snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 16 January 2018, 03:24 PM

I am yet to use cash this year. Contrary to the above I find it much easier to budget by keeping everything on debit card/ contactless transactions as I can see each one on my banking app on my phone.
Old 17 January 2018, 11:35 AM

Icon05

It's been snowing in the area--mainly dusting--but driving into work today, I saw the following: vehicles that had been completely cleared...except for the back windshield; a car traveling on the Beltway whose back windshield (the driver's side) was only half cleared. The rest of the car was still snow-covered.

And here I was feeling bad because it's somewhat difficult to clean the roof of my car due to the luggage rack.
Old 25 January 2018, 08:37 PM

An odd smell more than something I saw- I keep getting a waft of the smell of bandages and I'm not sure where it is coming from.
Old 25 January 2018, 08:57 PM

This morning I saw a Dodge Neon sporting one of those "Trail Rated" badges Jeep puts on some of their SUVs. That just seems like such an odd thing to put on a vehicle that clearly is not an off road vehicle. And that one obviously incorrect badge made me kind of doubt the legitimacy of the SRT badge it was also wearing.
Old 25 January 2018, 11:02 PM

The SRT badge may be legitimate. See: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rt-4-road-test

The "Trail Rated" one I'm not so sure about.

However, the Neon was a car with real sporting bones.
Old 25 January 2018, 11:35 PM

Yeah, I know Dodge really made a Neon SRT. It's just that since the "Trail Rated" badge obviously didn't belong there it made me wonder if the owner may have also stuck a fake SRT badge on a lower end Neon just to make people think it was the SRT model. Sort of like how people would put fake VTEC stickers on Honda Preludes that weren't actually equipped with the VTEC engine.
Old 26 January 2018, 02:03 PM

Glasses

I've wondered about that, since every car person I've heard from (i.e., the people who would know what the badge meant) says it's fairly easy to tell the badge is fake. And the people who can't tell, probably don't care anyway. So why do it?

Seaboe
Old 26 January 2018, 02:27 PM

For the fun of it? Just like some people paint their brake calipers red or like I painted the valve cover on my car blue. That added 20 HP!
Old 26 January 2018, 06:26 PM

I didn't actually see it, but the traffic report on the radio warned of a "male pedestrian dancing in the roadway."
Old 26 January 2018, 06:34 PM

Glasses

Fun is definitely a good reason, RichardM. What color did you paint the valve color, btw?

Seaboe
Old 27 January 2018, 07:50 PM

Blue. It was actually the cover over the 'valley' between the cams on a SAAB 900 Turbo.
Old 28 January 2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I didn't actually see it, but the traffic report on the radio warned of a "male pedestrian dancing in the roadway."
Too bad do did see it, I would have liked to see it. Our traffic report never has such things.
Old 29 January 2018, 02:06 AM

The other day, I was shopping at a Ben Franklin store and saw someone I thought might be trying to be a Ben Franklin reenactor. I guess Thursday was a "celebration" of poet Robert Burns. The guy I saw is in the second picture in the article.

http://bgindependentmedia.org/bg-rev...-robert-burns/
Old 29 January 2018, 11:48 AM

Icon86

So many odd things I saw this past weekend...

On Saturday, I went to the MD State Police Polar Bear Plunge (website here). Granted, it is a party atmosphere and people dress up, but I did not need to see a man thong. At least I only saw the back side! Oh it was fluorescent green because my poor eyes had not been subjected to enough horror for one day. That was bad enough and brought back unpleasant memories of the old-fashioned sanitary napkins with the accompanying belts. *shudders* Thank god for the belt less ones that came in around 40 years ago!
Some of you old-timers may remember a Snopester named Pseudo-Croat posting something about that many many years ago. Trust me, it's something you will not forget no matter how hard you try.

Yesterday I went to the World of Pets Expo up at the state fairgrounds, and while waiting for the light at my corner to change, I saw a bicyclist holding an umbrella. Yes it is possible to ride and carry an umbrella at the same time!
Old 29 January 2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
a man thong. [ . . . ] brought back unpleasant memories of the old-fashioned sanitary napkins with the accompanying belts.
I am now giggling a good deal at the thought of the expressions on the faces of some of the men who wear those things if they realized what association you have with them.

(And I don't suppose I'll be able to unsee that association again, either. But it'll still make me giggle.)
Old 29 January 2018, 02:31 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
An odd smell more than something I saw- I keep getting a waft of the smell of bandages and I'm not sure where it is coming from.
I'm assuming you're talking about the plastic/adhesive smell, and not the smell of infection (IOW, new bandages, not used).

I saw a black dog on a lighted leash being walked in the park. Not so odd, but half the park does not have lights (because it's surrounded by houses), so this looked like one of those invisible dogs that were so popular back whenever.

Seaboe
Old 31 January 2018, 12:15 AM

Two emails from my aunt who died in the summer! Amazing what technology can do these days!! (My email did flag both as spam, but I got a laugh out of it at least...)
Old 31 January 2018, 12:43 AM

The other day I went to see The Post and happened to see the director, Steven Spielberg. These two events are unrelated. He was shopping at Trader Joe's, not seeing his own movie.

We don't usually see a ton of celebrities in town here, but the places that celebrities most often stay in Montecito were damaged by the mudslides, and there's a film festival about to start, so they're probably downtown a little more than in prior years.
Old 01 February 2018, 06:16 PM

Airplane

Actually a few days ago, but I'm under the weather and was too weak to post then:

On the shuttle bus from work to the local commuter rail station: two large flatbed trailer trucks, each carrying what looked like one half of the center section of an airliner's fuselage. (The only aircraft plant in the area closed years ago, and is now a soundstage facility - it's where NBC does its live musicals.)

Then, at that rail station - on a VERY chilly day - a man wearing a lightweight and somewhat shorter than usual kilt. (I do not live in a place where kilts are even close to being a regular sight.)
Old 01 February 2018, 06:37 PM

Glasses

Chas, how did the flatbeds fit on the shuttle bus?

Seaboe