snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 14 November 2017, 08:55 PM

Icon09 School worksheet quizzed students on "boy toy," "trophy wife" and affairs

Middle school students in a Virginia home economics class were mistakenly given a worksheet that quizzed them on what an extramarital affair is as well as "boy toy" and "trophy wife."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/virgini...-wife-affairs/
Old 14 November 2017, 09:01 PM

The headline and the lead are, well, misleading. Those slang terms were someones responses to questions, albeit ones that lead to those answers.

Note: It may indeed be inappropriate for the test to ask 11 year olds "what do you call a much younger beautiful wife," but the test did not ask "define trophy wife."

ETA: Another nitpick, it was not "mistakenly" given. It was given with (arguably) poor judgement. Mistakenly given would be if the teacher had two stacks of papers, and gave the elementary class the stack for the college level human sexuality class that she teaches in the evenings.
Old 14 November 2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
had downloaded the worksheet from the internet
Well, there's your problem!

I'm guessing the mistake, if any, was perhaps that the teacher thought that the worksheet was from a valid elementary school resource site and not (I'm guessing) a joke website.
Old 15 November 2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'm guessing the mistake, if any, was perhaps that the teacher thought that the worksheet was from a valid elementary school resource site and not (I'm guessing) a joke website.
I'm guessing the mistakes was either (1) the teacher never actually read the test or (2) the teacher isn't all that bright.
Old 15 November 2017, 02:22 PM

I note that the child who took the test pictured apparently already knew the answers. So the supposed idea of outraged innocence doesn't really hold up.

(I agree that nevertheless the questions didn't belong on a middle school test; but it does seem very much like an illustration of 'don't present to your class things you downloaded from the net without checking them first!'; which I would think should qualify as A Thing You Shouldn't Need To Tell People.)
Old 16 November 2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Middle school students in a Virginia home economics class were mistakenly given a worksheet that quizzed them on what an extramarital affair is as well as "boy toy" and "trophy wife."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/virgini...-wife-affairs/

Every FM morning show has been having a field day with this I'm sure.