snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05 February 2018, 08:10 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 25,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Some idiot on the radio said he got such lengthy sentences because the judge was a woman, an emotional woman, who wanted revenge not justice. I have no words.
As opposed to the logical, justice serving man who wanted to beat and/or murder Nassar?

Besides, I thought the proper justice for molesters was to be repeatedly raped in prison by large black men? Longer sentence means more time for that.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05 February 2018, 08:38 PM
Esprise Me's Avatar
Esprise Me Esprise Me is offline
 
Join Date: 02 October 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,694
Default

Yeah, where does she get off being so judgmental?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06 February 2018, 12:47 AM
Little Pink Pill's Avatar
Little Pink Pill Little Pink Pill is offline
 
Join Date: 03 September 2005
Location: California
Posts: 7,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Some idiot on the radio said he got such lengthy sentences because the judge was a woman, an emotional woman, who wanted revenge not justice. I have no words.
What did he propose would be more just?

Dean Arthur Schwartzmiller was sentenced to prison for 150 years for molesting 2 boys (though he was suspected of abusing many more). The male judge must have been super girly and emotional in that case. Total sissy.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06 February 2018, 01:02 AM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 12,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
What did he propose would be more just?
Not ruining a respected man's life over a few minutes of poor judgement, most likely.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06 February 2018, 01:08 AM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,973
Default

I didn't hear the whole thing but at least part of the argument/discussion was that sentences like the ones imposed on Nassar don't happen here in Canada (I don't know if that's actually true but I think so) and that doing so is "just" drama. I guess the implication being only women judges indulge in theatrical sentences, or something. I suspect the real point that the guy wanted to make was just as Crocoduck states. And to be honest he may well have said that. Luckily I had reached my destination and got out of the taxi**.

** And is it just me or do taxi drivers seem to always have right wing ranty type radio stations on?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06 February 2018, 03:27 AM
Dasla's Avatar
Dasla Dasla is offline
 
Join Date: 15 April 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
** And is it just me or do taxi drivers seem to always have right wing ranty type radio stations on?
I don't get taxis much these days and can't recall if this was so in my experience. But that is the cliché here in Australia.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06 February 2018, 05:05 AM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 12,253
Default

I've only ridden in a couple of taxis in the last decade, but both times the drivers were listening to hip-hop. But they had it on fairly quietly.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06 February 2018, 11:49 AM
DawnStorm's Avatar
DawnStorm DawnStorm is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2003
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 16,252
Default

Cabbies and Uber drivers in these parts tend to listen to the local all news station.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06 February 2018, 01:57 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 25,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I don't get taxis much these days and can't recall if this was so in my experience. But that is the cliché here in Australia.
Here that would be a conflict of clichés since the taxi driver stereotype is that they are the immigrants that Trump's ban would affect.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06 February 2018, 03:46 PM
Alarm's Avatar
Alarm Alarm is offline
 
Join Date: 26 May 2011
Location: Nepean, ON
Posts: 5,515
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I didn't hear the whole thing but at least part of the argument/discussion was that sentences like the ones imposed on Nassar don't happen here in Canada (I don't know if that's actually true but I think so) and that doing so is "just" drama. I guess the implication being only women judges indulge in theatrical sentences, or something. I suspect the real point that the guy wanted to make was just as Crocoduck states. And to be honest he may well have said that. Luckily I had reached my destination and got out of the taxi**.

** And is it just me or do taxi drivers seem to always have right wing ranty type radio stations on?
Sue, I believe that in Canada, sentences are served concurrently not consecutively, and that's why things like 150 year sentences "don't happen".

You can get multiple sentences, but they do not add to one another.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06 February 2018, 03:50 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,331
Default

If I cared enough, I bet I could easily find cases of consecutive sentences being "piled up" like that by male judges.

If the only "tool" you have is misogyny. . .
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06 February 2018, 05:25 PM
Beachlife!'s Avatar
Beachlife! Beachlife! is offline
 
Join Date: 22 June 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 28,373
Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Sue, I believe that in Canada, sentences are served concurrently not consecutively, and that's why things like 150 year sentences "don't happen".

You can get multiple sentences, but they do not add to one another.
I do not think that is true. Canada just applies different rules in deciding consecutive or concurrent. The sentencing matches the way the crime was committed. If someone is convicted of planting a bomb that killed 5 people they might get five concurrent sentences, but if they sent five letter bombs over the period of say a year, it would be consecutive sentencing. If I have that correct, Nassar would have received consecutive sentencing in Canada as well.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06 February 2018, 05:38 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,331
Default

IANAL, but I don't think it's quite that simple.

ETA that according to NOLO.com:

Quote:
If a defendant is convicted of a number of crimes that carry lengthy prison terms, the difference between consecutive and concurrent sentences can be tremendous. The same factors that judges tend to consider when deciding on the severity of a sentence (for example, a defendant’s past record) also affect their decisions on whether to give concurrent or consecutive sentences. Some criminal statutes, however, require that the sentence for the crime in question be served consecutively to any other crime committed in the same incident.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Judge berates domestic abuse victim, sentences her to jail crocoduck_hunter Moot Court 7 01 September 2016 02:13 PM
Saudi court sentences poet to death for renouncing Islam A Turtle Named Mack Moot Court 0 23 November 2015 01:10 AM
Judge sentences East Texas man to get married or face jail time TallGeekyGirl Moot Court 14 16 August 2015 12:15 AM
Judge orders gay man be listed as married on his death certificate snopes Moot Court 9 04 September 2013 01:57 PM
IRS claims it can read your e-mail without a warrant snopes Soapbox Derby 13 12 April 2013 12:57 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.