snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 18 October 2018, 03:06 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what did you think was wrong with UELs answer?
Well, it turns out I misread his answer, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Seaboe
Old 18 October 2018, 09:43 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Well, it turns out I misread his answer, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Seaboe
Which is good. I have no clue about basketball, so I was taking you at your word that I was wrong.
Old 19 October 2018, 03:13 PM

Glasses

According to Darth Credence, we both are.

Seaboe
Old 23 October 2018, 01:52 PM

Here we go again ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What 1888 poem is set in the town of Mudville?
There is no joy in Mudville after their big baseball loss, according to the final stanza of "Casey at the Bat."

2. In some Islamic traditions, what can a man do by repeating the word "talaq" three times?
Summon from the netherworld "Mr. Talaq," who is the Islamic Beetlejuice. No, no, no. Divorce his wife. It's worth noting that the so-called "triple talaq" has been denounced by many Muslims, who hold that Muhammad himself forbade it.

3. Because of Michael Jordan's baseball hiatus, the top NBA scorer of the 1990s was by a wide margin what player, who played the whole decade for the same team?
It would have been Jordan, except that he lost two seasons to a gambling-related ban quietly imposed by David Stern--um, I mean, to his deep love for the double-A Birmingham Barons of the White Sox minor league system. As a result of Jordan's mysterious absence, the top scorer of the 1990s was Karl "the Mailman" Malone.

4. Between 1994 and 2000, what American company tried unsuccessfully to register the iconic sound of its engines?
Sound trademarks are notoriously hard to register, which is why Harley-Davison spent six years litigating its application for the distinctive "chug chug chug" of its motorcycle engines, to no avail.

5. The passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, great auk, Eskimo curlew, and pinnated grouse are the six now-extinct species of the 435 immortalized by whom?
John James Audubon painted 435 different birds, but only 429 are still around.

6. What famous woman became director of the Red Cross's new radiology service in Paris during World War I?
X-ray pioneer Marie Curie used the new technology to examine over one million soldiers during World War I, saving untold lives.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by each of these comedians? Louie Anderson, Roseanne Barr, John Candy, Bill Cosby, Howie Mandel, Rick Moranis, Richard Pryor, Paul Reubens, Robin Williams, Al Yankovic.
In addition to their standup and sketch success, each headlined his or her very own children's TV show on Saturday morning at some point. Hey, it was a different time. And many, many of these people are still more famous as comics than as date-rapists.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What modern American metropolis bears the original pre-Arabic name for Amman, Jordan?

2. Charles Duke, David Scott, and Harrison Schmitt are three of the last four surviving men in a very elite fraternity. Who is the fourth and final member?

3. In what part of the body would you find the anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament?

4. In a 2017 movie, what name does Christine McPherson insist on going by at Immaculate Heart High School?

5. A single maritime "O" (Oscar) flag is used to signal "man overboard." What are two Oscar flags used to do?

6. The Norse "Yggdrasil" and the Buddhist "Bodhi" are both mythical examples of what?

7. Based on the unusual distinction they all share, what American politician is most prominently missing from this list of famous people? Ethan Allen, Benedict XVI, Winston Churchill, James Clavell, Andrew Jackson, Eli Lilly, Jean-Paul Sartre, Kurt Vonnegut.

Enjoy!
Old 23 October 2018, 02:07 PM

Whalephant

#6 is tree.

#1 - Memphis? Though I can't imagine that's correct. Or Phoenix, maybe?
Old 23 October 2018, 02:14 PM

Not my week.

1. Don't know.

2. Gene Cernan.

3. Knee.

4. Don't know.

5. Don't know.

6. Tree of life?

7. No idea.
Old 23 October 2018, 02:16 PM

3. In what part of the body would you find the anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament?

The knee

6. The Norse "" and the Buddhist "Bodhi" are both mythical examples of what?

Trees
Old 23 October 2018, 02:17 PM

The knee

6. The Norse "" and the Buddhist "Bodhi" are both mythical examples of what?

Trees
Old 23 October 2018, 02:35 PM

1. Philadelphia.

3. the knee.

