snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 20 October 2017, 06:12 AM

Skull Halloween 2017 thread

It's nearly Halloween!! Here's a thread where we can post about our plans for our costumes and our yard decorations and post photos and stories.

This year I'm planning on turning my front yard into a spooky castle. I'm going to convert my entire front fence into battlements, that's 12m (roughly 40 ft) of crenelated walls and towers and stuff I need to build. The walls are going to be over 2m tall (roughly 7 ft) and the towers are going to be even taller.

Here's one section getting made:

I'm also planning on building a big dragon that breaths smoke (I already bought a small smoke machine) but we'll have to see how that goes .....

I still haven't decided on a costume for myself. Also I'm waiting until the last minute to stock up on candy because I'm expecting the stores to over-order and then put everything on sale in the last few days like they always do.
Old 20 October 2017, 06:26 AM

I figured that the scariest thing I could possibly do would be to put up the Christmas decorations in October.
Old 20 October 2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I figured that the scariest thing I could possibly do would be to put up the Christmas decorations in October.
They'll just assume that you're doing a Nightmare Before Christmas theme .... until they realise you're not taking it down after Halloween.
Old 20 October 2017, 03:02 PM

We're doing our usual decorating but it's small potatoes compared to GutterMonkey! One thing we're doing is having all the little people in our life over here for Halloween so they can go trick or treating. We live in an awesome neighbourhood for that while they live in more rural areas. So we're going to have a Halloween themed dinner and take turns taking the kiddies out while someone holds down the fort here.

Last year we had a lot of kids so we're going through our usual "how much should be buy" problem. We're going to assume we'll get at least 100 kids and we're planning to buy for 200 just in case. So now we need to decide should be buy stuff we like or stuff we don't like just in case we have a lot of leftovers .
Old 20 October 2017, 03:16 PM

Witch

No specific plans really. Got my decorations up -- a lighted ghost and monster eyes in the front windows, and pumpkins on the porch -- but I can't decide what to do with my giant spider. I plan to carve a jackolantern again this year and roast the seeds.

I also have the Halloween movie theme as an earworm thanks to the Spooky Symphonies station I found on Pandora...
Old 21 October 2017, 12:45 AM

Royalty

We'll be doing the Candy Crawl along the high street as usual.

And then the kids have Nov 1st off as a teacher training day.AKA Candy Hang-Over Day.
Old 21 October 2017, 07:31 PM

Halloween snuck up on me this year. I have no costume and no plans. I'd love to do a couples costume with my husband like we've done the last few years and go to a bar or something but my mind is coming up blank.
Old 22 October 2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Halloween snuck up on me this year. I have no costume and no plans. I'd love to do a couples costume with my husband like we've done the last few years and go to a bar or something but my mind is coming up blank.
Puppeteer and marionette?

I'm only suggesting that because being a living puppet is one of my ideas for a costume this year. Not sure how I'll do the strings since I'm on my own and there will be nobody holding them up.
Old 22 October 2017, 05:10 PM

Wires, spray-painted white to look like strings. Wrap them around your wrists!
Old 22 October 2017, 05:11 PM

Looked at pumpkins today and didn't find any that looked good. You have to find just the right pumpkin, after all, from a very sincere pumpkin patch!

I'll do further shopping during the week. I want to cave one up next Sunday night so time's getting short!
Old 22 October 2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Puppeteer and marionette?

I'm only suggesting that because being a living puppet is one of my ideas for a costume this year. Not sure how I'll do the strings since I'm on my own and there will be nobody holding them up.
It looks like people tend to attach the controller to a wire or a rod which runs up their back:

If you search Instructable or even Youtube there's probably a tutorial on it.
Old 22 October 2017, 05:17 PM

Even better than my idea... the wires on one's wrists would get in the way and be a bad eye-poke hazard for anyone around you! lol
Old 22 October 2017, 07:29 PM

I decided I'm going to be a doctor for Halloween for the foreseeable future and bought scrubs. It's too hard finding costumes that are acceptable for school and are wearable all day.
Old 22 October 2017, 10:22 PM

Icon402

Ugh! A woman I know as a customer from work was getting ready for a party t the neighbor's house. She went full blown black face complete with n afro wig. She told me today when she came in the store that she won a prize. I just don't get people sometimes.
Old 22 October 2017, 11:01 PM

Was it the "most tasteless costume" prize?
Old 24 October 2017, 12:04 AM

The friends who run the annual Halloween party chose a theme of "Bad Ideas". We've all be discussing how to manifest bad ideas without embracing anything deplorable. I'm not completely thrilled with my idea but I have all the stuff ready. I'm going to be Inappropriately Sexy Bill Nye. I found a men's button down shirt and tuned it into a peasant blouse with a separate collar. I'll wear a bow tie with just the collar. I have a brown corduroy skirt and fishnets. I'm debating what to do for shoes. I can't do high heels so I'm thinking of finding men's dress shoes that fit. The joke being that it is a bad idea for me to do anything "inappropriately sexy".
Old 24 October 2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
I can't do high heels so I'm thinking of finding men's dress shoes that fit. The joke being that it is a bad idea for me to do anything "inappropriately sexy".
Doesn't he wear penny loafers?

OY
Old 24 October 2017, 02:09 PM

I'll put up the gravestones-with-light-up-eyes and the zombie-emerging-from-the-ground again that I had last near. As an addition, I got a 7-by-5-meter (22 feet by 16 feet) spiders net that I will hang down the front of the house, with a 1.2 meter (3 feet) spider attached.

I'm wondering whether I should put the net so that it is easier seen from the road (alerting trick-or-treaters to the treats they can get) or so that you have to walk under it to reach the door.
Old 24 October 2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
As an addition, I got a 7-by-5-meter (22 feet by 16 feet) spiders net that I will hang down the front of the house, with a 1.2 meter (3 feet) spider attached.
Oh dang, I wanna see a photo of that when it gets up. I love huge props.
Old 24 October 2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
One thing we're doing is having all the little people in our life over here for Halloween so they can go trick or treating. We live in an awesome neighbourhood for that while they live in more rural areas.
Not much sense in my doing anything at all out here. I bought as usual a couple of bags of candy and if anybody does show up they'll get multiple handfuls; but I just about always wind up eating it all myself over the next few weeks, as all the trick or treaters have gone into town instead.

thorny -- grumble, grumph, you kids get on my lawn! -- locust