snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 09 October 2018, 02:07 PM

Default Ken Jennings Trivia

Hello all,

We're starting a new thread. Since it's been a while since these rules were posted I went back and found an old list:

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And with all that, here we go ...

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What dish can be called "gnudi" if it's made with ricotta cheese mostly replacing the potato or semolina flour?

2. What state's three oldest colleges are the "consortium" of liberal arts schools named Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin?

3. Cirrus, meaning "curl" in Latin, is the highest of the four main types of what?

4. Between World War I and World War II, what was by far the world's most populous country never to officially join the League of Nations?

5. Who's the best-known artist who still raps using the surname that Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J, and Method Man were all born with?

6. Since 1904, a 43-foot bronze statue of "Christ the Redeemer" carrying a cross has marked a pass in what mountain range?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these poems? "The Bells," "Birches," "The Emperor of Ice-Cream," "In Flanders Fields," "Jenny Kissed Me," "The Lady of Shalott," "Lochinvar," "Not Waving But Drowning," "Poetry," "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod."

Enjoy
Old 09 October 2018, 02:15 PM

1. What dish can be called "gnudi" if it's made with ricotta cheese mostly replacing the potato or semolina flour?

I have no idea Gnocchi?

3. Cirrus, meaning "curl" in Latin, is the highest of the four main types of what?

Clouds
Old 09 October 2018, 03:41 PM

2. What state's three oldest colleges are the "consortium" of liberal arts schools named Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin?

Massachussetts?

Clouds.

4. Between World War I and World War II, what was by far the world's most populous country never to officially join the League of Nations?

China?
Old 09 October 2018, 04:11 PM

1. Gnocchi.

2. Maine.

3. Clouds.

4. The United States.

5. Don't know.

6. Andes?

7. Nothing jumps out at me. A couple are from the perspective of someone dead, but that doesn't apply to all of them, I don't think.
Old 09 October 2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Maine
Quote:
U.S.
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these poems? "The Bells," "Birches," "The Emperor of Ice-Cream," "In Flanders Fields," "Jenny Kissed Me," "The Lady of Shalott," "Lochinvar," "Not Waving But Drowning," "Poetry," "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod."
Hmmm. I know most of these but I can't think of anything.
Old 09 October 2018, 04:16 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

This must be gnochi.
Quote:

Bow down to Bowdoin (which I don't know how to pronounce, but the spelling made this irresistible). The only one of the three that I've heard of is Bowdoin, and I don't know where it is, which is why I'm going to say Pennsylvania.
Quote:

Clouds.
Quote:

Most populous? Hmmm. My instinct is to go with China, but on the off chance that this is a trick question, I'll say the United States.
Quote:

5. Who's the best-known artist who still raps using the surname that Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J, and Method Man were all born with?
I can't actually think of a rapper with a surname (I'm not real familiar with rap). "Still raps" makes me think this is someone who has been around a while. I'm going to say Will Smith.
Quote:

6. Since 1904, a 43-foot bronze statue of "Christ the Redeemer" carrying a cross has marked a pass in what mountain range?
The Andes, I believe
Quote:

That's an interesting collection. I know The first, fourth, fifth, sixth, and ninth. I honestly can't see the connection between a war poem supposedly narrated by a dead soldier and a fairy tale about a baby's eyes & head going on a dream journey.

Seaboe
Old 09 October 2018, 04:52 PM

1. What dish can be called "gnudi" if it's made with ricotta cheese mostly replacing the potato or semolina flour? gnocchi?

2. What state's three oldest colleges are the "consortium" of liberal arts schools named Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin? I should know this, but am drawing a blank.

3. Cirrus, meaning "curl" in Latin, is the highest of the four main types of what? cloud

4. Between World War I and World War II, what was by far the world's most populous country never to officially join the League of Nations? Isn't that The U.S.? I seem to remember this as an interesting fact when we studied this time period in high school, but I could be wrong.

5. Who's the best-known artist who still raps using the surname that Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J, and Method Man were all born with? I'm assuming Will Smith - I wasn't sure about the "still" designation, but I think I remember hearing that he had some new material released recently.

6. Since 1904, a 43-foot bronze statue of "Christ the Redeemer" carrying a cross has marked a pass in what mountain range? The Andes

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these poems? "The Bells," "Birches," "The Emperor of Ice-Cream," "In Flanders Fields," "Jenny Kissed Me," "The Lady of Shalott," "Lochinvar," "Not Waving But Drowning," "Poetry," "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod." The last line of each is the title? (This is true for the ones I know, anyway.)
Old 09 October 2018, 05:04 PM

Yeah, I think you got number 7, musicgeek.
Old 09 October 2018, 06:09 PM

We almost managed to get number 7 between us last week..! I did better than this week anyway.

1. Gnocchi I expect.

3. Clouds.

4. I should know that... either China or India? I can't remember if the latter would have joined independently of the British Empire or not. Or maybe it's something less obvious - Indonesia?

I could try to guess at the rest but won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
I don't know enough to have a reliable guess but a couple of them (In Flanders Fields and Not Waving But Drowning) are narrated from the point of view of somebody who's dying, I think.
Old 09 October 2018, 06:31 PM

Yup, pretty sure musicgeek has number 7. It's true of all the ones on the list that I know.
Old 09 October 2018, 07:54 PM

Glasses

Am I the only one here who knows Wynken, Blynken, and Nod well enough to quote it? Musicgeek's theory fits that poem, too.

