snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 05 February 2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Some idiot on the radio said he got such lengthy sentences because the judge was a woman, an emotional woman, who wanted revenge not justice. I have no words.
As opposed to the logical, justice serving man who wanted to beat and/or murder Nassar?

Besides, I thought the proper justice for molesters was to be repeatedly raped in prison by large black men? Longer sentence means more time for that.
Old 05 February 2018, 08:38 PM

Yeah, where does she get off being so judgmental?
Old 06 February 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Some idiot on the radio said he got such lengthy sentences because the judge was a woman, an emotional woman, who wanted revenge not justice. I have no words.
What did he propose would be more just?

Dean Arthur Schwartzmiller was sentenced to prison for 150 years for molesting 2 boys (though he was suspected of abusing many more). The male judge must have been super girly and emotional in that case. Total sissy.
Old 06 February 2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
What did he propose would be more just?
Not ruining a respected man's life over a few minutes of poor judgement, most likely.
Old 06 February 2018, 01:08 AM

I didn't hear the whole thing but at least part of the argument/discussion was that sentences like the ones imposed on Nassar don't happen here in Canada (I don't know if that's actually true but I think so) and that doing so is "just" drama. I guess the implication being only women judges indulge in theatrical sentences, or something. I suspect the real point that the guy wanted to make was just as Crocoduck states. And to be honest he may well have said that. Luckily I had reached my destination and got out of the taxi**.

** And is it just me or do taxi drivers seem to always have right wing ranty type radio stations on?
Old 06 February 2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
** And is it just me or do taxi drivers seem to always have right wing ranty type radio stations on?
I don't get taxis much these days and can't recall if this was so in my experience. But that is the cliché here in Australia.
Old 06 February 2018, 05:05 AM

I've only ridden in a couple of taxis in the last decade, but both times the drivers were listening to hip-hop. But they had it on fairly quietly.
Old 06 February 2018, 11:49 AM

Cabbies and Uber drivers in these parts tend to listen to the local all news station.
Old 06 February 2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I don't get taxis much these days and can't recall if this was so in my experience. But that is the cliché here in Australia.
Here that would be a conflict of clichés since the taxi driver stereotype is that they are the immigrants that Trump's ban would affect.
Old 06 February 2018, 03:46 PM

Canada

Quote:
I didn't hear the whole thing but at least part of the argument/discussion was that sentences like the ones imposed on Nassar don't happen here in Canada (I don't know if that's actually true but I think so) and that doing so is "just" drama. I guess the implication being only women judges indulge in theatrical sentences, or something. I suspect the real point that the guy wanted to make was just as Crocoduck states. And to be honest he may well have said that. Luckily I had reached my destination and got out of the taxi**.

Sue, I believe that in Canada, sentences are served concurrently not consecutively, and that's why things like 150 year sentences "don't happen".

You can get multiple sentences, but they do not add to one another.
Old 06 February 2018, 03:50 PM

If I cared enough, I bet I could easily find cases of consecutive sentences being "piled up" like that by male judges.

If the only "tool" you have is misogyny. . .
Old 06 February 2018, 05:25 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Sue, I believe that in Canada, sentences are served concurrently not consecutively, and that's why things like 150 year sentences "don't happen".

You can get multiple sentences, but they do not add to one another.
I do not think that is true. Canada just applies different rules in deciding consecutive or concurrent. The sentencing matches the way the crime was committed. If someone is convicted of planting a bomb that killed 5 people they might get five concurrent sentences, but if they sent five letter bombs over the period of say a year, it would be consecutive sentencing. If I have that correct, Nassar would have received consecutive sentencing in Canada as well.
Old 06 February 2018, 05:38 PM

IANAL, but I don't think it's quite that simple.

ETA that according to NOLO.com:

Quote:
If a defendant is convicted of a number of crimes that carry lengthy prison terms, the difference between consecutive and concurrent sentences can be tremendous. The same factors that judges tend to consider when deciding on the severity of a sentence (for example, a defendant’s past record) also affect their decisions on whether to give concurrent or consecutive sentences. Some criminal statutes, however, require that the sentence for the crime in question be served consecutively to any other crime committed in the same incident.