snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 12 November 2009, 11:30 AM
SsnakeBite

Icon27 The Beatles never broke up

First of all, sorry if it's already been covered. I searched both the site and the forums and I found nothing, so I assume it hasn't been brought up yet.

Lately, on another forum, I stumbled upon this website: http://thebeatlesneverbrokeup.com/

The creator of this site claims to possess an audiotape of an unreleased album by the Beatles. Well, it's not the first time we see such a rumor come up, but this one has two twists: the first one is that this time, the guy actually has evidence to back up his claim, since the songs can actually be downloaded, and I must admit they do sound like Beatles material (a member of the forums on which I learned about that site noted that the first song is a remix of Band on the Run, but another member quickly noted that it's not far fetched to believe it could have been meant to be a song for the band and recorded as such, but unreleased).

The second twist is absolutely insane. You see, the creator of the site claims that he obtained the tape... via dimensional traveling. And honestly, even though I'm ready to believe in a lot of paranormal stuff, this is very hard to swallow to say the least. What especially struck me is that the author gives a lot of details about that parallel dimension really don't have anything to do with the story of how he got the tape, especially when he starts mentioning the random things they chat about and describe the house, or that he mixed the tapes so he wouldn't get caught, etc.
Also, he travels in another dimension, and what he focuses the most on is an audiotape?! That just strikes me as... odd.

So my theory is that it's some guy trying to create buzz as a writer or something (hence the number of seemingly unimportant details), or just for the attention. And the tape? Well, I could believe the Beatles have some unreleased songs, or even a whole album (after all, if Tupac Shakur kept releasing albums after his death, why couldn't the Beatles do it? :P), but I assume it's either remixes of their songs/solo songs, or something made by a band who was heavily influenced by them.
Old 12 November 2009, 06:09 PM

Icon106

They just sound like mash-ups of the various Beatles' solo efforts to me.
Old 12 November 2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsnakeBite View Post
The second twist is absolutely insane. You see, the creator of the site claims that he obtained the tape... via dimensional traveling. And honestly, even though I'm ready to believe in a lot of paranormal stuff, this is very hard to swallow to say the least.
Sounds a bit like the short story The Twelfth Album by Stephen Baxter.
Old 12 November 2009, 07:09 PM

Skull

Who was it who said that the Beatles would not reunite as long as John Lennon stayed dead?
Old 12 November 2009, 07:25 PM

Sounds like viral promotion for a movie. Well, at least it could be.
Old 12 November 2009, 08:47 PM

Klaatu all over again.
Old 12 November 2009, 10:51 PM

From what I understand, there are still a bunch of unreleased Beatles recordings in the vaults. Plenty of them are just alternate takes of already released album tracks, but there are a few songs that never saw the light of day. Naturally I can't access my books at the moment to look any of them up.

I remember reading an article in one of the British music mags about a "lost" Beatles album called Everest*, which was to have come out just before the recording sessions for Abbey Road began. The track listing was a mix of B-side songs (stuff like "Old Brown Shoe" that ended up on Past Masters) and songs that ended up on the first solo releases by the four members. There was even a four song EP. All fictional of course, but it sounds like the discovered record in the OP. Naturally I can't remember the track listing.

-RB

*Everest was an early title idea for the album that became Abbey Road, which was scuppered when nobody wanted to go to the Himalayas to get their photos taken in front of the mountain. So they went out into the street in front of the studio instead.
Old 13 November 2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Halloween Party DJ (Talking to Death) : "Do you have The Compleat Beatles?"
Death : NOT YET.
- Bill Door
Old 13 November 2009, 01:02 PM

Thought this might be of interest to Beatles' fans (and even non-fans, it's very well written):

Scenes From An Alternate Universe Where The Beatles Accepted Lorne Michael's Generous Offer
Old 14 November 2009, 10:26 PM

Personally, I'm wondering how long it will be before we have computers that are so advanced that they can analyze a band's music and create new music in that band's style, with comparable quality. Such a computer could produce new Beatles albums right and left, with the music, hypothetically, being just as good as what they produced in the sixties.

David
Old 15 November 2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
They just sound like mash-ups of the various Beatles' solo efforts to me.
Yeah, me too. I'm quite familiar with the Beatles' solo projects, and recognize almost everything I'm hearing. I've listened to about half of it, and it seems that each track is a mix of one song by John or Paul, and one song by George or Ringo. For example, "Four Guys" is a mix of Paul's "Band on the Run" and George's "When We Was Fab", and some of the instrumentation on it is original, I assume something played by whoever did the remixing. That said, it's pretty good stuff, IMO. Whoever did this knew what they were doing and the results are quite listen-able.

David
Old 15 November 2009, 12:58 AM

Anyone else read the story of how he came by this tape and think of the plot of Leather Goddesses of Phobos?

One day I'll finish that game.
Old 15 November 2009, 01:11 AM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Anyone else read the story of how he came by this tape and think of the plot of Leather Goddesses of Phobos?

One day I'll finish that game.
Are you still in the cell in the Prison Area?

LGOP didn't come to mind upon reading the story, but I suspect that there was supposed to be some sort of significance to it supposedly happening on 9/9/09 and the tripping over a rabbit hole...

It's a cute tale, but obviously it's just a bunch of remixes with a picture of a cassette tape that is actually from the 60s or 70s by the looks of it.
Old 15 November 2009, 01:55 AM

Still smelling the slice of pizza in the toilet. (Yes I have the scratch and sniff card).

Nah I'm at the plant monster in the divide in the forest path.

I got further twenty years ago, then my C64 floppy drive decded to kill itself.