snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 August 2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Downloaded a demo of Ghost Protocol Wildlands* the other day and started playing it. I've only played a few missions, but it's fun. Basically you are the head of a small special forces team sent to defeat a drug lord who has effectively taken over Bolivia. Through a series of missions, you assist the local rebels and demolish his empire.

The quick and dirty summation of game play: Far Cry without the repetition and with wicked smaht AI. Especially compared to the Bethesda games like Skyrim and the Fallout series. If you shoot an enemy, he or his buddies don't just search for you a bit and then go back to their ordinary business. No, they mount up a patrol and start a search pattern. If they lose you, they'll call in reinforcements from nearby. I assaulted a base and their response was to call in a mortar barrage, then send out multiple parties to pincer us. Or when I assaulted a convoy, they diverted to another road (in case of ambush I suppose).

* Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, but really.
That sounds intriguing if potentially too difficult for me. I prefer my targets to be fat, dumb and happy.

Especially since I'm playing a devouring swarm in Stellaris at the moment. Getting some zerg in before the Borg show up in the next expansion.
Old 25 August 2017, 06:31 PM

Don't know about other platforms, but the PS4 demo allows you to play for 4 hours before it expires. If nothing else, it shows they have a lot of confidence in the game.
Old 25 August 2017, 08:25 PM

Good to know, GenYUs. I'll give it a go this weekend. Not sure if I'm good enough to play it, but a free four hour demo should let me know.
Old 27 August 2017, 06:37 PM

Update on Ghost Recon Woodlands: I realized why I like it. It is Red Dead Redemltion in 20 minutes into the future Bolivia. Without the flower picking alas.

Last edited by GenYus234; 27 August 2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Not flower licking
Old 27 August 2017, 06:44 PM

But does it have the evil hellcougars?

Tried playing MDK 2 on my laptop. Turns out that the game isn't compatible with an XBox 360 controller so I'm playing Fallout: New Vegas instead. I should really try finding a mod that turns off weapon degradation.
Old 28 August 2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Don't know about other platforms, but the PS4 demo allows you to play for 4 hours before it expires. If nothing else, it shows they have a lot of confidence in the game.
I'm giving the trial a shot on the Xbox One. I'm ridiculously bad at it. I just don't well without powered armor and shields.
Old 28 August 2017, 02:38 PM

No evil wildlife, except of the two-legged variety. Some goats and cattle, but they seem pretty chill.

After some upgrading, you can do three sync shots targets. (For those not playing, you can assign up to three targets to your squadmates. They'll either wait for you to shoot a fourth target or they can kill their targets at a button press. And if you fall, they will resuscitate you once per battle.)
Old 31 August 2017, 05:06 PM

I was also ridiculously bad at it at first, but I fell into a decent groove. I will never be great at it, but I had a good time with the demo. I'll probably get it someday when on sale - ATM, I have way too many games to play.
So, a few new VR games have been played. Overkill VR is great, if you like FPS. Graphics are really good, the cover system works well, although I got into it enough that I tried leaning against cover one time and quickly remembered that it wasn't actually there.
Galaxy Golf is an interesting puzzle game, but it has pretty much nothing to do with golf. Yes, the goal is to get a golf ball in a hole, but it is done on various asteroids/planets. You don't swing a club; instead, you shoot the ball in a manner similar to Angry Birds. If they sold it as a puzzle game, I would probably like it, but the fact that they are selling it as golf turned me off of it.
Old 09 September 2017, 11:38 AM

Based on this Guardian article about The 27 funniest video games of all time I decided to get Lego City Undercover as a bit of fun. It was more expensive than I expected, given it's not a new game and I got it second-hand. It must be popular...

I would have probably got it before if I'd realised it was a proper game and a sort of GTA parody (well, almost), but I had the idea it was just an open-world building simulator. Anyway, if you like the Lego games, it's good. As a game, I think the open world part works better than the largely empty open parts of some of the Batman and Tolkien Lego games, and it's got more traditional level maps for some of the internal chapters.

