snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 13 November 2016, 06:55 PM

Default Yale professor: My students arenít snowflakes, and they donít melt

Some media reports suggested that liberal faculty on left-leaning campuses were coddling grief-stricken students who had voted for Clinton, by scrapping exams and other required assignments in the days after the election. Here, a Yale University economics professor rebuts that notion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d=ss_fb-bottom
Old 13 November 2016, 09:20 PM

In a world where the front page of the National Enquirer is now considered the go to place for hard news (sigh) the story of the time special snowflakes couldn't write an exam on the day after the election will make the rounds for years. Let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story .
Old 13 November 2016, 09:27 PM

It seems like an odd time to have exams anyway. Would any university have exams mid way though November?
Old 13 November 2016, 09:38 PM

Maybe this is a difference between US and UK universities, but exams can come anytime here, and as often or as rarely as the professor wants. Or maybe some departments or universities have their own rules, but an exam in mid-November doesn't strike me as weird. Is it different in the UK? (Although when he says "second midterm exam" it sounds a little weird to me. I've never had more than one midterm per class.)
Old 13 November 2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twankydillo View Post
It seems like an odd time to have exams anyway. Would any university have exams mid way though November?
Depends on the university's schedule. When I was in college, we were on quarters (three quarters made up an academic year, but you could take extra courses in the summer term if you wanted).

Our fall quarter started in late August or early September and ended before the week of US Thanksgiving, which falls on the last Thursday in November. Then we had about a six-week winter break before starting winter quarter in January.

So, yes, we took exams in mid-November.
Old 15 November 2016, 12:36 AM

Not what you meant obviously but in Australia the academic year runs the end of January to Mid December. So while I am not sure that there would be any exams quite this early they certainly would be starting the end of year round up. At both schools and at universities

We also had mid semester exams while I was at uni.
Old 15 November 2016, 10:26 AM

Actually I have been talking to certain people today and there are defiantly exam going on now.