snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 26 January 2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
At my university health center in the early 80s, there was one doctor -- an older man who'd been there for decades -- who never saw female patients without a nurse present. I don't mean for gyn exams: he also never did those. We all assumed this was because of prior inappropriate behavior, but none of us ever questioned the fact that he was still practicing despite the apparent need for those precautions.
It may also be that this doctor himself decided that was a precaution he should take to prevent any such accusations being made.

Not being a young woman, I don't know if male doctors routinely have a nurse in the room when examining women. However, that was mentioned in a mystery book I read recently.
Old 26 January 2018, 02:54 PM

My Ob never had a nurse present for exams etc. However, all three of the male family doctors I've had over the years, have always had a nurse present.
Old 26 January 2018, 02:57 PM

Yes, I suppose it's possible that he assumed that false accusations of sexual abuse against him were likely enough to justify that sort of precaution, and that the nurse and the health center/university went along with him on it.
Old 26 January 2018, 03:01 PM

I don't know if with my doctors it was fear of false accusations. That sounds sort of negative. I think in a way it made them and the patients more comfortable. YMMV
Old 26 January 2018, 03:17 PM

My reply was specifically about my story of the older doctor at my uni health center, who as I said above did not do gyn exams. He was the only doctor in the health center that did not do gyn exams, and the only one who always had a nurse with him during non-invasive exams.

My peers and I heard hoofbeats and thought horses, not zebras. It's possible we were wrong, and it was zebras. But it seems far less likely to me.

ETA: RichardM suggested the doctor was doing it for his own protection. What else would he have been protecting himself against besides false accusations?
Old 26 January 2018, 03:25 PM

Young women throwing themselves at him?

I've got it.
Old 26 January 2018, 03:50 PM

Yeah, that was a huge risk. Those hairy ears and nostrils were HAWT!

ETA: Honestly, I'd guess the second most-likely explanation is that he had memory or cognitive issues. Also rather concerning.
Old 26 January 2018, 04:36 PM

It may have been hard to know in some individual cases, viewed in isolation, whether he was engaging in abuse or treatment. There can be legitimate medical reasons to touch the pubic area. The blame falls most heavily, I think, besides on Nasser himself, on the people who were in a position to have received multiple reports, and details like his sexual comments during appointments, as well as on those officials who were responsible for having systems in place for collecting and following up on the reports.
Old 26 January 2018, 05:20 PM

Here's an article from the local paper which explains how Nassar avoided prosecution in earlier cases. The site as a crappy paywall that should let you see the article for free, but might make you answer a couple questions first:

2014 police report sheds light on how Nassar avoided criminal charges
Old 26 January 2018, 05:34 PM

Based on that article, his defense at the time seems to be based on the touching being part of a medical procedure. Even if it was a legitimate procedure, a doctor does not continue any medical procedure when the patient tells them to stop.

Quote:
She told him to stop, but he didn't.
ETA: I'm sure there are exceptions, such as if someone appears to be in a non-competent state such as when they are suffering from overdose of drugs or a mental condition.

Last edited by GenYus234; 26 January 2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 26 January 2018, 05:44 PM

This is absolutely in no way defending that piece of crap, but I wish it were the case that medical professionals always stopped when asked to. This has not been my experience. And I say medical professionals because I've had it happen to me with doctors, nurses and dentists. Its even worse with children.
Old 26 January 2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
My Ob never had a nurse present for exams etc. However, all three of the male family doctors I've had over the years, have always had a nurse present.
I remember a number of years ago it seemed to be the norm for male doctors to have a nurse with them during an examination then it seemed to stop. I've no idea if there was a a rash of accusations against doctors going on and they decided to make having a nurse present part of their routine or if this was a recommendation from the CMA (or whoever doctors take direction from) but as I recall it was fairly prevalent. And then it wasn't.
Old 26 January 2018, 10:39 PM

My former gyn's practice started having a nurse present after another doctor affiliated with them was convicted of molesting patients.
Old 28 January 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloLlama View Post
As for everyone else who seemed to be protecting Nasser, it may appear on the outside looking in that he was a nobody, but in the gymnastics world he was not. He was the team trainer for the US women's gymnastics team.
I see. I guess combined with the doctor authority thing he was more powerful than I gave him credit for. He was just so prolific for so long it’s...disheartening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
LPP, in Delaware about 8 years ago a doctor was convicted of molesting a LOT of children at his practice, often very little kids. Afterwards it came out that a number of people, such as nurses, suspected things or even KNEW things, but...well, ya know, it is easier to just go along and who is going to believe them over a doctor?
Perhaps it’s significant, then, that the person who finally broke the case was not a patient of his, but a neighbor. He couldn’t excuse what he’d done as medically necessary.

GenYus, your wife very well could be right.
Old 29 January 2018, 05:32 PM

Chicago Tribune had a timeline of events. Absolutely heartbreaking. Sounds like a number of the "reportings" were to MSU coaches. It's disgusting how many times you read "misinterpreted a medical procedure".

The first girl listed in the timeline is ... well, at the risk of repeating myself, absolutely heartbreaking. 1995: 10-year-old girl says something to her mom. Mom is ready to tear him apart, but the 10-year-old convinces Mom that it would harm her gymnastics career. The girl ended up committing suicide in 2009.
Old 29 January 2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Chicago Tribune had a timeline of events. Absolutely heartbreaking. Sounds like a number of the "reportings" were to MSU coaches. It's disgusting how many times you read "misinterpreted a medical procedure".

The first girl listed in the timeline is ... well, at the risk of repeating myself, absolutely heartbreaking. 1995: 10-year-old girl says something to her mom. Mom is ready to tear him apart, but the 10-year-old convinces Mom that it would harm her gymnastics career. The girl ended up committing suicide in 2009.
A career against a life...
That mom must be dying inside.
Old 02 February 2018, 04:49 PM

Default Larry Nassar victims' dad tries to attack disgraced doctor in court

A father of three victims of Larry Nassar rushed toward and tried to attack the disgraced former sports doctor during a sentencing hearing Friday, after the judge declined his request for "five minutes" alone with Nassar in a locked room. He was quickly tackled by bailiffs.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/larry-n...ay-2018-02-02/

What the father did was wrong, but in the end I found it more heartbreaking than outrageous.
Old 05 February 2018, 11:54 AM

Fight

I don't blame the father one little bit. Mine would have done the same thing.
Old 05 February 2018, 04:33 PM

Baseball

On the news I heard that Nassar has been sentenced to another 40-125 years.

As for the father, I can understand completely. I am glad the court (judge) took a measured approach to resolving it.

And I hope that with Nassar being locked away by 2 states forever that his thousands of victims can start or continue on their own personal recovery.
Old 05 February 2018, 07:44 PM

Some idiot on the radio said he got such lengthy sentences because the judge was a woman, an emotional woman, who wanted revenge not justice. I have no words.