snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Legal Affairs

Old 17 March 2010, 08:31 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: In Idaho, there's a law that states that it is illegal to give a
box of chocolates weighing less than 50 lbs.
A search of Idaho statues for "chocolate" and/or "chocolates" reveals only a law about cigarettes that might be chocolate flavored.

If it's a city law, I can't find the city listed on any of the multitude of websites that claim there such a law in Idaho.
Old 21 March 2010, 02:26 AM

Blow Your Top

Comment: I heard a rumor that various times in US history, starting in the
Victorian Era that it was illegal (or a statue) prohibiting both male and
female underwear to be hung together on the same clothesline. It was
likely deemed unsightly and scandalous, but illegal? Or a ticketable
offense? That really makes me wonder if it is an urban legend.
Old 21 March 2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Comment: In Idaho, there's a law that states that it is illegal to give a
box of chocolates weighing less than 50 lbs.

Can this be true?
*dreamy sigh* It should be....
Old 04 June 2010, 07:27 PM

Chef

Comment: Is it true?

That Wisconsin cannot serve apple pie without a chunk of cheese? If so,
this is completely stupid. I can't believe I'm actually looking up the
truth to this!
Old 04 June 2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
That Wisconsin cannot serve apple pie without a chunk of cheese?
I've been to Wisconsin on two separate occasions in my life. Neither time did the state serve me apple pie.
Old 04 June 2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Comment: Is it true?

That Wisconsin cannot serve apple pie without a chunk of cheese? If so,
this is completely stupid. I can't believe I'm actually looking up the
truth to this!

That is a common myth here in Wisconsin and is frequently quoted by local news and media outlets even here in Wisconsin, but it is false. Quote from wilawlibrary.gov:

Quote:
It certainly sounds plausible since after all this is the Dairy State, but the answer is no. 1935 Laws of Wis., ch. 106 came close; it required serving a small amount of cheese and butter with meals in restaurants (eff. June 1935 March 1937).
Old 05 June 2010, 12:53 AM

Well the state obviously ran out of cheese on those two occasions (don't ask me how since they are famed for making it - maybe a thriving export trade combined with some sulky cows made the local cheese supply collapse) and so naturally they couldn't serve you apple pie. You actually want the good people of Wisconsin to break the law so you can have apple pie?

Sounds more like a perceived tradition than a law the way the comment is worded. I know some folks who "cannot" (bear to) rather will not, durst not eat a meal of any kind without a slice of buttered bread. It isn't the law but if one was hard of critical thinking and you ate at their house and no-where else here one might come away with a misconception and say "The people of Kent cannot eat a meal without a slice of buttered bread."

Last edited by Eddylizard; 05 June 2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 15 June 2010, 12:00 AM

Before we let our great state legislature off the hook, it is, in actual fact, illegal in Wisconsin for a restaurant to offer margarine as a substitute for butter unless the customer specifically requests it. It gets even worse for you oleomargarinists when you try to poison our kids and felons with that artificial stuff. It is completely forbidden for state institutions, including schools and prisons, to offer margirine as a butter substitute to their wards at all, unless the child or prisoner has a health condition that makes it so they cannot consume butter.
Old 20 June 2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I've recently discovered a bunch of websites saying that it
is illegal to dress as Batman in Australia.
I've never seen a Batman costume that involved wearing black shoe polish on one's face. Maybe these Batman wannabes are from Buffalo and getting serviced by illegal Sunday bootblacks?
Old 20 June 2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermieD View Post
Before we let our great state legislature off the hook, it is, in actual fact, illegal in Wisconsin for a restaurant to offer margarine as a substitute for butter unless the customer specifically requests it. It gets even worse for you oleomargarinists when you try to poison our kids and felons with that artificial stuff. It is completely forbidden for state institutions, including schools and prisons, to offer margirine as a butter substitute to their wards at all, unless the child or prisoner has a health condition that makes it so they cannot consume butter.
Would that not be a "passing off" law though? I know people who use the word "butter" to refer to any spread (hacks me off but there you go).

So if you were offered or asked for butter in a restaurant/cafeteria whatever or it says "butter" on the menu, and got something else then that would be illegal here. I doubt anyone but the pettyest of consumers would sue or go to Trading Standards but the law would be on their side if they did.

Even convicted felons I guess have the right to expect that their food is what it says it is - and are more likely to sue the prison system if it isn't.

It's a bit like dogfish. It was traditionally called by it's other name "Rock Salmon" but someone decided that consumers were getting confused and thinking they were getting the much more expensive and entirely different fish "salmon". So restaurants and fishmongers are now forbidden by law to use the term "rock salmon".

Last edited by Eddylizard; 20 June 2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Would that not be a "passing off" law though? I know people who use the word "butter" to refer to any spread (hacks me off but there you go).

