snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 16 October 2017, 02:25 AM

Too late...
Old 16 October 2017, 03:54 AM

We just need a good process for catching and freezing them just after molting when they're soft. Even a cicada is soft enough to eat then. Maybe automation can help - the way we sort out burnt potato chips or, uh, grapes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSww5SBqN4
ETA - Man, that stuff is expensive as hell. Feeding the fearless. Rich and fearless

Last edited by ganzfeld; 16 October 2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 16 October 2017, 04:38 AM

Hmm, soft-shell cicada sounds tasty.
Old 16 October 2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Maybe automation can help - the way we sort out burnt potato chips or, uh, grapes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSww5SBqN4
The packhouse I worked at in the mid-90s had an optical colour system for sorting tomatoes into different degrees of ripeness (and size), but it wasn't nearly as impressive as that. I love the way that one can target individual bad grapes with tiny jets of air, literally on the fly, at that speed!

Our one just had the tomatoes on individual traps on a conveyor (several tracks wide) and opened the trap when it detected the right size and colour so that the tomato dropped into the right chute. I still found it pretty impressive back in 1995 though - it took me ages to believe that it really was measuring the colour, as it didn't look like a new machine and that seemed far too high-tech compared with the rest of the operation.

You wouldn't want to work on the tomato machine if you had a bug-phobia either - not because of real bugs, but because the pile of tomato tops that fell off and accumulated at one end of the machine looked, from the corner of your eye, just like an enormous pile of spiders that occasionally rushed across the floor.
Old 16 October 2017, 01:43 PM

Icon86

I don't think I'm going to be fighting my cats over who gets to eat crickets anytime soon.
Old 16 October 2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
We just need a good process for catching and freezing them just after molting when they're soft.
Mealworms are like that, and will molt in large numbers right after they come after hibernation (ie, the refrigerator). But it isnít quite simultaneous, and they harden again quickly, so it would be tricky. There is also the issue of gut loading. An insect straight out of hibernation will shed quickly, but it also needs to eat immediately or itís nutrition content is affected. An animal in rehab will suffer if their feeder insects arenít, in turn, well fed.

Quote:
ETA - Man, that stuff is expensive as hell. Feeding the fearless. Rich and fearless
That was my thought, too. I couldnít afford it as a protein source, even if I wanted to. And some bugs like crickets can cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to shellfish, too, so with one person in my family allergic, weíre out anyway.
Old 16 October 2017, 08:45 PM

Funnily enough a former colleague of mine apparently went to the Fat Duck in Bray recently - I know this because he put photographs and videos of every single course all over Facebook - and one of the taster courses they're doing at the moment is some sort of "forest floor" effect with mushrooms, made up to look as though it's a scoop of earth and moss and bark and leaves. From his video, that was served with mealworms on the side.

So, if 3-star Michelin restaurants that have won "best in the world" several times are doing it...

(I tried to avoid seeing the rest of his videos and pictures, because if I ever end up going there I'd prefer to be surprised. I'd not realised that there was such a thing as "food spoilers" until his posts. And I don't mean the mealworm.)
Old 17 October 2017, 03:34 PM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Eh, it sounds slightly better than the future food Isaac Asimov envisioned in Caves of Steel where everything is synthesized from yeast and real meat and veggies are a luxury reserved for special occasions.
Quote:
Gripe of the future: "I wish we could afford real crickets and mealworms - my family has to make due with the yeasty versions."