snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 18 April 2018, 10:29 PM

Hello Kitty Cat Saved After Walking 12 Miles To Family Who Rejected Him

A cat named Toby missed his former owners so much that he walked 12 miles to be with them again. Unfortunately, the North Carolina family didnít repay Tobyís amazing loyalty and tried to have a local shelter euthanize him.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/04/1...amily-adopted/
Old 18 April 2018, 10:47 PM

I'm guessing we are supposed to be outraged and/or incensed at his original family. I don't know if that is correct. They sound pretty responsible to me. First they found another home for him. Then, when that home didn't seem to work out*, they took him to a shelter for the least bad way to end a pet's life.

* Note that the shelter didn't return him to the second family. Not sure why, but if the shelter thought there was a reason the second family wasn't an option, I'm not sure what the first family was supposed to do.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:58 PM

They could have taken him to a no-kill shelter, at least.

Since that's apparently where he wound up, that must have been a possibility.

And, yes, I am sad for the cat who loved people who would rather have had him dead than have had him around. They may have had good reasons to need to rehome him; but that's not the same thing as good reasons to kill him.
Old 19 April 2018, 01:03 AM

We don't know that they could have? None of the stories I could find had the location of the original shelter. Cats and dogs have been transported long distances when their chances of adoption were better in the new location. It is possible that the original shelter was in another state or far from the shelter where Toby ended up.

They may have been out of options for rehoming. Not everyone can take a(nother) cat. If they had no other options for another home, what are they supposed to do?

I'm not saying that they did the best thing or that they did things right. I'm just saying that we shouldn't condemn them when we know basically nothing about their circumstances and what we do know shows they are better than the vast majority of owners found in negative pet stories.
Old 19 April 2018, 01:42 AM

That's not setting the bar very high.
Old 19 April 2018, 02:59 AM

It's possible the story's wrong. But the story doesn't say they took the cat to the shelter and asked them to find another home that he wouldn't get away from. It says they took the cat to a shelter and asked the shelter to kill him.

The people running the shelter obviously didn't think that was the only option, because they didn't do it.
Old 19 April 2018, 09:41 AM

They took a healthy pet to be killed. F**k them.
Old 19 April 2018, 04:34 PM

I have no problem being outraged at the original family, and it starts before the cat did its walk. They had a cat for 7 years, then decided they didn't want it any more. They didn't move, because the cat found them. They just decided they didn't want a cat. The only things that would make that OK for me is if they had a new family member that was severely allergic, or if the cat had started to hurt people in the family. If it was the former, then deciding to have the cat killed when it came back makes no sense. If it was the latter, then I can't see any way this would not be in the story.
These are horrible people. Just because they tried to rehome the cat at first doesn't make them responsible. They lost any claim to that title when they decided that a pet they had agreed to take on and keep forever was inconvenient and they were getting rid of it.
Old 19 April 2018, 06:17 PM

Speaking as the spouse of a woman whose classroom gerbil once had to have $700 worh of emergency surgery, yeah, a pet is an important and binding commitment.
Old 19 April 2018, 06:46 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
They had a cat for 7 years, then decided they didn't want it any more.
The only source you have for that statement is a clearly biased article. I can think of a lot of reasons that would lead to having to get rid of a pet.

Seaboe
Old 19 April 2018, 07:23 PM

I would add to Darth's list that if they were too broke to buy cat food, or their lives had changed so that due to circumstances not reasonably within their control nobody ever had time to pat or play with the cat, or they'd developed a medical condition such that they were unable to take care of the cat, or there was an irreconcilable difference between the cat and another animal in the household (though I'd keep the one who'd been there seven years and rehome a new addition, if that was the problem): I think any of those would also be acceptable reasons for rehoming.

For rehoming; not for killing.
Old 19 April 2018, 07:32 PM

As Seaboe pointed out, the only source for "we want you to euthanize our cat" vs "we have to give up our cat to a shelter that is not a no-kill shelter" is the organization that has been using this story to tear at the heart strings for donations.

And even if the person who posted the story to Facebook is telling it as they know it, the story is at best second hand since the shelter publicizing this is not the one where the family turned in the cat.
Old 19 April 2018, 08:13 PM

Another story I read on this case indicated that the cat was FIV+. While no means an instant death sentence, it is a condition that requires special care and caution if the cat lives with other kitties that don't have FIV. That may be why the request for the euth was made. I don't agree with that decision on the part of the original owners, but it does give some more context. I will see if I can dig that story up.

ETA: Here is the one I read that talks about the FIV:
http://www.wusa9.com/article/news/ca...home/541931930
Old 19 April 2018, 08:27 PM

Welcome back.
Old 19 April 2018, 08:43 PM

From the story Ryda posted:

Quote:
Lamb said they took Toby in on February 27 and learned he was infected with feline immunodeficiency virus
It's not clear to me whether that means that Toby's original family told the shelter he was FIV positive, or whether the shelter ran tests and discovered it.

If the family did know, it's possible that they thought he wouldn't live much longer anyway, and/or that they thought it made him unadoptable, which would indeed put a different light on their request for euthanasia.

But, if they did know, and they thought that it meant he was dying soon and/or unadoptable, why did they first try to rehome him at the place he left to walk back to them from?

-- I suppose he could have contracted the FIV on his trek back, and they could have had him tested for some reason after he got back home and discovered it at that point. But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because they'd have had to take him to a vet. and spend money on him in order to find out about it, but then have been unwilling either to undertake further treatment or to have him euthanized by the vet. who tested him. I suppose it's possible that the vet. refused but they still thought it was the best solution; but it's a bit of a reach.

TL, DR. There seem to be large holes of missing information in both stories.

And, yes: Hi Ryda!
Old 20 April 2018, 02:10 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
But, if they did know, and they thought that it meant he was dying soon and/or unadoptable, why did they first try to rehome him at the place he left to walk back to them from?
Perhaps because they couldn't keep him, and didn't want to kill him. The family's motives are the biggest piece of missing information.

I'm slightly ashamed at how people on this list piled on to condemn the owners when the article was so clearly biased.

Seaboe