snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 15 November 2014, 05:51 PM

TV Bill Cosby Cancels Guest Spot with Letterman Amid Rape Allegations

Bill Cosby’s upcoming appearance on CBS' "Late Show with David Letterman" has been canceled amid a growing uproar over allegations that he sexually assaulted several women in past decades.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/p...ations-n249271
Old 15 November 2014, 06:39 PM

Begin uproar about how his life has been ruined by the allegations.
Old 16 November 2014, 03:25 AM

Would it be possible for Cosby to be charged or tried? I guess it would depend on what state the alleged crimes were said to have taken place? And I also get the impression from shows such as Law & Order: SVU that there is a statute of limitations on crimes such as sexual assault and rape in some states.
You wouldn't get what happened to Rolf Harris in Britain - being tried for crimes thirty or forty years after the fact.

I could well be wrong. American law seems extremely confusing. So, if I am wrong, someone please set me straight.
Old 16 November 2014, 04:16 AM

Cosby (silently) refused to comment during an interview with Scott Simon on NPR this week. Not that there's anything he could say, really, that would make any difference. I wish I could believe the accusations aren't true.
Old 16 November 2014, 04:46 AM

I think it will vary widely depending upon the state. If I'm reading this site correctly, the statute of limitations for rape and similar offenses is ten years; however, if the victim is under 18, then it ends on the victim's 28th birthday. (This is as opposed to a six-year limit for other crimes that can result in a prison sentence of more than eight years, three years for less serious crimes. There is no statute of limitations on crimes punishable by death or life-without-parole.)

Texas, to pick another state at random, also has a ten-year limit, but there is no limit if the victim was a child, and also no limit if DNA evidence is available.

From this, it sounds as though it's too late to prosecute at least some of the alleged assaults.
Old 16 November 2014, 04:53 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
You wouldn't get what happened to Rolf Harris in Britain - being tried for crimes thirty or forty years after the fact.

IIRC, there are several Aussie state police-forces looking into allegations against Harris which ,may go to trial once he finishes his sentances in the UK.
Old 17 November 2014, 05:11 PM

There is no statute of limitations on sexual assault in Canada*, but the difficulty, of course, is lack of evidence.

*Except for marital rape, sort of. Prior to 1983, spousal sexual assault was not an offense and you can only be charged with crimes that existed at the time of the incident.
Old 19 November 2014, 05:49 AM

Default Netflix says it's postponing launch of new Cosby standup comedy special

A spokesperson for the company says it is postponing the launch of "Bill Cosby 77." This follows accusations that Cosby has sexually assaulted several women.

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...283149121.html
Old 19 November 2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Cosby (silently) refused to comment during an interview with Scott Simon on NPR this week. Not that there's anything he could say, really, that would make any difference. I wish I could believe the accusations aren't true.
Why do you believe the accusations ARE true? I'm just curious. I haven't seen any proofs laid out yet. If I'm missing links, please share? I'm genuinely curious.
Old 19 November 2014, 07:28 AM

Here's a timeline with links. http://time.com/3592547/bill-cosby-r...ions-timeline/
Old 19 November 2014, 06:32 PM

Do we know if any of the 14 or so women (most anonymous) ever filed charges with the police?

I understand that the nature of these cases means victims often do not, but I'm with LLO here, still trying to feel it out.
Old 19 November 2014, 06:38 PM

AFAIK no charges were filed, but one woman sued. Cosby settled with her, which doesn't prove the truth of the charges, but also does not discredit them, as Cosby's attorney recently seemed to suggest. Keep in mind that some of the charges date back decades, when pressing charges after an acquaintance rape (especially one where the victim went willingly to the accused's hotel room, drank alcohol with him, etc.) was even more difficult than it is now.

