snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 03 October 2007, 09:25 PM

Icon22 Fetus autopsy?

Please forgive me if this was addressed and no longer searchable; I did search. I was looking up "balut" on YouTube (yeah, I'm on another message board where talk turned to the most disgusting thing people had eaten) and came across this weirdness. Disturbing, NSFW, and also nary an explanation along with it and just one or two comments.

Any explanations? Art? Or just another sicko posting an autopsy online or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJHMG...elated&search=

ETA: I did finally notice there was a title, "desarrollo feto", which translated on babelfish to "fetal development", maybe just a teaching tool, maybe I have too much time on my hands, the end.
Old 04 October 2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmad View Post
Please forgive me if this was addressed and no longer searchable; I did search. I was looking up "balut" on YouTube (yeah, I'm on another message board where talk turned to the most disgusting thing people had eaten) and came across this weirdness. Disturbing, NSFW, and also nary an explanation along with it and just one or two comments.

Any explanations? Art? Or just another sicko posting an autopsy online or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJHMG...elated&search=

ETA: I did finally notice there was a title, "desarrollo feto", which translated on babelfish to "fetal development", maybe just a teaching tool, maybe I have too much time on my hands, the end.
There were some banned "autopsy of an aborted fetus" things going around - this is probably what it what referring to.
I'm assuming this kid was miscarried or stillborn. It looked fully formed but I didn't pay attention to sizes.
Old 04 October 2007, 01:32 AM

My immediate thought was that it looked fake somehow, but then I remembered that I've never seen a dead body, let alone a dead foetus, so I don't know what one ought to look like. The things I took as a 'plastic-y' effect might be perfectly normal. I used to seeing people less grey.
Old 04 October 2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
My immediate thought was that it looked fake somehow, but then I remembered that I've never seen a dead body, let alone a dead foetus, so I don't know what one ought to look like. The things I took as a 'plastic-y' effect might be perfectly normal. I used to seeing people less grey.
I was thinking the fetus looks very... preserved, like it's a specimen used for teaching. It definitely doesn't look 'fresh', for lack of a better word, I'm thinking this clip is probably part of a video used for teaching.
Old 04 October 2007, 02:11 AM
Bug Lovin'

I think the "plastic" effect is probably from rigor mortis. Sad to say, my sister had a stillborn that she gave birth to almost 24 hours after the baby had died, and there wasn't any gray color to her baby. Maybe being wrapped up in some way before rigor mortis set in caused the baby in the video to look waxy and plastic. Anyway, the flesh color (instead of gray) is normal.
Old 04 October 2007, 02:20 AM
Trixie Tang

I don't see why anyone would assume it's fake. Stillborn babies and feti are given autopsies too. Even unidentifiable tissue from miscarriages are tested on a regular basis. It's important to pin down the cause of death as it relates to possible future pregnancies.
Old 04 October 2007, 02:03 PM

I vote real. I've seen enough dead people (though, admittedly, no infants/fetuses) that it looks real. I agree that it is either a teaching tool or a video documentation of an actual procedure.

ETA: People do often get a waxy look.
Old 04 October 2007, 02:19 PM

Trixie Tang is correct that even miscarriages are sometimes examined for cause of death. My second, and last chance for ever having another child, was caused by trisomy ... a third complete set of chromosomes. The test results stated that "neonatal death was universal" ... that even if I had carried to full term and delivered and somehow the baby would have survived, it would have died almost immediately after being born.

Sad things do happen to even the most innocent.
Old 05 October 2007, 10:48 AM
Neffti

Sorry to hear of your experiences, obxbaby24. I can empathise.

I think this looks like a term or near-term baby that died in utero. It looks still curled into the shape in which it gestated, so may have been delivered by c-section. It also has the wrinkly look of a baby that has been floating in amniotic fluid. Live new-borns have this, too, and can be born in a variety of hues, but they turn various shades shortly after birth as their bodies become accustomed to monitoring their own circulation without assistance from the placenta, and the pumping blood helps them to gain a better colour and dewrinkle somewhat.

I vote real.
Old 05 October 2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neffti View Post

I think this looks like a term or near-term baby that died in utero. It looks still curled into the shape in which it gestated, so may have been delivered by c-section. It also has the wrinkly look of a baby that has been floating in amniotic fluid. Live new-borns have this, too, and can be born in a variety of hues, but they turn various shades shortly after birth as their bodies become accustomed to monitoring their own circulation without assistance from the placenta, and the pumping blood helps them to gain a better colour and dewrinkle somewhat.

I vote real.

I vote real too. I've seen a few that have come in here that have died in utero, though I have only seen one that was curled up when it came in. But the body in the video looks right for a deceased baby or the parts I saw before having to turn it off. I really do not like seeing little tiny bodies here, its heartbreaking.
Old 05 October 2007, 08:08 PM

I don't doubt it's real but why is it assumed that it's an autopsy and not just what it suggests- possibly a study concerning fetal development?

I'd think if someone was going to post an actual autopsy we'd be seeing more than just measurments.
Old 05 October 2007, 08:31 PM

Icon104

It looks like a teaching video about neonatal development. The fetus looks like a stillbirth or a baby that died soon after birth. It does look preserved - I'm assuming it's used to show full term development and measurements.

Sister "and I didn't find it creepy at all" Ray
Old 05 October 2007, 08:38 PM

Poor baby, it had a sweet face. Whatever caused its death, I hope it went without any pain.
Old 07 October 2007, 01:36 AM
GrUvGrL

i too vote real... and clip is probably used as a teaching tool. Not sure that anyone would take the footage for the purpose of posting on you tube... then again, there ARE some strange people out there.