snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 28 August 2017, 07:43 PM

Glasses

Tootsie, if you quit (presumably for a better job), do you think she would finally retire as she's been threatening to?

Seaboe
Old 28 August 2017, 08:36 PM

She would have to. I'm not exaggerating. But she still hopes to sell the practice.
Old 31 August 2017, 11:37 AM

We don't have a thread for "potentially ominous news" and it might be too specific to support one, but this doesn't really fit into the other headline threads.

WW2 re-enactment 'goes wrong’

When I saw that headline I couldn't help but mentally continue it "... and starts WW3"...

Fortunately it's just about some people who suffered minor injuries when an explosives demonstration went wrong! Phew! (Oddly there are two slightly different versions of the page containing the video, the other with more explanatory text but a different headline, but they're on the same URL and which you see appears to depend on the route you took to the page. So you might not see the same headline, but that's the link text I followed.)
Old 31 August 2017, 03:02 PM

Glasses

I can't find two seasons of my Numb3rs DVDs. I've looked everywhere I could logically expect them to be, and no dice. This means I'm going to have to actually clean the house to find them. Which is probably a good thing, but not something I'm looking forward to.

Seaboe
Old 31 August 2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
We don't have a thread for "potentially ominous news" and it might be too specific to support one, but this doesn't really fit into the other headline threads.

WW2 re-enactment 'goes wrong’

When I saw that headline I couldn't help but mentally continue it "... and starts WW3"...
I was expecting some sort of Stanford Prison Experiment outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I can't find two seasons of my Numb3rs DVDs. I've looked everywhere I could logically expect them to be, and no dice. This means I'm going to have to actually clean the house to find them. Which is probably a good thing, but not something I'm looking forward to.

Seaboe
"Finding a lost thing" is at once very motivating and yet very enmiserating (?) as far as cleaning goes...

My boyfriend lent a friend his "Band of Brothers" DVD box set. Disc 2 got stuck in her laptop which got borked one way or another and he never got it back.
Old 31 August 2017, 05:21 PM

I often find that cleaning the house in order to find something does not result in finding that thing.

However, it does very often result in finding several other things that I'd either given up looking for, or forgotten about entirely.

(It's arguable that I have way too many things. But I've got the broke person's problem: if I get rid of them, then if I do need them later I might not be able to afford to replace them, as I'd almost certainly have to pay considerably more for the replacements than I could manage to get for the discards, if I could get anything at all for the discards.)
Old 31 August 2017, 05:25 PM

I need to clean out my closet and unpack a box of stuff in an attempt to find some missing earrings. I keep my earrings in divided trays that sit on a shelf in my closet, and I dropped one one day.
Old 31 August 2017, 05:50 PM

I have similar results to TLs when cleaning in search of something.

A few years ago, I pretty much gutted and then renovated the entire first floor of my house. In the process I found several things I'd been missing for a while. I also found a few things that I had literally put somewhere 20 years ago and entirely forgot about it.
Old 01 September 2017, 11:52 AM

The last time my parents moved, they found some boxes of things that had not been unpacked from when they had moved INTO that house, about 10 years earlier. My mom was pretty excited to find things she had totally forgotten about.
Old 01 September 2017, 03:29 PM

Glasses

Because of the remodeling I've done, I've pretty much run out of things to find unexpectedly.

As for whether I find the DVDs or not, this is cleaning I need to do, so that I can 1) start sleeping in my own bed again, instead of the guest bed that makes my hip hurt; b) get going again on my costume, which I need to have wearable in less than 8 weeks (not done, just wearable).

I also need to decide when I'm going back to Spokane for Xmas, and whether I'm going to drive or fly. If I fly, I need to rent a car at the other end and arrange for both ASAP. If I drive, I have to decide if I'm going to rent a car like I did last year ($$$).

I've decided I'm not going ANYWHERE for Thanksgiving. I need a vacation without any traveling at all, just me and the dog.

Seaboe
Old 01 September 2017, 05:05 PM

re: Keeping things- My birth control used to come in these little flappy plastic pouches that I guess were designed to fit either into a wallet or into the credit card/business card pockets that are in some purses. I kept them for a while, on the off chance I might find a use for them someday.

Yesterday I was reorganizing a bookshelf, one of those lower-quality ones you assemble yourself, and noticed the bottom shelf was sagging terribly. It attaches on the sides but not on the front or back, so there's just an inch and a half or so of space under it, and I guess I had overwent the weight limit with what I placed on it.

