snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 14 September 2017, 05:38 PM

TV Suppose you were in charge of programming for a TV station

How would you design it? Your assignment: choose a TV channel and come up with programming that is intelligent or thoughtful. Something other than a realty show. For instance, I would love to be in charge of ID Discovery. My shows would be series that dealt with the bios of lawmen such as Elliott Ness, J.Edgar Hoover et al. I'd also have a show that explored forensics--how and when did it start? What mental issues are common to certain types of criminals? I'd also have a series that dealt with issues like capital punishment, parole etc.
You get the picture. Heavy on serious shows, light on the brain candy. And of course, I'd have NO viewers whatsoever.

If you could, what channel would you take over? What kind of programming would you have?
Old 14 September 2017, 08:50 PM

I think UHF is the gold standard for guidance in such matters.
Old 14 September 2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
Wheel....of.....Fish!

I don't know about a whole station, but I've often thought I'd like to see a time slot dedicated to TV series that did not run long enough for regular syndication. A few that spring to mind (which will date me, but I did the bulk of my TV viewing in the seventies) include some short-lived science fiction series (Fantastic Journey, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, Quark, a few shows that I thought were good but were killed by their time slot (Paper Moon), some summer replacement series and other variety shows...I'm sure there are a lot more.

Something I've felt the lack of recently would be a news show that was just news -- say, 30 minutes of just telling me what happened today, with no analysis, no pundits, no pro- and con-, no "debates." There are places for all of that, of course, but I've been staying away from news shows lately because so much of it is just yapping about the news rather than saying what it is.
Old 14 September 2017, 09:22 PM

I would make a TV network dedicated to translating books to TV as accurately as possible. Obviously, there are some things that can't be done exactly, but we would be dedicated to getting as close as can be. I would clearly have to start with books that are public domain, but there are a lot so that's not that big of a deal.
Old 14 September 2017, 09:26 PM

CoC beat me to what I was going to say.

But since E.Q. Taft brought it up... I actually played a version of "wheel of fish" in Norway. Our guide made a wheel out of a paper plate with a different fish written in each segment. You had to eat the fish you landed on. Most were ordinary ones like canned tuna, salmon, etc. But then there was the surströmming*. I had to eat the surströmming . To give you an idea, I found that link by Googling "stinky Swedish fish". All the results were about surströmming. The taste was really just extremely salty, but I just couldn't get past the smell.

*Which is really more Swedish than Norwegian; I think she got it in Sweden before coming to Norway.
Old 14 September 2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I would make a TV network dedicated to translating books to TV as accurately as possible. Obviously, there are some things that can't be done exactly, but we would be dedicated to getting as close as can be. I would clearly have to start with books that are public domain, but there are a lot so that's not that big of a deal.
When I was just old enough to begin flipping channels, I saw Book TV on C-SPAN and was THRILLED! I thought it was exactly as you described. I demanded to know why my mom hadn't previously exposed me to this wonderful mixture of my favorite medium with my second-favorite medium.

Then I turned it on and...

My mom said "not quite what you expected, huh?"
Old 14 September 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Something I've felt the lack of recently would be a news show that was just news -- say, 30 minutes of just telling me what happened today, with no analysis, no pundits, no pro- and con-, no "debates."
Can we start there, but add on? 30 minutes every two or three hours spent giving a short rundown of each of the most important stories for that area. Another 30 minutes giving a short rundown of things going on elsewhere. And the rest of the time spent going into specific stories in detail, 30 minutes to an hour on each one -- with which ones are chosen for this being selected, at least half, by random drawing, rather than by the specific newscaster's idea of what's important. Come to think of it, ten minutes out of each of the 30 minute segments should be selected the same way.

The only problem is, when would I get anything else done?
Old 15 September 2017, 02:12 AM

Mouse

I'd start a channel for good shows cancelled way too early or just overall, screwed over by the networks. Hopefully this would help them gain the audience they deserve, but if nothing else, I'd have more people to join me in wailing about how Megas XLR and pretty much the entire oeuvre of Greg Weisman had limitless possibilities.
Old 15 September 2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I don't know about a whole station, but I've often thought I'd like to see a time slot dedicated to TV series that did not run long enough for regular syndication. A few that spring to mind (which will date me, but I did the bulk of my TV viewing in the seventies) include some short-lived science fiction series (Fantastic Journey, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, Quark, a few shows that I thought were good but were killed by their time slot (Paper Moon), some summer replacement series and other variety shows...I'm sure there are a lot more.
I would totally watch this! I would love to see The Texas Wheelers (sitcom with a very young Mark Hamill) and The Quest (the western with Tim Matheson and Kurt Russell) for example. I used to say that I was the kiss of death for TV shows. If I liked a new show it's odds of being cancelled were very high!
Old 15 September 2017, 03:10 PM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Great movie!

