snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 23 October 2009, 06:51 PM

Icon81 Halloween Candy: Best and Worst

Quote:
Snopes.com, a Web site that debunks urban legends, has a well-annotated article entitled Halloween Poisonings in which the author finds no evidence of their ever having been a “genuine Halloween poisoning” — one in which a child randomly has been given a cyanide-laced candy or razor-embedded apple while going trick-or-treating.
http://thefastertimes.com/eating101/...lloween-candy/
Old 23 October 2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
A surprising number of people have written their definitive list of the top ten Halloween candies — such as here and here — but it’s mostly on the Web, so it can’t be trusted.
Wait.
Quote:
Snopes.com, a Web site that debunks urban legends, has a well-annotated article entitled Halloween Poisonings in which the author finds no evidence of their ever having been a “genuine Halloween poisoning” — one in which a child randomly has been given a cyanide-laced candy or razor-embedded apple while going trick-or-treating.
What is it they're really saying here?
Old 23 October 2009, 08:17 PM

No essay on Halloween candy, good, bad, or ugly, can have any credibility with me unless it includes a well deserved rant on those nasty horrible peanut butter things that taste like the waxy faded orange and black wrappers they come in.

Worst candy of all time. Why the hell do people buy that crap? Do they really think anyone likes it, or do they just hate trick or treaters?
Old 23 October 2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragonfly View Post
Worst candy of all time.
Circus Peanuts are a crime against humanity. Punishment must be swift and severe.
Old 23 October 2009, 08:30 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
No essay on Halloween candy, good, bad, or ugly, can have any credibility with me unless it includes a well deserved rant on those nasty horrible peanut butter things that taste like the waxy faded orange and black wrappers they come in.

Worst candy of all time. Why the hell do people buy that crap? Do they really think anyone likes it, or do they just hate trick or treaters?
Yes, I entirely agree. I think people buy them because they are cheap. But you know what's cheaper? Turning your light off so kids don't come all the way up the walk for confectionery abuse.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensible Crier View Post
Circus Peanuts are a crime against humanity. Punishment must be swift and severe.
Circus Peanuts are not a food product. They are a craft supply.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:10 PM

Dare I say candy corn is nasty? I am referring to the thread where the homemade recipe was linked to.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:53 PM

Fright

Quote:

Don't tell me those things are still made?! Either that or they all date from my own trick or treating days (1970s) and they were pulled out of the trash cans I threw them into, rebagged, and sold in dollar stores all across America.

Dawn--hate hate hate Bit O' Honeys too--Storm
Old 23 October 2009, 10:16 PM

I give out full size Hershey bars. It's fun to watch the little ones' faces when they see a full size candy bar go into their bag.

Plus, my house is never egged.
Old 23 October 2009, 10:57 PM

I hate candy corn too. My favorite is Reeses and Snickers. And I eat my kids' candy because I'm a nice mommy and I don't want them to get cavities Except for the candy corn that is. Daddy can have that.
Old 23 October 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettie Page Turner View Post
I give out full size Hershey bars. It's fun to watch the little ones' faces when they see a full size candy bar go into their bag.

You win Halloween.

*bows*
Old 23 October 2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Yes, I entirely agree. I think people buy them because they are cheap. But you know what's cheaper? Turning your light off so kids don't come all the way up the walk for confectionery abuse.

I know, right? I'd rather just skip that house and get to someplace like Betty Page Turner's before she runs out.

Comment number five on this site is hilarious.
http://www.typetive.com/candyblog/it...butter_kisses/
Old 24 October 2009, 12:48 AM

The worst Halloween candy? Smarties. Ugh. They bear an uncanny resemblence to children's chewable medicine. I always traded those And of course, candy corn. Are there people who actually like candy corn out there?

Just put the Milky Way in the pumpkin and no one will get hurt
Old 24 October 2009, 12:55 AM

Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Squirrel View Post
The worst Halloween candy? Smarties. Ugh. They bear an uncanny resemblence to children's chewable medicine. I always traded those And of course, candy corn. Are there people who actually like candy corn out there?

Just put the Milky Way in the pumpkin and no one will get hurt
I like Smarties and candy corn.

Can I have yours?

I agree with everyone about the circus peanuts and the peanut butter taffy things. G-ross!
Old 24 October 2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBean View Post
\

Can I have yours?
Take 'em! Take all of them!
Old 24 October 2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I like Smarties and candy corn.
Can I have yours?
Trading, the real end point to Halloween. Oh, and you can keep the candy corn.

Circus peanuts? Do they make them stale? Has anyone ever tasted a fresh one?

Ali "give me the Nestle Crunch and your windows are safe" Infree
Old 24 October 2009, 02:44 AM

You'll have my Smarties (the American kind) when you pry them from my cold, dead hands. They're one of the few types of candy I eat.

I used to like candy corn until I was around ten years old and found some left over from a previous Halloween. It hadn't aged. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of not being able to tell how old a piece of food was before I ate it. I hate Tootsie Rolls partly because my mother insists on using that name to describe cat droppings. Plus, they taste like brown slime. And I won't eat Blow-Pops because I hate gum; I don't like anything sour or tangy; and Starbursts taste like eating wax.

I've always been very picky when it comes to candy, and received weird looks from classmates and teachers when I refused candy or gave it away.
Old 24 October 2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettie Page Turner View Post

Quote:
You win Halloween.

*bows*
I LOVE giving out candy and seeing the kids in their costumes. In fairness, I must say that I give out the full size bars because we only get about 25 or so kids. I can afford 25 bars. The first year my parents were married, they counted almost 500 trick-or-treaters. My dad went out twice to buy more candy!
Old 24 October 2009, 03:47 AM

One year at uni there were a few American students in the class and one had received a care package from her family for Halloween, which included candy corn and she shared it with the class. It was the most vile thing I had ever tasted, it reminded me of marzipan in texture. That was also when I first tried peanut butter cups, and although I am not a huge fan of peanut butter I like those, although I must say the chocolate you guys get is so very different from what I was used to (Cadbury's mostly)
Old 24 October 2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensible Crier View Post
I love both of those I'll admit that both are best when fresh and I'll happily squeeze circus peanuts to make sure they aren't rock hard.