snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 01 August 2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
thorny locust gets a pass since they're not a fan, but you do not.
I don't get it. SQ: Is it unacceptable to abbreviate Dr when it's the name of that show?
Old 01 August 2017, 03:06 PM

It is more an oddity, like referring to the band "Mr Mr". Some Doctor Who fans get quite rabid about the fact that Doctor is a name, not a title, so (s)he is never referred to in print as "Dr", only Doctor. The show name is the question, not the name, so it is more like seeing the phrase "If symptoms persist, see your dr.".

ETA: tldr; meant to be friendly ribbing, not actual criticism.

Last edited by GenYus234; 01 August 2017 at 03:09 PM. Reason: clarity and add eta
Old 01 August 2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
thorny locust gets a pass since they're not a fan
Thanks!

I may or may not remember that in that context Doctor is a name, not a title. But thanks also for the info.

(Out of curiosity: is there an explanation somewhere in canon for that being a name? ETA: especially since I do see references to "the Doctor". But maybe they're from other clueless people.)
Old 01 August 2017, 04:32 PM

I'm mostly familiar with the new run of shows, not the original, so I might be missing some things.

Time Lords don't give out their "true names" except under very special circumstances*. So they choose a "use name" to use with most everyone. He chose "The Doctor" as a promise of the kind of person he would be.

* One time, the fact that a (to him) complete stranger knows his true name makes The Doctor instantly trust her and makes him realize that they'd had a deep relationship.
Old 01 August 2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I'm mostly familiar with the new run of shows, not the original, so I might be missing some things.

Time Lords don't give out their "true names" except under very special circumstances*. So they choose a "use name" to use with most everyone. He chose "The Doctor" as a promise of the kind of person he would be.

* One time, the fact that a (to him) complete stranger knows his true name makes The Doctor instantly trust her and makes him realize that they'd had a deep relationship.
From the mouth of the Moffat:
Quote:
Look, if weíre going to take continuity seriously (and anyone who even reads this surely must) then his name IS Doctor Who.
Sorry, but yes it is. Put down that chair. Itís an actual canonical fact. He was called Doctor Who on screen, in the proper BBC show. Itís mentioned, twice, in the William Hartnell story The War Machines. The Mighty Hartnell himself performed the script without complaint and no character on screen is surprised by the name or disputes it. Doctor Who Ė thatís his name.
Link to Radio Times

It's one of those discussions of all time.
Old 01 August 2017, 05:05 PM

I only just watched the final episode of this past season a few days ago. Already having the knowledge that the next Doctor is going to be a woman, it was pretty obvious that they were setting up the idea of a female Doctor, what with him talking about how Missy was male during their childhoods, and how Time Lords had evolved beyond the human concept of gender roles. And I see there was some speculation about a woman Doctor in the "What new shows are you watching" thread (I'd been avoiding that thread as to avoid spoilers) even before the announcement.
Old 01 August 2017, 07:10 PM

Yeah WildaBeast, I watched that episode the day they announced the next Doctor would be a Time Lordette, and it was pretty clear they were setting it up in the episode. It should be interesting, but I am very sad to see The Master change, as Ms. Gomez was great in the role.
Old 02 August 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Sadly I can see some of those points as well. Certainly in the library world with regard to children's and teen fiction it's a bit of a truism that girls will read books with male leads while boys will avoid books with girl leads even if those books aren't "girlie" . There are exceptions to this of course.
But not as many as I'd like. Anyway hopefully this wouldn't apply to something aimed at an adult audience but I suspect that it does. Well time will tell.
Yeah there is a reason J. K. Rowling is the author of the Harry Potter books and Joanne Kathleen Rowling. And since we are talking authors rather then leads, I had an uncle who didn't like book written by women, completely unaware one of his favourite authors was actually a woman. Seriously they set themselves up for ridicule.
Old 02 August 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Yeah there is a reason J. K. Rowling is the author of the Harry Potter books and Joanne Kathleen Rowling. And since we are talking authors rather then leads, I had an uncle who didn't like book written by women, completely unaware one of his favourite authors was actually a woman. Seriously they set themselves up for ridicule.
I had an elderly patron when I last worked in a public library who didn't realize J D Robb was a woman. I don't know if this is obvious info to anyone who picks up one of her books or not but it wasn't obvious to him. Anyway she was his go to author for ages until he either read a back cover or someone broke the news to him that J D Robb is a pseudonym for Nora Roberts. Wouldn't read another book by her after that.
Old 02 August 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Sorry that should be Not Joanne Kathleen Rowling.
Old 02 August 2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I had an elderly patron when I last worked in a public library who didn't realize J D Robb was a woman. I don't know if this is obvious info to anyone who picks up one of her books or not but it wasn't obvious to him. Anyway she was his go to author for ages until he either read a back cover or someone broke the news to him that J D Robb is a pseudonym for Nora Roberts. Wouldn't read another book by her after that.
Imagine having a mind so closed a flame extinguishes in seconds...