snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 24 June 2017, 03:00 PM

Mouse Mouse killed man by crawling down his throat?

I found this in Uncle John's Canoramic Bathroom Reader, in an article about strenge deaths.

Quote:
At a London factory in 1875, a mouse caused a panic when it ran across a table. A female worker screamed; a man rushed in and tried to catch the mouse but couldn't hold on to it. The rodent ran up his arm and darted into the only hole it could find: the man's open mouth. According to the Manchester Evening News, "The mouse began to tear and bite inside his throat and chest, and the result was that the unfortunate fellow died after a little time in horrible agony."
This story seems a little suspect to me: mice generally try to avoid running inside a larger creature's mouth, and how would it force its way down the man's throat without triggering his gag reflex? The lack of names makes me even more skeptical.
Old 24 June 2017, 03:25 PM

Sounds like a variation of the [whatever culture] using rats to torture people by placing the rat under a pan on the person's chest and heating the pan.

I can't imagine a mouse actually behaving in such a way- the smell and feeling of the man's breath would signal that the mouth wasn't a safe place. In reality, a panicking mouse wouldn't climb into someone's mouth, it would run around the side of their head and try to find some other place to flee to.
Old 24 June 2017, 05:21 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Tabby View Post
I found this in Uncle John's Canoramic Bathroom Reader, in an article about strenge deaths.

This story seems a little suspect to me: mice generally try to avoid running inside a larger creature's mouth, and how would it force its way down the man's throat without triggering his gag reflex? The lack of names makes me even more skeptical.

I looked at The Manchester Evening News website and found this item (you may have to answer some survey questions to view it):

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....-being-6453511

Quote:
As he gasped in surprise, the little critter darted into his mouth and he swallowed it.
My bold. It says he swallowed it but he may well have inhaled it as he 'gasped' - a mouse is certainly small enough to swallow whole. So no forcing its way down his throat.
Old 24 June 2017, 07:54 PM

It would be far from the first time that a newspaper published a UL. That version has the same telltales that it is a UL. All the details are generic. It takes place at "a factory," where a "worker" sees a mouse, and a "gallant fellow" comes to her rescue.

As an added bonus, the site is also riddled with click bait, and they refer to the possibility of the UL going viral.

NB: It being a UL doesn't prove that it never happened. Some real events get turned into ULs. But I have doubts about it happening as told.
Old 24 June 2017, 10:55 PM

Mouse, behave yourself!

-- not to mention that this thread was started by Tabby . . .
Old 26 June 2017, 02:17 PM

Glasses

Uncle John's will publish anything and call it non-fiction. As far as I can tell, they do no fact checking whatsoever, and they give no sources. Just assume nothing you find in there is actually true.

P.S., I read the headline as Mouse killed by man crawling down his throat at first, which was enough to make me look twice.

Seaboe