snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 24 August 2009, 09:47 PM

Fright Bees in a Barbecue

Comment: Something about this doesn't seem true... was wondering if there was any way you could verify. I mainly question it because of the size of the nest and the quantity of bees. It doesn't seem possible:

So I'm using my bbq this weekend... so I thought I'll clean it up. I know there are bees coming from under the cover so I thought I'd kill them, obviously...

So heres the BBQ in question

Now I know these bombs aren't for bees and that but I thought I'll suffocate/smoke them out. So here is the weapon of choice and delivery system.

I thought I was pretty smart hehehe designed to be easily manoevered under the cover of darkness...so then I release the weapon of buzz destruction.. The sound from under the cover was incredible!!! You could hear it 12 away easy. Then I ran like heck...Coming back few mins later to see the death toll...

It was at least a 2" deep mass grave. I continued to remove the cover and to light the bbq to give it a clean when I noticed some fatty looking substance on the top of the side shelf thing....Bit weird.. I clean it before I put it away for winter and no way was there fat there so I begun to wonder......NO..... it can't be could it?

I slowly removed the rest of the cover only to find the HQ.

Old 24 August 2009, 09:51 PM

too bad that would all be inedible, now
Old 24 August 2009, 09:51 PM

If he'd rung a beekeeper he could probably have sold a colony like that rather than just killing them, assuming they're honey bees - it looks as though they are to me... it does seem rather a waste.
Old 24 August 2009, 09:56 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
If he'd rung a beekeeper he could probably have sold a colony like that rather than just killing them, assuming they're honey bees - it looks as though they are to me... it does seem rather a waste.
I have to say I do feel a wee bit sorry for the bees, especially given their current plight As you say they could have been smoked and migrated easily enough, and that honeycomb is awesome on toast.
Old 24 August 2009, 09:59 PM

Hello Kitty

As the daughter of a beekeeper, people who kill bees instead of calling a local apiary annoy me. However, this is totally plausible and there is no reason why ALL these photos would be faked. Yes, there are a lot of bees, but bees live in colonies, so of course there will be a bunch.
Old 24 August 2009, 10:14 PM

Bees and wasps are attracted to propane, for some reason, so I find it highly plausible. Too bad for the bees
Old 25 August 2009, 12:02 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
. . . and that honeycomb is awesome on toast.
Wax and all? Is it edible? I mean, *how* is it edible? Thin slices, warmed to melt, or, like...what? This is totally new to me!

Silas (and there ain't much I won't eat!)
Old 25 August 2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
Wax and all? Is it edible? I mean, *how* is it edible?
I don't know about eating it on toast, but when I was a kid that was a big treat; a plain old hunk of honeycomb. It is edible.. you chew the wax and get the honey out, much like wax bottles. You can eat the beeswax as well, or just spit it out. It retains some taste, so it is not quite like eating the processed wax bottles.
Honeycomb is an awesome snack, although very hard to eat neatly. Honey tends to run all over. When I got it as a kid, first I got to eat it outside, then I got to hose down outside before I was allowed inside.
Old 25 August 2009, 12:17 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
Wax and all? Is it edible? I mean, *how* is it edible? Thin slices, warmed to melt, or, like...what? This is totally new to me!

Silas (and there ain't much I won't eat!)
As long as the combe is full of honey, I forgot to mention that

If the combe is laden it just adds to the texture and flavour, spread the honey filled wax straight onto the toast, it's a real gastronomic moment I can tell ya, even if you have to pick the odd dead bee out
Old 25 August 2009, 03:53 AM

My BIL has almost two dozen hives now. He has had bees long enough that people in his town call him when they find a hive. My favorite was the fellow who was cutting felled trees after the winds from Hurricane Ike came through Ohio. He was careful about cutting a big enough section of the tree that the entire hive was in one piece of the tree. The story didn't include him getting stung at all and I have no idea how that *didn't* happen with the chainsaw hacking away at their neighborhood heh. Eh, maybe he was cutting it by hand, whatever.

