snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 27 October 2017, 02:46 PM

Default JK Rowling doesn't exist: conspiracy theories the internet can't resist

Quote:
The much anticipated release of new files about the assassination of John F Kennedy have again thrown a spotlight on the conspiracy theories surrounding the US president’s death. And the internet loves nothing more than a conspiracy theory. Here is a selection of controversial claims that the web especially seems to love.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...et-cant-resist

Some good ones that I'd not seen before in there, as well as more familiar ones (I've heard of the "missing time" idea but had forgotten about it). Apparently it's not enough these days to believe that Paul Is Dead; if you go far enough down that road, you discover that the Beatles themselves never existed! (With the qualification, "as they were presented to us").

It's getting quite hard to tell the difference between "real" conspiracy theories and "fake" ones, though. The Beatles site seems to be put up by somebody who genuinely believes this, and has spent far too long looking at pictures of Paul McCartney's ears seemingly without understanding perspective and lighting. But I can't believe the Finland one is anything but a joke.

Here's the list of headings in the article:

Modern flat earth theorists
The Beatles (as you know them) never existed
Finland doesn’t exist
There are no Nasa rovers on Mars
JK Rowling doesn’t exist
A time traveller from the future warned us about Donald Trump in 2000
(This is still John Titor - remember him?)
Phantom time hypothesis
Avril Lavigne died and was replaced by a clone named Melissa

... And, inevitably: Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams
Old 27 October 2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
If you go far enough down that road, you discover that the Beatles themselves never existed! (With the qualification, "as they were presented to us").
[sarcasm]I think they're confusing the Beatles with The Monkees.[/sarcasm]

~Psihala
(*Convinces Paul will be the last Beatle to die because that just seems to be how the universe works.)
Old 27 October 2017, 04:28 PM

I had to do a Google search for "phantom time" as I had not heard of it. I'll quote from Wikipedia article for two reasons:

Quote:
First published in 1991, the hypothesis proposes a conspiracy by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III, Pope Sylvester II, and possibly the Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII, to fabricate the Anno Domini dating system retrospectively, so that it placed them at the special year of AD 1000, and to rewrite history[1] to legitimize Otto's claim to the Holy Roman Empire.
If you are powerful enough and have a widespread enough empire to completely rewrite or destroy all historical texts, you aren't going to need legitimacy.

But mostly I quote for this line:
Quote:
The proposal has found no favour among mainstream medievalists.
Old 27 October 2017, 05:32 PM

Don't forget chem trails and crisis actors. The crisis actors one kind of irritates me. I always wonder if the person that that believes in crisis actors, if they have either been confused for someone else or if they have ever thought one person was someone else.
Old 02 November 2017, 09:49 PM

That looks like something my cousinís boyfriend would write. Pretty much is a conspiracy theory and all those conspiracies are for sure the truth.
But what about chem trails, and false flags, and crisis actors?