I looked aroudn for something to shove under the shelf just to push it up a little bit, and after trying various rocks from outside and pieces of wood from the garage, looked in my craft drawer and found the birth control pouches. There was a large enough stack of them to fit and at least relieve some of the pressure on the bottom of the shelf It's not ideal and I should get somethign better eventually, but it'll do for now.
Old 02 September 2017, 12:08 AM

I used to take birth control that came in those little pouches too! I saved them for years thinking they'd come in handy, but they never did for me.

In general, I'm loathe to throw away any sort of container--bag, box, bottle, whatever; I'm always sure I'll use it. Sometimes I do, but mostly I don't, and usually when I do I could've found something else to serve the purpose. I really need to clean out my apartment.
Old 02 September 2017, 02:35 PM

My coworker's work quality has been so poor it's been said it's better to not give her anything. Friday she came in with a doctor's note and now she'll be off for three weeks, so now we get to see if it's better without her (in her current state, that is).

And those of us left behind to pick up even more of the slack - a temporary worker started last week and can probably increase he hours. So the current crapload of work should become manageable within a few weeks. At least that's what I'm hoping.
Old 02 September 2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
In general, I'm loathe to throw away any sort of container--bag, box, bottle, whatever; I'm always sure I'll use it. Sometimes I do, but mostly I don't, and usually when I do I could've found something else to serve the purpose. I really need to clean out my apartment.
Me too! I have a big pile of cardboard boxes in my closet, because my brain is convinced that, maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, but one day I will need a cardboard box.
Old 03 September 2017, 04:13 PM

thorny's rules of keeping things, containers or otherwise (possibly a repeat in this forum):

1) If you get rid of it, you'll need it within a year.

2) If you don't get rid of it, you still may need it within a year. You may not be able to find it, however, because it's probably lost somewhere in all that other stuff you kept because you might be going to need it.

-- I find cats both helpful and unhelpful for the keeping-cardboard-boxes impulse (and yes I do keep them, and sometimes I even re-use them.) Cats are unhelpful in this in that if a box is left where they can get at it they will often claim it, thereby providing a reason to continue to leave it in what had been originally intended to be a very temporary spot. However, a box that has been claimed by cats for long enough will eventually deteriorate to the point at which it can be legitimately be recycled as no longer useful.
Old 03 September 2017, 08:18 PM

Icon23

I love pecan sandies. They're my favorite type of cookie. Love 'em. Gimme!

Today, I saw these...

https://www.keebler.com/en_US/cookie...d-cookies.html

OH. MY. GOD.

I think I have a new favorite...
Old 05 September 2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Yesterday I was reorganizing a bookshelf, one of those lower-quality ones you assemble yourself, and noticed the bottom shelf was sagging terribly. It attaches on the sides but not on the front or back, so there's just an inch and a half or so of space under it, and I guess I had overwent the weight limit with what I placed on it.

I looked aroudn for something to shove under the shelf just to push it up a little bit, and after trying various rocks from outside and pieces of wood from the garage, looked in my craft drawer and found the birth control pouches. There was a large enough stack of them to fit and at least relieve some of the pressure on the bottom of the shelf It's not ideal and I should get somethign better eventually, but it'll do for now.
You say the only problem is that Five Little Peppers and How They Grew has become Little Pepper and How He Grew, Little Women is now Little Woman, and Cheaper By The Dozen now reads Buy One Get One Free?
Old 05 September 2017, 03:19 PM

mbravo also had some old VHS tapes on the shelf so she now has episodes of The Brady Pair and a copy of Ours.
Old 05 September 2017, 03:27 PM

Glasses

Over labor day weekend, I-90 over Snoqualmie was supposed to be solid back up all the way. Remembering that on Memorial day weekend it took me 2.5 hours to get over the pass (i.e., the 65 miles from my house to the top of the pass), I called and let the hotel know I'd be very late, and climbed into my truck with my slow-traffic anxious dog, and set out at 3:15 pm.

I pulled into the hotel, 300+ miles later, at 8:45 pm. Five and a half hours. That's only an hour over the speed limit time, and most of that was spent getting down I-5 to I-90.

On Monday, I hit the freeway near the hotel at 6:35 am, and was at my house by 11:15 (4:40), which is definitely speed limit all the way. It was amazing.

The reason, however, is disturbing. I'm pretty sure that traffic was so light because of the fires. The entire state seems to be burning, in patches here & there. You could smell the smoke even in a closed cab, and visibility was practically nil. The overhead signs that normally give warning of road conditions all said "Serious Fire Danger. Secure Tow Chains" which tells me at least some of the grass fires I saw signs of were caused by sparks from tow chains.

Seaboe
Old 05 September 2017, 03:35 PM

It's supposed to be 93F in Kirkland today. And ashy. I hope DD keeps her rescue inhaler handy. And that her cat's OK.
Closed Thread