snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Legal Affairs

Old 15 February 2014, 01:17 AM

You are correct that some things like seat belts are not always considered a primary offense. (by the way, it is a primary offense in Texas) That is an offense that you can be stopped for because of that specific action. A secondary offense is one that if you are stopped for another reason, say speeding, you can then be cited for that offense.

As to commercial vehicles versus private vehicles, it depends on if the commercial vehicle is engaged in interstate commerce versus intrastate. But getting back to the OP, simply posting "Not for Hire" on your car or motorcycle won't get you out of ticket. Especially if you don't believe in having a drivers license. Or insurance. Or paying your taxes. Or.....
Old 15 February 2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
But getting back to the OP, simply posting "Not for Hire" on your car or motorcycle won't get you out of ticket. Especially if you don't believe in having a drivers license. Or insurance. Or paying your taxes. Or.....
Of course not, at least not in and of itself. You also have to spell your name in all lower case letters with an asterisk and a dollar sign between alternating letters to indicate you are speaking on behalf of the real sovereign y*o$u, not the corporate slave YOU.
Old 15 February 2014, 02:57 AM

LOL! Okay!
Old 15 February 2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
Another example is people who convert school buses to RV's in some states have to mark them 'not for hire'.

I would have thought the bunk beds, ovens, curtains, and lack of seats, would have been enough to let people know.

Interestingly, my mother has (had?) a license to drive a bus, but could not take paying passengers. It was the local youth club bus.
Old 15 February 2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
So while a commercial vehicle may require (for example - I am making this up) a first-aid kit and fire extinguisher, the law may allow for inspection of this particular element.

If I remember correctly, we had to have first aid kits in private vehicles when I lived in Germany and one of the requirements here is Kuwait is that all vehicles must have a fire extinguisher.
Old 15 February 2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
Of course they stopped doing inspections after I left. I failed NJ inspection twice in 3 years: once for malfunctioning daytime running lights, and once because I had a nail in my tire.
Um...we do still have vehicle inspections, so I don't know what that site is talking about. I think a new car doesn't have to be inspected for five years, but it has to be inspected every year after that.
Old 15 February 2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Um...we do still have vehicle inspections, so I don't know what that site is talking about. I think a new car doesn't have to be inspected for five years, but it has to be inspected every year after that.
It's talking about safety inspections. New Jersey only does emissions testing.

From the State of NJ: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Inspe...inspection.pdf
Old 15 February 2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
If you're claiming there's more of a right to walk in the USA than there is to drive, how come you have laws against jaywalking? (Or "crossing the road" as we'd call it here?)
What exactly do you think constitutes jaywalkiing? I manage to cross the road multiple times every workday without falling afoul of the law.
Old 15 February 2014, 05:06 PM

I've been here 27 years, and I still haven't figured out what it means. Best guess is crossing the road except at a designated crosswalk. If that is the case, I can't leave my neighborhood on foot without breaking the law.
Old 15 February 2014, 05:12 PM

Probably depends a little on the jurisdiction, but that's a pretty good definition. Here crosswalks are "marked or unmarked" so a designated crosswalk means any intersection where crossing isn't prohibited (which is very rare). It's also a violation to use a signaled crosswalk against the light. It doesn't seem that complicated to me: cross at corners, and with the light if there is one.
Old 15 February 2014, 05:19 PM

What erwins said. "Designated" does not mean marked. Your right to cross at a given corner doesn't go away because the city fails to paint/repaint the crosswalk there.
Old 15 February 2014, 05:22 PM

How do you know where crossing is and isn't prohibited? I don't think I've ever seen a no crossing sign.

ETA: I might have misunderstood which one you were saying was very rare.

So basically, you can cross the road if there is a junction with another road or a corner? But, for example, I can't cross the quiet street outside my house to visit my neighbor legally? I should walk to the corner, cross there, and walk back?
Old 15 February 2014, 05:24 PM

Prohibitions have to be posted. The lack of prohibition is the default.

ETA: Don't you wish you'd asked us years ago? LOL
Old 15 February 2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
I've been here 27 years, and I still haven't figured out what it means. Best guess is crossing the road except at a designated crosswalk. If that is the case, I can't leave my neighborhood on foot without breaking the law.
Not necessarily 'designated.' Any intersection is a lawful pedestrian crossing, unless otherwise marked; there can also be lawful crossings mid-block but they have to be specifically marked. And Lainie, I think if you checked your local laws, you'd find that if you are crossing mid-block outside a marked crosswalk, you probably are doing so unlawfully. However, jaywalking is almost never enforced UNLESS done dangerously or so as to obstruct traffic - and I think that is generally a sensible view on enforcement.
Old 15 February 2014, 05:41 PM

Wouldn't it be more sensible to just prohibit crossing recklessly, thus allowing sensible adults to cross where they wish?
Old 15 February 2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
NAnd Lainie, I think if you checked your local laws, you'd find that if you are crossing mid-block outside a marked crosswalk, you probably are doing so unlawfully.
Since I'm doing no such thing, I don't need to check local laws.
Old 15 February 2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
So basically, you can cross the road if there is a junction with another road or a corner? But, for example, I can't cross the quiet street outside my house to visit my neighbor legally? I should walk to the corner, cross there, and walk back?
Technically, that might be jaywalking. Which makes me wonder about people whose mailboxes are on the opposite side of the street, who cross every day to get their mail -- I wonder if that's jaywalking, or if those are considered designated crosswalks?

But outside of busy urban streets where it poses a serious risk, jaywalking laws are rarely enfored, IME.
Old 15 February 2014, 05:53 PM

I guess I'm a rebel and I'll never ever be any good.
Old 15 February 2014, 05:57 PM

I see people darting across High Street in downtown Columbus, at rush hour, just yards away from a signaled intersection/crosswalk. I've yet to see one get ticketed.
Old 15 February 2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Technically, that might be jaywalking.
Probably not. From wiki... Following the Uniform Vehicle Code, state codes often do not prohibit a pedestrian to cross a roadway between intersections if at least one of the two adjacent intersections is not controlled by a signal, but stipulate that a pedestrian not at a crosswalk must yield the right of way to approaching drivers.