So if you were offered or asked for butter in a restaurant/cafeteria whatever or it says "butter" on the menu, and got something else then that would be illegal here. I doubt anyone but the pettyest of consumers would sue or go to Trading Standards but the law would be on their side if they did.

Even convicted felons I guess have the right to expect that their food is what it says it is - and are more likely to sue the prison system if it isn't.

It's a bit like dogfish. It was traditionally called by it's other name "Rock Salmon" but someone decided that consumers were getting confused and thinking they were getting the much more expensive and entirely different fish "salmon". So restaurants and fishmongers are now forbidden by law to use the term "rock salmon".
There is no mention in the law of false labeling of the subsitution. It specifically states that the substitution is illegal unless specifically asked for in the restaurant case and, in the case of the state instution law, margarine can only be offered in cases where butter causes health hazards to the individual being served (lactose intolerance, for example).

Quote:
97.18(4) The serving of colored oleomargarine or margarine at a
public eating place as a substitute for table butter is prohibited
unless it is ordered by the customer.

97.18(5) The serving of oleomargarine or margarine to students,
patients or inmates of any state institutions as a substitute for table
butter is prohibited, except that such substitution may be ordered
by the institution superintendent when necessary for the health of
a specific patient or inmate, if directed by the physician in charge
of the patient or inmate.
I doubt someone, particularly in Wisconsin, would say "Hey, can you serve me some margarine and just call it butter for me?", nor is there a mention of "The serving of colored oleomargarine or margarine at a public eating place as a substitute for table butter is prohibited unless it is ordered by the customer or properly and clearly labeled as oleomargarine or margarine."
Old 21 June 2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Comment: I was told that there is an old Colorado law that states that if you put your finger in someone's belly button for more than four seconds it is considered rape.
I've never heard of that one, but I have seen one on the dumblaws.com site attributed to Indiana that seems to be of the same 'type':

Quote:
A man over the age of 18 may be arrested for statutory rape if the passenger in his car is not wearing her socks and shoes, and is under the age of 17.
Old 21 June 2010, 06:16 PM

Careful with dumblaws.com. They tend to cite some that never existed (like the slice of cheddar with apple pie law that was referenced earlier).
Old 22 June 2010, 06:27 AM

Judge

Quote:
A man over the age of 18 may be arrested for statutory rape if the passenger in his car is not wearing her socks and shoes, and is under the age of 17.
Quote:
Careful with dumblaws.com. They tend to cite some that never existed (like the slice of cheddar with apple pie law that was referenced earlier).
I presume that dumblaws.com is citing a case here, not a law. A case in which the fact that the passenger wasn't wearing her socks and shoes was an indication (but surely not the only one) that sexual intercourse had taken place earlier, thus proving statutory rape in the eyes of the judge (or jury).

If they didn't make up the whole thing, that is.

Don Enrico
Old 22 June 2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I already knew that. I'm guessing that the Old Colorado law is also made up.
Old 22 June 2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
IA case in which the fact that the passenger wasn't wearing her socks and shoes was an indication (but surely not the only one) that sexual intercourse had taken place earlier, thus proving statutory rape in the eyes of the judge (or jury).
That's an interesting extension and something I never would have thought of.
Old 11 August 2010, 10:15 PM

Driver

Comment: my friend says it is inllegal (in L.A.?) to carry spark plugs
around in your pocket. He says they can or are used to break windshields
easily.
Old 11 August 2010, 11:00 PM

How exactly is a spark plug the ideal windshield breaking tool and something of similar size is not?

Now, if I wanted to carry around a car window breaking tool of small size, I'd got with a automatic center punch.
Old 14 August 2010, 04:34 PM

Strange Sex Laws.

The following are weird sex laws that are or were in place at one time or another. This listing is for entertainment purposes only and those seeking legal advice should contact their state or country representative or a lawyer that is familiar with the state or country's laws.
Sex Toys

In the USA, the FDA does not currently regulate sex toys, so many of them are toxic. Learn which sex toys are safe and which ones are not.
In Florida, having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.
In Tibet, many years ago, the law required all women prostitute themselves. This was seen as a way to gain sexual experience prior to marriage.
"Female breasts," according to the Arizona Supreme Court, don't constitute "private parts" under state law.
The Asiatic Huns punished convicted male rapists and adulterers with castration. Female adulterers were merely cut in two.
The penalty for masturbation in Indonesia is decapitation.
The T'ang Dynasty Empress Wu Hu passed a special law concerning oral sex. She felt that a woman pleasuring a man represented the supremacy of the male over the female. Therefore, she insisted all visiting male dignitaries show their respect by pleasuring her orally when meeting. The empress would throw open her robe and her guest would kneel before her and kiss her genitals.
In London, it's illegal to have sex on a parked motorcycle...

ETA- Rather long list.
Old 14 August 2010, 04:50 PM

I imagine the Florida law prohibits sexual relations with animals in general. Many of these "weird laws" lists aren't so weird if you really see the actual laws.