snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 26 May 2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Yep, that was it. Thanks.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:03 PM

Shifty Eyes signarure?

Why do people sign their posts on message boards like this? Their name is already on the post.

jimmy101_again

Last edited by jimmy101_again; 26 May 2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: forgot to sign my post
Old 26 May 2017, 08:09 PM

I remember back when I first joined this board people would sign their posts with an amusing quote between their first and last names.

Wilda "Like this" Beast
Old 26 May 2017, 08:48 PM

For the same reasons one might sign an email or a letter, both of which have typically already identified the writer by the time they are being read.

Personal touch, formality, habit, taking personal responsibility or pride in it, etc.
Old 27 May 2017, 01:53 AM

I don't so much mind text signatures, but I hate extravagant sig lines with scrolling words, images, and a huge laundry list of the poster's whatever they're bragging about. This is (or was) a huge thing on a lot of automotive forums for a long time - posters would have these huge long sig lines with rotating images of their cars, modifications, the cars they used to own, and usually some kind of quote from a Fast & the Spurious movie. Sometimes the sig would be longer than the post.

On one of the few car forums I still go to, signatures are text-only, but they still seem to have a lot of lists of the member's rides. Mine's a simple note telling of my sponsorship deal with Loostner Brothers' Soap Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I remember back when I first joined this board people would sign their posts with an amusing quote between their first and last names.

Wilda "Like this" Beast
ISTR that was started by the authors of the articles on the main page. I actually liked that - I usually got a laugh out of them. Never really did it, I'm not clever enough.

Roadster "Insert Witticism Here" Boy
Old 27 May 2017, 02:44 AM

Not to hijack, but there were lots of fun, goofy little features and quirky habits on the old boards - the signature files, the not-random-but-mysterious-in-methodology assigning of themed statuses to posters based on post count, the changing of user names to fit the seasonal themes... I sometimes miss the playful vibe that we once had. (There's still a lot of good-natured silliness that goes on in the various posts - as long as Satan's Hobbit is still around, I think we're safe there - but there was definitely a general vibe of "let's not take ourselves too seriously" that was fun. (Plus, you got to feel like one of the cool kids once you had figured out some of the esoterica. )
Old 27 May 2017, 02:58 AM

That was back in the days when we were controlled by a Secret Liberal Cabal.

Or owned by Svenska Limpa Catering; I never did figure it out.

Cer "Internyms are weird when you don't use a last name" vus
Old 27 May 2017, 03:51 AM

I always sign all my posts so that everyone will know that it was definitely me who wrote it.
Old 27 May 2017, 05:44 AM

Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Not to hijack, but there were lots of fun, goofy little features and quirky habits on the old boards - the signature files, the not-random-but-mysterious-in-methodology assigning of themed statuses to posters based on post count, the changing of user names to fit the seasonal themes... I sometimes miss the playful vibe that we once had.
Back in my day, our login name didn't have to be the same as our screen name.

One stupid question, though, why did the old board retain posts forever but this one seems to have some weird algorithm for deleting old posts that is not based solely on age? Some of those posts in fauxtography are ancient, for instance.
Old 27 May 2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I always sign all my posts so that everyone will know that it was definitely me who wrote it.
Who the heck wrote this??!!
Old 27 May 2017, 03:15 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
One stupid question, though, why did the old board retain posts forever but this one seems to have some weird algorithm for deleting old posts that is not based solely on age? Some of those posts in fauxtography are ancient, for instance.
I asked this years ago, but it seems to have disappeared.

Seriously, I asked on the old board, and asked again here after trying to find old discussions. On both boards, if the topic had something to do with an UL, or debunking of a rumour, it typically would be kept. If it was just chatter, debate or conversations, on both boards they had a lifespan.

On one (not sure which version of the board), it required moderator interaction to delete. On the other, there were "rules" in the software that let it expire.

So, as I see it, the Urban Legends section would be kept, the non-UL section kept based upon topic and the SLC would have a lifespan whereby. I haven't dug in too deeply to confirm this. But that is my understanding after I asked last time.
Old 27 May 2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Back in my day, our login name didn't have to be the same as our screen name.

I believe that the Urban Legends section of the board has a longer expiry period.