I think 6. is Tree of life?
Old 23 October 2018, 02:52 PM

7 is that they were all POWs, so the politician is John McCain.
Old 23 October 2018, 03:15 PM

4. In a 2017 movie, what name does Christine McPherson insist on going by at Immaculate Heart High School? Ladybird?

5. A single maritime "O" (Oscar) flag is used to signal "man overboard." What are two Oscar flags used to do? Signal that there is pestilence aboard?
Old 23 October 2018, 03:31 PM

Glasses 2 for 7, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What modern American metropolis bears the original pre-Arabic name for Amman, Jordan?
I like this question. I have no clue what the answer is, but I like it. I'm going with Syracuse for my non-answer.
Quote:

2. Charles Duke, David Scott, and Harrison Schmitt are three of the last four surviving men in a very elite fraternity. Who is the fourth and final member?
Are these all sports commissioners who banned players for gambling? If so, I have no clue who the fourth is, other than knowing it's not Pete Rose.
Quote:

The knee.
Quote:

4. In a 2017 movie, what name does Christine McPherson insist on going by at Immaculate Heart High School?
Proud Mary.
Quote:

5. A single maritime "O" (Oscar) flag is used to signal "man overboard." What are two Oscar flags used to do?
signal "this ship is sinking."
Quote:

6. The Norse "Yggdrasil" and the Buddhist "Bodhi" are both mythical examples of what?
trees.
Quote:

7. Based on the unusual distinction they all share, what American politician is most prominently missing from this list of famous people? Ethan Allen, Benedict XVI, Winston Churchill, James Clavell, Andrew Jackson, Eli Lilly, Jean-Paul Sartre, Kurt Vonnegut.
Woodrow Wilson, because his was the first name that popped into my head.

Seaboe
Old 23 October 2018, 03:37 PM

1. Gah, I've been there but don't know. I'm going to guess Minneapolis. The "original" in the question may turn out to be controversial depending on the answer... (eta) D'oh! Pretty sure dfresh is right. I should have remembered that.

2. Neil Armstrong is still alive I think (or did I miss it?).

3. Knee.

4. Don't know.

5. Er, two men overboard? Woman overboard?

6. Trees - specifically the World Tree that reaches from the underworld to Asgard and shelters Valhalla, and the tree that Buddha meditated under, respectively.

Quote:
Were they all alcoholics (possibly recovering), in which case George W Bush? Seems unlikely though, as I'm not sure some of them would have even agreed with the concept. At best it's a bit subjective.

Hmm, war veterans, in which case John McCain? Again, that must be common enough for "most prominent" to be dubious though. (eta) Aha, I knew I wasn't specific enough but having read Steve's answer, I was closer than I thought!

So no immediate real ideas, basically.
Old 23 October 2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
2. ... is still alive I think (or did I miss it?)
He died a few years ago but Buzz Aldrin is still alive.
Old 23 October 2018, 04:54 PM

Ah, I got that the wrong way round. I knew one of those two had died but forgot which... (Assuming I have the "elite fraternity" right, that is!)
Old 23 October 2018, 06:58 PM

1 is definitely Philadelphia.
Old 23 October 2018, 07:33 PM

Baseball 1-2 this week

1. I believe that is Philadelphia.

2. I have seen a lot of news about the anniversary of landing on the moon. I'm going with Buzz Aldrin.

3. Athletes seem to injure their knees when they have ACL tears.

4. I haven't seen a 2017 movie. I'll guess Madonna.

5. Ship is sinking?

6. I dunno. Beasts that are composed of two other animals.

7. Donald Trump. Pure guess.
Old 23 October 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I like this question. I have no clue what the answer is, but I like it. I'm going with Syracuse for my non-answer.

Seaboe
I like this. I was going to go with Sacramento for my non-answer.
Old 23 October 2018, 11:47 PM

2. Charles Duke, David Scott, and Harrison Schmitt are three of the last four surviving men in a very elite fraternity. Who is the fourth and final member? I don't know the name, but aren't these the guys who escaped Alcatraz?

3. In what part of the body would you find the anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament? Knee?

4. In a 2017 movie, what name does Christine McPherson insist on going by at Immaculate Heart High School? Ladybird?

6. The Norse "Yggdrasil" and the Buddhist "Bodhi" are both mythical examples of what? Trees.
Old 24 October 2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
2. Charles Duke, David Scott, and Harrison Schmitt are three of the last four surviving men in a very elite fraternity. Who is the fourth and final member? I don't know the name, but aren't these the guys who escaped Alcatraz?
If you are talking about the raft made of raincoats escape, I think only three men escaped that way (there were three men when Mythbusters did it and they were trying to duplicate it as close as possible). Also, I don't think the fates of any of them are known.