty crazy since at the outset it requires me to accept that these clones were all born in 1984 even though PCR had been developed only the year before. And the secret cabals within secret cabals would ordinarily taffy-stretch my ability to suspend disbelief. But Maslany is fascinating to watch. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve forgotten that this is just one actor doing all of these characters. I just sit there watching her imitating a clone while interacting with the clone the imitating clone is imitating. It’s amazing how well she sells these roles, that I completely buy that these are all different people.

Also, I’ve been watching the new crafting show Making It. I’ve mentally referred to Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman as Leslie and Ron so...many....times. Putting them together just amplifies this by several orders of magnitude. Plus Ron’s...I mean Nick’s...meat obsession during the snack stadium crafting stage just reinforced an essential Ron characteristic. I kept expecting someone to do an “All the Bacon and Eggs We Have” stadium...even though technically eggs do not qualify as a snack.