snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 14 July 2017, 12:18 AM

Airplane Jet engine blast kills tourist on Caribbean beach

A New Zealand tourist has been killed by the blast from a jetliner taking off at a seaside airport in the Dutch Caribbean territory of St. Maarten, officials said Thursday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jet-blas...st-maho-beach/
Old 14 July 2017, 01:59 AM

I was wondering when that was going to happen. Iffen I remember my videos right, there's a concrete jersey style barrier on the other side of the road from that fence that everyone hangs onto.

I'm guessing they'll rethink that barrier after this.
Old 14 July 2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
I'm guessing they'll rethink that barrier after this.
I'm guessing they'll rethink allowing anyone there in the first place.
Old 14 July 2017, 11:04 AM

Airplane

Why isn't there a jet blast deflector?
Old 14 July 2017, 02:17 PM

I'm guessing the aviation authorities won't permit placing a jet blast deflector in the flight path of an active runway, especially when it seems there is limited room to begin with. A plane making a low approach or trying to make the runway in an emergency situation could strike the deflector when they might otherwise have landed safely.

ETA: If you watch the main video, at 2:08, you can see how low the planes can get to the runway. Now imagine doing that with a 20 foot heavy steel barrier at the end of the runway.

ETA2: I'm not even sure there is room even without the safety factor. If you watch this video, (0:40) you can see that the engines of a 747 barely clear the fence as it is. What they should do is close off that beach entirely.

Last edited by GenYus234; 14 July 2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 14 July 2017, 02:23 PM

Glasses

So, basically, she got killed doing something she'd been told not to do. Once again proving adrenaline junkies have no sense.

Seaboe
Old 15 July 2017, 12:55 AM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Once again proving adrenaline junkies have no sense.
It's almost like running with the bulls, if you'd had to ride into the place on one of the bulls in the first place... so therefore, shouldn't they ban the aircraft and make people get there by boat?
Old 17 July 2017, 02:20 PM

Glasses

Okay, I have no clue what you're talking about, Richard W.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2017, 03:56 PM

I was drawing an analogy - adrenaline junkies also like running with the bulls, which is also a silly idea. But the way to stop people getting killed in bull-running isn't to keep running the bulls but shut people away; it would make more sense to stop running the bulls, then the tourists wouldn't be able to get hurt by them even if they did all run down the middle of the road.

Which would be equivalent to banning the aircraft, rather than trying to stop people from standing by the fence. And if you did that, the tourists would need another way to get to the island. Since I was drunk (hence the icon) it may not have made as much sense as I intended.
Old 17 July 2017, 04:05 PM

The whole point of the running of the bulls is the running of the bulls. The point of aircraft landing at that airport is not the braving of the jetblast.
Old 17 July 2017, 07:25 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
But the way to stop people getting killed in bull-running isn't to keep running the bulls but shut people away; it would make more sense to stop running the bulls, then the tourists wouldn't be able to get hurt by them even if they did all run down the middle of the road.
I'd wager a fare number of people would get trampled by other people without the bulls. So people wouldn't technically be killed by "bull running," true, but there would be deaths all the same. But who would travel all that way just to run with other people? Black Friday comes every year!