More broadly, I lean toward believing the charges because there is a pattern of multiple women independently reporting similar experiences across a number of years.
Old 19 November 2014, 06:45 PM

Barbara Bowman stated in an interview that she tried pressing charges right after the incident and was "laughed out of the DA's office."
Old 19 November 2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
A defense of Cosby requires that one believe that several women have decided to publicly accuse one of the most powerful men in recent Hollywood history of a crime they have no hope of seeing prosecuted, and for which they are seeking no damages. The alternative is to see one of the most celebrated public fathers of our time, and one of the great public scourges of black morality, revealed as a serial rapist.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...y-show/382891/
Old 19 November 2014, 09:28 PM

That's a good quote, Lainie. I don't want to believe that he did it, but I have a lot of trouble imagining a reason why there would be a dozen women accusing him of it if he didn't. Well, I can imagine reasons, but all of them set off my BS detector. That doesn't mean I know he did it or that I could say he's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but I have a lot of trouble believing that he didn't do it.
Old 19 November 2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLockeout View Post
Why do you believe the accusations ARE true?
Barring evidence one way or another, their word is at least as good as his and they have a lot more to lose.
Old 19 November 2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLockeout View Post
Why do you believe the accusations ARE true? I'm just curious. I haven't seen any proofs laid out yet. If I'm missing links, please share? I'm genuinely curious.
There are a lot of accusations. Any one of them might be questionable, but the odds of all of them being wrong goes down with each new one.

And these aren't random crazies looking for five minutes of fame, certainly not all of them. There are a lot of women from his past that he is known to have interacted with in his life. Apart from the unknown of what happened behind closed doors, their stories are all too plausible and consistent with the details of their encounters that are verifiable. It's hard to argue with a straight face that for some reason such a high percentage of the women he comes into contact with are all so willing to just lie about him for no good reason.

He needs his day in court before he can face any legal consequences. That will have to be proven to a higher standard, that none of us could possibly have enough evidence to prove. But those higher legal standards don't prevent us from observing that things really don't look good for him at this point. Our speculation is not required to be so rigorous as the law, and we have enough information from enough different people to be very wary of Cosby at this point.

I'm perfectly fine with him suffering a career setback from people not wanting to work with him until he is willing to address and clear up these charges, hopefully with a criminal case. I just don't think it's likely to play out that way. At least some of the things coming to light are more than likely to hold up.
Old 19 November 2014, 10:30 PM

We have yet to see details of course, but the fact that there are many women telling very similar stories, at least parts of which can be verified, puts me on the "tend to believe them" side of things. The lawsuit from 9 years ago alleged he'd done this to 13* other women that they had identified. At that time, the allegations were not public, I think, so you'd have to believe there was a conspiracy of at least 14 women who all agreed to make up similar stories in order to believe Cosby's (factual) innocence. Having a superior number of witnesses saying something doesn't always mean it's true. But in circumstances like these, it can make the chances that it's untrue very very slim.

*I forget if it was 12 or 13. If it was 12 then adjust the numbers accordingly.

ETA: Or pretty much what Errata said.
Old 19 November 2014, 11:20 PM

Default NBC says Cosby project is no longer in development

NBC has scrapped a Bill Cosby comedy that was under development, the second outlet within a day to put off or abandon a Cosby project after another sexual assault allegation against the comic emerged.

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...283230361.html
Old 20 November 2014, 04:32 PM

I'm of two minds about this whole thing. On the one hand, if the allegations are true, I firmly believe that Mr. Cosby should be held accountable and subject to the same punishment as anyone else who's convicted on multiple charges of sexual assault. He is not above the law just because he's wealthy and famous.

On the other hand, he is being tried in the court of public opinion at the moment. He's been accused, and it appears as though we've skipped the trial and moved straight to sentencing. Accusations are not proof, and legally American citizens are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Do I think that it's possible for someone to be guilty of a crime and yet never see the inside of a courtroom? Yes. Do I think it's wrong to automatically assume the people who have come forward are lying? Absolutely. I can't imagine what benefit there would be in making a false accusation, especially since that, too, is a criminal offense.

But it's also within the realm of possibility that something else is going on that we aren't privy to. We don't really know what we don't know. And the assumption of guilt just doesn't sit right with me.