snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29 May 2013, 09:33 AM
Andrew of Ware's Avatar
Andrew of Ware Andrew of Ware is offline
 
Join Date: 22 April 2003
Location: Ware, Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 8,017
Australia Australia ranked 'happiest' developed nation again

Australia may not be in the survey of the world's most popular countries.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=85648

But, it is the happiest.

Quote:
Australia has been ranked the world's happiest nation among developed economies for the third year running.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22685260

Ah, but she wait until later this year when they lose the Ashes.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30 May 2013, 07:28 PM
SatansHobbit's Avatar
SatansHobbit SatansHobbit is offline
 
Join Date: 31 May 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,756
Australia



Quote:
Ah, but she wait until later this year when they lose the Ashes.
Piss off!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30 May 2013, 08:19 PM
Andrew of Ware's Avatar
Andrew of Ware Andrew of Ware is offline
 
Join Date: 22 April 2003
Location: Ware, Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 8,017
Default

I will probably have to when Australia win the series! I have just had an e-mail from my cricket club who are hosting one of the tests. They have asked for volunteers to help put 'smiles on faces' for those coming to the match. However, as Aussies are the happiest people in the world that shouldn't be necessary for the travelling supporters.

But why are Aussies so happy - besides the wonderful climate, the lack of a recession and being 10,000 from the UK, that is?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30 May 2013, 11:29 PM
Brad from Georgia's Avatar
Brad from Georgia Brad from Georgia is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2000
Location: Snellvile, GA
Posts: 13,142
Default

Foster's, mate.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30 May 2013, 11:41 PM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast WildaBeast is offline
 
Join Date: 18 July 2002
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 15,198
Default

Anyplace where "No worries, mate" is a common expression must be happy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31 May 2013, 12:07 AM
Dropbear's Avatar
Dropbear Dropbear is offline
 
Join Date: 03 June 2005
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 7,237
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Foster's, mate.
We're happy because we've persuaded everyone else in the world to take it off our hands.

We keep the real beer for ourselves.

Dropbear
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31 May 2013, 12:55 AM
Dasla's Avatar
Dasla Dasla is offline
 
Join Date: 15 April 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,539
Default

Boiling mud. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V09YCGiVoU


no, wait, that's New Zealand.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31 May 2013, 10:17 AM
gopher's Avatar
gopher gopher is offline
 
Join Date: 06 January 2005
Location: Sunderland, Northumbria, UK
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
Australia may not be in the survey of the world's most popular countries.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=85648

But, it is the happiest.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22685260

Ah, but she wait until later this year when they lose the Ashes.
Considering the last one isn't the phrase "Lose the Ashes again"?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31 May 2013, 10:21 AM
Brad from Georgia's Avatar
Brad from Georgia Brad from Georgia is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2000
Location: Snellvile, GA
Posts: 13,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
We're happy because we've persuaded everyone else in the world to take it off our hands.

We keep the real beer for ourselves.

Dropbear
You know, I rather suspected that. We're doing the same with grits, but it hasn't taken yet.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31 May 2013, 10:35 AM
Dropbear's Avatar
Dropbear Dropbear is offline
 
Join Date: 03 June 2005
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 7,237
Australia

We're happy about that too.

Dropbear
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31 May 2013, 10:51 AM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
Ah, but she wait until later this year when they lose the Ashes.
We have so much to be happy about that we don't don't have time to constantly think about the one highlight of English life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Foster's, mate.
I can honestly say I have not seen Foster's being consumed in Australia in over 30 years. (If you want the good stuff, ask for Cascade or Boags.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31 May 2013, 10:59 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,494
Australia

I wonder if this survey took into account the fact that their frowns are always upside down.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31 May 2013, 11:01 AM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I wonder if this survey took into account the fact that their frowns are always upside down.


(That's me smiling. It just looks like a frown because you're up the wrong way.)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 31 May 2013, 11:07 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,494
Australia

That's what I mean!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 31 May 2013, 11:14 AM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,490
Australia

The reason we are the happiest is simple. We are a multicultural society and have managed to take the best parts of every other country and dump the bad parts (mostly). Mix with great weather, the best beaches in the world, a pathological love of sports and the outdoor lifestyle and the ability to laugh at pretty much everything (including ourselves) and you have the best country on Earth.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 31 May 2013, 02:39 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 25,425
Default

They appear to be the happiest because they simply exile the unhappy looking folks to the outback, where pollsters dare not go.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 31 May 2013, 02:41 PM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,494
Australia

The crocs eat the cranks.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31 May 2013, 02:54 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is online now
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 25,789
Default

I can't help thinking of that Nirvana song, for some reason. "I think I'm dumb... or maybe just happy."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 31 May 2013, 03:03 PM
Mad Jay's Avatar
Mad Jay Mad Jay is offline
 
Join Date: 19 July 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 13,464
Default

The main complaint I have for Australia is that the "we make fun of everyone" attitude can become a veneer for "We are not going to solve problems"

In 2009, Indian students raised concerns over racially motivated attacks against Indians. The Australian govt did a study and figured out Indians are statistically equally likely to be attacked as non-Indians, and whatcha gonna do about it? Umm.. that doesn't make it ok. Just because everyone is equally screwed doesn't mean that you don;t do anything about it. The funniest thing is they spent 2 years doing the study, instead of addressing the problem. Seems like a lot of work to do nothing.

Laidback is fine. You let people have a drink on the beach. That's great. But, when you are that laidback that you don't care about people being attacked, you are essentially avoiding your job.

I think Australia is a great country, and Australians are good people. There are a lot of places where Indians get treated a lot worse. But seriously, if you claim to be a multi-ethnic society, you can do a lot better protecting your minorities.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 31 May 2013, 03:05 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 25,425
Default

Hey now. Don't harsh the buzz.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pop Tarts are illegal in Australia snopes Food 11 06 March 2009 05:49 PM
Art theft ranked as fourth-largest criminal enterprise snopes Crime 0 03 September 2007 07:01 AM
Perpetual motion machine developed in Dublin, Ireland - resurrected TrekkerScout Science 20 19 July 2007 12:52 AM
Australia will pay fertile men to move there? black roses19 Politics 10 26 April 2007 01:26 AM
Australia Day photo snopes Fauxtography 4 20 February 2007 04:05 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.