It is indeed quite funny and full of silly jokes, too. As an example of one of my favourites so far, you're in a mine and one of the miners says "I'd thought we were allowed to choose whatever tool we liked from the equipment shed, but my supervisor specifically told me to take my pick"... If that's your sense of humour, you'll enjoy it.

(eta) And I've just realised that despite being released on the Wii U back in 2013, it's only recently been remade for XBox One. So I must have been thinking of a different game when I'd considered it in the past. That explains why it's still expensive second-hand anyway. Also, it's set up as though it's a sequel, with your character returning from supposed disgrace from a previous mission, but I think that must be a story-telling device and the prequel doesn't exist. It works as a hook for jokes, though.

Before that, I've played Dark Souls II to the point where I need to get into Drangleic Castle to progress (three out of four of the "great souls" captured), but haven't worked out how to open the door yet, after a couple of quick attempts. One of the statues outside started glowing at one point, and I think it might have moved to grip the sort of turnstile thing, but I don't know what I did to cause that.

I find the game encourages grinding as a strategy even if it's not "deliberate" grinding. It's just that clearing out the corridors that lead to the boss battles, both so that you can get to the boss battles at full strength, and so that you don't lose many souls when you die in them (and don't have to worry about retrieving the bloodstain as the first thing you do), has the side-effect of maximising your character's power as you spend all the souls on upgrades. I haven't been grinding all the side areas so much this time round, but I've still found it hugely easier than my first attempt. I've defeated a couple of the bosses on my first try! And even the hardest recent ones haven't taken more than four or five attempts. Still, I'm putting it aside for a break for now.

I played Stardew Valley to the point of diminishing returns, but still have a few goals left and achievements I should be able to get. It's a good game for completists... I've restored the community centre, I've only got one sort of produce item left to send - based on a tip on the in-game TV show, I think it's a sort of seasonal foraging berry that I've somehow missed in previous seasons. I've caught all but four fish, but will probably end up looking up where and when you can catch those, as it takes ages to systematically try all the combinations of time, place, season and weather, and I think I've tried them all on a casual basis anyway. (I have all the legendary fish and all the ones you need to restore the community centre). I'm working on the friendship-related achievements, and I've still got to propose to my girlfriend (or dump her and choose a different one) and have children. And there are secret achievements that I have some ideas about, without looking them up. There's one achievement that I can't complete without starting a new game, because it seems it's incompatible with the community centre restoration. Fortunately I'd realised this and not started it.
Old 13 September 2017, 03:37 PM

My newest VR game is Thrill of the Fight. A straight forward boxing game in VR.
The graphics are good in the fight, pretty minimal elsewhere, but that's OK. You set your punch power multiplier, since they don't figure most people are going to actually have punching power worthy of a boxing match. It has you punch at a bag a few times to recommend the correct balance range. Then you get a sparring match to teach you the game, and then onward to a fighting career.
First thing to note is that I am not in anything remotely close to good enough shape to box. One round, OK. Kept my guard up, was able to move a bit, throw some good punches. Round two, I was getting tagged a bit more often (if they get a solid hit, the screen flashes white and your vision blurs for a bit). I was mostly able to keep my guard up, and I made it through the round. Really, really grateful for the one minute break between rounds. Final round, I found out you could clinch, and boy, did I need it. The ref starts to get annoyed, but it kept me going. I also started to use a lot more of the room, dancing back out of the way. My opponent over extended himself reaching for me, and I was able to get in, get a few shots off, and get a KO. I highly doubt I would have made it through another round, as I pretty much put everything I had into that last flurry.
So, great, exhausting game. If you have VR and are looking for something fun that will give a quick, hard workout, this is the one. Audioshield and Space Pirate Trainer are still in my exercise rotation, but they definitely are not anywhere close to as intense.