snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 24 September 2018, 03:30 PM

Supposedly it's a pint glass, believe it or not! I think it might only be two-thirds, though. The whole bottle (500ml, less than a pint) didn't look like it was going to fit in it in one go. (I used that one because it's the only one my parents had with a handle, and using a straight glass would have looked even more wrong...)

When we get to the real thing, I am assuming that the glasses / steins are going to be rather a lot bigger.
Old 24 September 2018, 03:33 PM

What do you mean "supposedly it's a pint glass"? I thought all beer mugs had to be marked with pint and half-pint levels, by order of the Queen.
Old 24 September 2018, 03:38 PM

In pubs, or if selling beer, they do... not for personal use though. If it was one from a beer festival, it would have markings (some of the beer festival ones even include a line for 1/3 pint these days). So you're right, it might not be actually meant to be a pint glass. I just assumed it had been meant to be a pint glass, because usually that sort of glass would be!

Apparently somebody gave it to my mum for sale in one of the charity jumble sale events that they help with, so it's not a glass that they ordinarily use - she dug it out of a box somewhere for the picture. It didn't occur to me that it might not be a full pint until pouring beer into it and seeing the photo. Usually I'd have noticed straight away, but I was trying to pour with a decent head on the beer (which didn't really work) so was topping it up and drinking bits and didn't try to get the whole bottle in the glass at once...
Old 24 September 2018, 06:40 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Supposedly it's a pint glass, believe it or not! I think it might only be two-thirds, though.
Could it be an American pint?

Especially if it is not a commercial glass. High Wycombe had a lot of Americans, bringing their oddly sized glasses with them.
Old 24 September 2018, 08:32 PM

And the lack of decent head on tht beer would not be tolerated in Germany!
Old 24 September 2018, 08:58 PM

Oi! The beer originally had a much better head than that, but it went away during the time that it took to show my mum how to take a decent photo using my phone!

And UEL, my parents don't live in High Wycombe, so I doubt that's it. Although you're right that it's not a commercial pint glass. I was wrong when I said "supposedly it's a pint glass, believe it or not". I have no reason to think that it was intended as a pint glass other than that it was bigger than a half, and other glasses that shape are usually commercial pint glasses! With a line on it, it might even be able to pass as a commercial half-pint.

We are all agreed that it's a completely inappropriate glass to drink from while wearing my inappropriate Bavarian costume, though. It was the least inappropriate glass (and costume) available at the time...
Old 24 September 2018, 08:58 PM

Charles Bamforth, a UK born professor who teaches brewing at the nearby University of California, Davis, is a frequent guest on a talk show on the local public radio station here. From the sound of it, he spends much of his time chastising American bartenders for the lack of a proper head on their beer. Although he'd probably also chastise Richard for his beard, as according to his research facial hair destroys the foam, which just detracts from the whole beer drinking experience.

And yes, apparently his official title is "Anheuser-Busch Endowed Professor of Malting and Brewing Sciences". Because this is America, where we have corporate sponsorships for literally everything.
Old 24 September 2018, 09:15 PM

He must be a northerner. (Indeed, it says he grew up in Lancashire - I'd not read that before I made my assumption). In the south of England, we tend to prefer there to be not much head on our beer. Although I had tried to get a better head on the beer in the picture, to mimic Bavarian preferences, before it went away thanks to my mum's confusion about smartphone touchscreens and their workings...

My dad's from Lancashire. That style of glass, with a handle, as opposed to southern "sleeves" or straight glasses, is also a northern thing. I think us southerners are more concerned with the commercial aspects of making sure you get exactly as much beer as you've paid for, to want too much of a head there confusing things.

(And I know I sound a bit flippant, but this is a genuine cultural divide, in several directions, and the amount of beer that's allowed to form a head - and whether there should be a line on the glass so that the head is "above the line", rather than the measure being to the rim - is the subject of serious discussion and even legislation...!)
Old 25 September 2018, 06:58 AM

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
If you can see it, here's a picture of me making a mockery of the culture, traditions and personal identities of Don Enrico's countrymen, albeit only the Bavarians.
Richard, I love that! You nailed the style! This is very much a dress up that quotes Bavarian dress culture without imitating or mocking it. And with the beard, everybody will take you for a local (at least until you open your mouth)!

As for the size of the glass, since you don't bring your own glasses to Oktoberfest, that shouldn't be a problem.

The size of the head, on the other hand... The landlords of the beer-tents of Bavarian festivals are know for producing a head on the beer that makes them able to fill at least 120 litre-glasses from a 100 litre-vat. There even is a "Verein gegen betrügerisches Einschenken" (Society against crooked beer drawing) that aims to control the filling of the glasses at Oktoberfest. This is what a propper "Mass" has to look like:

And this is what they more often than not actually look like:

Although that is still half a litre of beer in those glasses at the front...

By the way: expect prizes of over 9 Euro per glass!
Old 23 October 2018, 09:47 AM

Skull

I needed to take a photo of my pirate costume and my cannon but the light was starting to fade and it looked like it was about to rain so I quickly set everything up, set up my phone on a tripod, lit a sparkler as a fake fuse and then dashed back to my phone to hit the camera timer button, dashed back to the cannon and snatched up my flag and my cutlass and struck a pose. I did this way too many times before I realised that I'd attached the flag to the flag pole upside down.

Old 23 October 2018, 03:31 PM

What will we do with a drunken sailor?
E'rly in the mornin'

Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
E'rly in the mornin'

Put him in charge o the signal locker,
E'rly in the mornin'

Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
E'rly in the mornin'
Old 23 October 2018, 07:17 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I did this way too many times before I realised that I'd attached the flag to the flag pole upside down.
Actually, I think it adds to the charm of the photo. It makes it appear a bit more tongue in cheek.

Love the sparkler. As an artilleryman, I approve.
Old 23 October 2018, 07:30 PM

As an artilleryman, I'd have thought you've have objected based on what would happen if that cannon were to fire with GM's leg still propped up on it. My guess is that the words "peg leg" would feature in any future wanted posters.
Old 23 October 2018, 07:40 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
As an artilleryman, I'd have thought you've have objected based on what would happen if that cannon were to fire with GM's leg still propped up on it. My guess is that the words "peg leg" would feature in any future wanted posters.
By way of excuse, I'll claim I was talking about the sparkler. Can't say I wasn't.

Now that you point it out, it is so dark, I assumed his leg was behind the left one. Peg leg indeed. Good spot!