Seaboe
Old 09 October 2018, 08:32 PM

I definitely have heard it and I think I used to know it, but I've completely forgotten where or how. Other than that I now vaguely associate it with "The Night Before Christmas" for some reason.
Old 10 October 2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Am I the only one here who knows Wynken, Blynken, and Nod well enough to quote it?
One of a few poems I memorised as a kid. I can still remember it (but I may have some words wrong). Another is in the question and it also fits the mg theory.
Old 10 October 2018, 01:05 AM

1. What dish can be called "gnudi" if it's made with ricotta cheese mostly replacing the potato or semolina flour? Gnocci?

3. Cirrus, meaning "curl" in Latin, is the highest of the four main types of what? Clouds.
Old 10 October 2018, 07:38 PM

1. Guessing gnocchi, but pretty sure it's right
2. Somewhere in the NE, but the actual state is a guess - Maine?
3. Cloud
4. I'm going with the U.S. I think that the U.S. signed the covenant, but then never actually joined. I think the "officially" bit is a clue.
5. LL Cool J stand for Ladies Love Cool James, so I've been trying to come up with a James that raps. I can't, so I'll mix it with the name of the only rapper to share my name, and say "James the Rapper". Heck, it could be right, I suppose.
6. The only South American range I can name is the Andes
7. I got nothing.
Old 10 October 2018, 07:45 PM

Darth Credence, I was going down that exact path for #5 until I remembered the definition of surname.
Old 10 October 2018, 08:06 PM

Glasses

James is a surname, just ask Etta (although, upon reflection, I don't think you can without consulting a medium).

Seaboe
Old 11 October 2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Darth Credence, I was going down that exact path for #5 until I remembered the definition of surname.
I am not sure how I missed that. I don't have any idea of what any of the listed people's surnames are, so I'm out on that question.

Seaboe, LeBron would also assure us that James is a surname, but I don't think any ladies loved cool James James.
Old 16 October 2018, 12:42 PM

Hello, all.

Ken Jennings writes:
This is the 640th consecutive week of Tuesday Trivia. If you're new, I'm not going to try to catch you up on the 639 you missed. I think there were a few questions about penguins, and maybe one about Daniel Boone? Not sure.

And with that we move on to ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Gnudi, gnecessarily, has ricotta. If you use gno ricotta, it's gnot gnudi--it's gnocchi.

The Colby-Bates-Bowdoin Consortium are sometimes known as the "Maine Three." Is that a pun? Do they have puns in Maine?

Cirrus are higher and wispier than cumulus, nimbus, and stratus, the other types of clouds.

The Soviet Union did join briefly, but the United States never did, crippling the League's chances for success. This was a tragic and ironic failure for Woodrow Wilson, who championed the League of Nations' creation after World War I, but couldn't get Senate Republicans to ratify joining the League.

Those rappers are, respectively, Trevor Smith, James Smith, and Clifford Smith. The best-known rapping Smith who DID keep his surname is the Fresh Prince himself, Will Smith. Sam Smith doesn't rap, thank goodness.

The statue, placed on the Argentine-Chilean border to celebrate the peaceful outcome of a border dispute, is called the "Christ of the Andes."

These much-anthologized verses all end the same way. The last words of each poem are the title of the poem itself.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What 1888 poem is set in the town of Mudville?

2. In some Islamic traditions, what can a man do by repeating the word "talaq" three times?

3. Because of Michael Jordan's baseball hiatus, the top NBA scorer of the 1990s was by a wide margin what player, who played the whole decade for the same team?

4. Between 1994 and 2000, what American company tried unsuccessfully to register the iconic sound of its engines?

5. The passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, great auk, Eskimo curlew, and pinnated grouse are the six now-extinct species of the 435 immortalized by whom?

6. What famous woman became director of the Red Cross's new radiology service in Paris during World War I?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by each of these comedians? Louie Anderson, Roseanne Barr, John Candy, Bill Cosby, Howie Mandel, Rick Moranis, Richard Pryor, Paul Reubens, Robin Williams, Al Yankovic.

Enjoy!
Old 16 October 2018, 12:53 PM

Whalephant

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What 1888 poem is set in the town of Mudville? I believe it's Casey at the Bat.

2. In some Islamic traditions, what can a man do by repeating the word "talaq" three times?
Hmm- divorce his wife?

3. Because of Michael Jordan's baseball hiatus, the top NBA scorer of the 1990s was by a wide margin what player, who played the whole decade for the same team? Dunno.

4. Between 1994 and 2000, what American company tried unsuccessfully to register the iconic sound of its engines?
I bet this is Harley-Davidson.

5. The passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, great auk, Eskimo curlew, and pinnated grouse are the six now-extinct species of the 435 immortalized by whom?
Must be Audubon

6. What famous woman became director of the Red Cross's new radiology service in Paris during World War I?
Sounds like it should be Marie Curie

7. What unusual distinction is shared by each of these comedians? Louie Anderson, Roseanne Barr, John Candy, Bill Cosby, Howie Mandel, Rick Moranis, Richard Pryor, Paul Reubens, Robin Williams, Al Yankovic.

They're germophobes?