Silas, as far as eating the honeycomb, you gotta try it once or twice. It's like honey chewing gum. And then it's just ... wax. Never tried it on food like Jay Tea has, but it's truly interesting as a gum.
Old 25 August 2009, 04:15 AM

Australia

Mortein? Jumbuck barbie? Those photos are from a land Down Under.
Old 25 August 2009, 06:01 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
Mortein? Jumbuck barbie? Those photos are from a land Down Under.
Correct, I don't recall where I saw it -- blog, news or what -- but I do recall seeing something about this somewhere around 12 to 18 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
As the daughter of a beekeeper, people who kill bees instead of calling a local apiary annoy me. However, this is totally plausible and there is no reason why ALL these photos would be faked. Yes, there are a lot of bees, but bees live in colonies, so of course there will be a bunch.
Although I don't recall exactly where I saw it, I do remember that there was a follow-up where the guy who did this defended his actions. He claims to have not realised that there was an entire colony under there -- only that there were a number of bees under the cover.

Had he realised the extent of the bee population he would have called a professional to have them safely removed. At least, that was his claim... I've no indication how likely this is to be true.
Old 25 August 2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
Had he realised the extent of the bee population he would have called a professional to have them safely removed. At least, that was his claim... I've no indication how likely this is to be true.
They must have made quite a buzzing, though... a swarm of bees once flew into a chimney at my parents and came to rest in the chimney breast in my bedroom, and you could clearly hear them buzzing through the wall. We did ring a beekeeper, but when they turned up and were debating the best way to get them out, the whole swarm decided it didn't want to live there, and flew away again. As far as I remember the apiarists left empty-handed.

You should be able to buy chunks of honeycomb in farm shops, Silas - I've not had it for ages, but they are indeed fantastic spread on hot toast (as long as you aren't squeamish about the odd grub, like Jay Tea said)...

(eta) Also if he didn't realise there was an unusual number of bees, why did he start to photograph the procedure when he did, and go to the trouble of setting up the rake and so on?
Old 25 August 2009, 01:38 PM

Wolf

That is exactly how I would have handled a nest of yellowjackets. A hive that size, I would have called a pro, admittedly for my own safety rather than theirs.

ETA: If he did not know the size of the hive as he claims, why did he bother to document the process so early on?
Old 25 August 2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
That is exactly how I would have handled a nest of yellowjackets. A hive that size, I would have called a pro, admittedly for my own safety rather than theirs.

ETA: If he did not know the size of the hive as he claims, why did he bother to document the process so early on?
Bees, wasps and Yellow-jackets don't bother me, unless they get stuck in my clothing. Even been out helping a bee keeper without any protection after the hive was smoked.

I think photos are real. As to what order they were taken is a big question. I suspect that first 3 pictures were taken after the fact.
Old 25 August 2009, 04:46 PM

We had wasps in our attic and once we got up there to investigate and disable the wasps, the hive was too big for DH to get his arms around. It was like something out of a SciFi movie. I expected a huge mother wasp to come out of the dark corner and attack us. I have no clue as to how long it would have taken them to build a hive that large.

I suspect all the photos are real and could have all been take after the fact. How long would it take a colony to build something like that?
Old 25 August 2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Bees, wasps and Yellow-jackets don't bother me, unless they get stuck in my clothing. Even been out helping a bee keeper without any protection after the hive was smoked.

I think photos are real. As to what order they were taken is a big question. I suspect that first 3 pictures were taken after the fact.
Bees wouldn't have bothered me so much, but yellow jackets are just plain jerks.

Nick
Old 25 August 2009, 06:12 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate kisses View Post
I suspect all the photos are real and could have all been take after the fact. How long would it take a colony to build something like that?
For that size of colony... Depending on the size of the swarm the first time around... A few months seems about right. Possibly less.
Old 26 August 2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate kisses View Post
We had wasps in our attic and once we got up there to investigate and disable the wasps, the hive was too big for DH to get his arms around. It was like something out of a SciFi movie. I expected a huge mother wasp to come out of the dark corner and attack us. I have no clue as to how long it would have taken them to build a hive that large.
*shudder* That reminds me of the scene in The Shining with the wasps' nest. Easily one of the scariest parts of the book for me.

Bees = nice. Wasps and yellow jackets = me cowering in terror.
Old 26 August 2009, 09:43 PM

And then there's hornets...::shudders::

I don't like flying, stinging insects of any kind, but bees I can live with. Hornets need to die.