Town Talk With George: Sex with furniture! How do you feel?
Old 15 September 2017, 03:13 PM

Glasses

My station, like Dawnstorm's, would probably tank rather quickly.

I'd like to take the SF series that SyFy killed prematurely (Eureka, Warehouse 13, Sanctuary, Stargate Atlantis, etc.) and (using time-travel) continue them with the original casts and crews. See if they really were ready to die.

No zombies, werewolves, vampires, fairy-tales or superheroes need apply.

Seaboe
Old 15 September 2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'd start a channel for good shows cancelled way too early or just overall, screwed over by the networks.
soooo, basically 24-7 Firefly?

Old 15 September 2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Wheel....of.....Fish!

Something I've felt the lack of recently would be a news show that was just news -- say, 30 minutes of just telling me what happened today, with no analysis, no pundits, no pro- and con-, no "debates." There are places for all of that, of course, but I've been staying away from news shows lately because so much of it is just yapping about the news rather than saying what it is.
Love that idea, and you've listed some great choices. One more, a non-science fiction one, When Things Were Rotten.
Old 15 September 2017, 03:45 PM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

No zombies, werewolves, vampires, fairy-tales or superheroes need apply.

Seaboe
No Sharknado movies?
Old 15 September 2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'd start a channel for good shows cancelled way too early or just overall, screwed over by the networks.
So basically your programming would be the Fox Network line up from the last 10-20 years?
Old 15 September 2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
One more, a non-science fiction one, When Things Were Rotten.
Aaah - loved that show! I even sort of remember the theme song.
Old 15 September 2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Aaah - loved that show! I even sort of remember the theme song.
Me too. And look what I found ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO2Viv8dQJ4
Old 15 September 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
Love that idea, and you've listed some great choices. One more, a non-science fiction one, When Things Were Rotten.
That one at least is actually available on DVD....
Old 15 September 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Can we start there, but add on? 30 minutes every two or three hours spent giving a short rundown of each of the most important stories for that area. Another 30 minutes giving a short rundown of things going on elsewhere. And the rest of the time spent going into specific stories in detail, 30 minutes to an hour on each one -- with which ones are chosen for this being selected, at least half, by random drawing, rather than by the specific newscaster's idea of what's important. Come to think of it, ten minutes out of each of the 30 minute segments should be selected the same way.

The only problem is, when would I get anything else done?
Maybe we could put together a new version of NBC News Overnight. (Read Linda Ellerbe's And So It Goes: Adventures in Television, if you can find a copy...)
Old 16 September 2017, 02:10 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
So basically your programming would be the Fox Network line up from the last 10-20 years?
Quite a bit of it, yes. Gotta wonder why Joss Whedon kept going back to them. Does Whedon hate success or maybe he feels there's not enough pain in life, so he pushes futile projects to satisfy his desire for pain?

Though I will have stuff by Greg Weisman, stuff like Gargoyles (minus any episodes past The Journey), Spectacular Spider-Man, and, if the Netflix thing doesn't pan out, Young Justice. No wait, even if the Netflix thing doesn't pan out, just to give the middle finger to Cartoon Network.

Seriously, Execs, unless you can point to clear and convincing proof that Greg Weisman or Joss Whedon have gone Michael Cimino-level insane, let them do their thing. They proven that they know what they are doing and can deliver on their promises.

Also on the animated front, Avengers:Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Megas XLR, and Green Lantern: the Animated Series. Green Lantern aired around the same time as Young Justice and did have a satisfying ending to the series, but Young Justice was so amazing, it kind of overshadowed Green Lantern. Feel more people should know about it; it basically said to the movie, "Why don't you let us show you how it's done?"

Though will also bring back Agent Carter and Powerless. I also want Alphas and My Name Is Earl to be given satisfying conclusions.

Heck maybe I should just have a channel dedicated to all those great superhero cartoons, both X-Men and X-Men Evolution, the entire DCAU, and anything else that deserves to be there.